PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

teddat is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Try this screen test with your EVO and report back

Yes they did the update. Ive been holding out for a root. Anyway. It's not just evos. But I'm reading about heroes. Droid incredible.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Probably what your seeing with the foam could be static electricity interfering with the device. That would not surprise me.

Sent from my EVO

Droidrox39
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Threadstarter

teddat is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisdomWolfX View Post
I have noticed this issue when using a third part USB charger. I hadn't thought it was a grounding issue, but I tried to duplicate the issue here. I had no issues on wood desk or on a stack of papers. Then I saw someone mention styrofoam and I happened to have a stack of styrofoam bowls at my desk. I flipped one over, placed my phone on top of it and tried again. Sure enough I have the laggy issue and inability to pull the notification bar down. Very strange indeed.
Ya odd. Try with a Droid. IPhone Nokia. No issues. Of course no one uses Styrofoam like that daily. But that just tells us its issue for some of us with varying degrees of severity. For me its normal things like any desk, paper bed, stack of newspapers, magazines.....
Old 06-08-2010, 11:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

firefli is a n00b

I noticed that it is more affected by resting on a cushion then it is on my desk. Also, if it rests on my leg it will work fine even though it's on top of clothing. So it seems that different materials affect it more or less too. I also, think that this info lends credit to the fact that those of us with the problem know how to pull the curtain down.

Last edited by firefli; 06-09-2010 at 01:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:48 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Works fine for me....tested on a glass computer desk, and on a mouse pad on top of the same desk.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:32 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Titan, Touch Pro, Touch pro 2, EVO!

class1c is just getting started

I was looking though the forums and my entire screen was going a lil erratic and hitting Links when I wasnt even touching them. I just so happen to see this post and took it off the couch. Go figure it works fine now. I had the evo resting on my micrfiber couch, touching the screen with one finger. So mines doing it. Only noticed it on the couch now so far.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evolte

grad20_09 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDXL View Post
I also noticed this. It seems entirely relegated to the very upper-most portion of the screen, where the notification panel is. The rest of the screen will register just fine for me. Holding it with my other hand or plugging it in via USB will eliminate this behavior. I'm using a stock retail evo.
I didn't think i was experiencing the problem as I tested it earlier, however this morning the taskbar would not drag down while laying on my bed. Touching the sides of the case solved this issue. I think we are fairly lucky it (seems) to be only the top portion of the screen? At the same time, how often are we not going to be holding the device and be poking at it?
Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

Aukutsutsu is just getting started

This problem is caused by the way in which capacitive screens work. It is hard to understand unless you have had experience with electrical engineering, but I will try to explain it in a simple way.

The non-conductive surfaces you speak of (especially beds with sheets, styrofoam and plastic) are all capable of maintaining an electrical charge. When the phone is placed on this surface, the phone will also pick up this charge in the plastic case/glass screen. This excess charge will affect the capacitive screen because capacitive screens rely on electrical charge to work. When you pick up the phone, you are grounding the case (because skin is conductive) and removing the excess charge built up on the case/screen of the phone, and the screen will function normally.

Edit: Sorry forgot to say this is why only some people experience the issue and others not. The problem is COMPLETELY dependent upon the environment (surface charges, etc.)

Last edited by Aukutsutsu; 06-09-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

Nagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on repNagrom Nniuq is halfway to VIP status based on rep

The problem occurs only if the phone is able to move. I have tested it on every material I can think of and I only have problems if the phone can move. If it can't move, it works fine.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

It's gotta be some sort of grounding issue as others have said. I just managed to recreate it on mine. It's a retail device, purchased from Radio Shack on launch day. I set it on my couch cushion and was unable to swipe the notification area down using just one finger (in fact tapping and holding doesn't even bring up the curtain). However, as soon as I touched the top and bottom of the device with two other fingers of the same hand, i was able to pull it down. Also, as with everyone else, it only affects the top portion of the screen. I was able to swipe down the unlock screen w/o any issues.

Also, I didn't notice anyone else mention this, but it also works fine while plugged into the charger.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Evo 4G