PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 04:42 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

CrossroadsTech is keeping up the good workCrossroadsTech is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
[7/2/10 PRL 51926m/65144m] Verizon VOICE ONLY NETWORK Popup Modified PRL FIX

After a month of discussion and testing on the Voice-only network pop-up thread, I'm creating a new thread just for my fix and to make it easy for users to see when I update my modified PRL. For more info and discussion about the problem itself, please visit this thread:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98401

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRL FIX FOR VOICE-ONLY NETWORK POP-UP

Here is my fix for the annoying Voice-Only Network pop up message that plagues Verizon custom ROM users on the HTC Touch Pro 2 when they travel outside or lose Verizon Wireless native (owned and operated) coverage. This PRL is exactly the same as the current Verizon Nationwide Plan PRL except I have disabled the Enhanced Roaming Indicator (ERI) so no "Extended Network" or "Roaming" is displayed. I will keep it updated as new PRLs are released by Verizon.

Enjoy!
CrossroadsTech

-----------------------------------------------------------------

51926m - Current VZW PRL
65144m - Current VZW PRL (Hybrid)

Change Log

7/2/10 - Released Modified PRL 65144 (Hybrid PRL)
* Per user request, modified the Hybrid PRL that prefers former Alltel networks over Verizon legacy networks where the Alltel/Verizon network integration is not yet complete.

6/28/10 - Released Modified PRL 51926 (Legacy Verizon).
* Left the "Verizon Wireless" banner on Verizon "Home" systems to see if this will solve the problem with a user reported data application not working and increased compatability with new ROMs auto-provisioning feature.
* Set roaming indicator to off for all non-Verizon systems... no triangle.

2/15/10 - Released Modified PRL 51739 (Legacy Verizon).
* Decided to use legacy PRL instead of Alltel-Hybrid as Alltel networks are almost all completely integrated with Verizon.
* Set roaming triangle to flash when on Extended Network and solid when on Roaming (mostly International) network.

1/8/10 - Initial release of the Modified PRL Fix. Used (Alltel-Hybrid) PRL version 65084. Roaming indicator (triangle) is off for all SIDs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

How to install:

1. Download the current modified PRL and save it to your phones "\My Documents".
2. Dial ##775 and press Talk
3. "Please Enter Unlock Code" displays. Enter 000000 and press OK. (six zeros)
4. Press "Update PRL" and press Menu (right softkey). Select Edit.
5. Press Browse and select the current modified PRL. Press ok (top right).
6. Press Menu and select OK.
7. "Update the items?" displays. Press Yes. Press ok to reboot the phone.

The install is successful when you don't see the "Extended Network" banner on the top of the Today screen anymore when outside the Verizon-owned coverage area. I recommend keeping the modified PRL file on your phone in case you need to reload it back. (See FAQ Question #5 as to why.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAQ -- Updated 7/2/10

1. What is causing the Voice Only Network pop up message?

It's still unknown exactly why. It only shows up on Custom ROMs for Verizon users whenever the "Extended Network" ERI is displayed on the phone. "Extended Network" is displayed when you lose service or leave the Verizon owned and operated coverage area and are "free" roaming on another cellular provider (like US Cellular or Cellular South). This fix disables the roaming and extended network ERIs thus no more pop-up message.

2. What is the Enhanced Roaming Indicator (ERI)?

To simplify it, it is the fancy text that is displayed on the Today (main) screen that says "Verizon Wireless" or "Extended Network."

3. Can I get roaming charges from using this modified PRL?

This PRL is exactly the same as the official Verizon Nationwide PRL with the same version number except for the text on the Today screen. As long as you are on a current postpaid Nationwide plan, you should be fine. With that said, use at your own risk!

4. How do I get the original/official Verizon PRL back?

Easy, just call *228 and select option 2. The "Verizon Wireless" text will magically reappear after the phone reboots.

5. All of a sudden, "Extended Network" or the pop up returned. What happened?

Verizon's OTA programming system pushed you a new updated PRL. Don't panic. Follow the install instructions again and reinstall the modified PRL.

6. How often should I update the modified PRL?

Verizon lately has been releasing new PRLs at least monthly. I will try to post an updated modified PRL within a few days after a release. It is not a necessity that you have the latest PRL unless you are having voice and/or data coverage issues. With that said, I would recommend updating your modified PRL at least every quarter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Files
File Type: zip 51739m.prl.zip (5.2 KB, 198 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip 65084m.prl.zip (5.2 KB, 207 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip 51926m.prl.zip (3.6 KB, 347 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip 65144m.prl.zip (3.6 KB, 1028 views) Click for barcode!

Last edited by CrossroadsTech; 07-31-2010 at 11:48 AM.
This post has been thanked 15 times.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:02 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Verizon

zoaguy is a n00b
Re: [2/15/10 PRL 51739m] Verizon VOICE ONLY NETWORK Popup Modified PRL FIX

Well I am dealing with the "Voice Only Network" pop up quite regularly and found the forum describing a fix. The only problem is that I cannot load the PRL file. When dialing #775 I get a message saying this number has been changed or disconnected. Is there any other way to load this fix? Please help, this problem is driving me crazy!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:35 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Just wanted to drop in and say that if you run MR. X Rom or MightyROM auto provisioning will not work if you used this modified PRL. You will have to run it manually as we use the ERI to identify your network to auto provision. So if it no longer reports "Verizon Wireless" you wont provision automatically.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!

Last edited by Mr. X; 06-22-2010 at 10:46 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoaguy View Post
Well I am dealing with the "Voice Only Network" pop up quite regularly and found the forum describing a fix. The only problem is that I cannot load the PRL file. When dialing #775 I get a message saying this number has been changed or disconnected. Is there any other way to load this fix? Please help, this problem is driving me crazy!
##775 not #775
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:44 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: TP2--Thunderbolt
Carrier: The Big Red

mcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIPmcluvntheboss is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
##775 not #775
On some roms you need to dial ##775# for it to work
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 AM
TdiDave

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Any updated PRL newer than the 2/15/10 version ? I have been dropping calls like never before.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level
Send a message via Yahoo to razorloves

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiDave View Post
Any updated PRL newer than the 2/15/10 version ? I have been dropping calls like never before.
a modified one? no, but maybe someone that knows how to edit prl files can make one for you. have you already installed a regular newer prl to verify that it fixes your dropped calls problem?

Last edited by razorloves; 06-24-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:03 AM
VIP Member

razorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation levelrazorloves can't get a higher reputation level

oh..i forgot i still had cdma workshop installed on my pc. i'll see if i can figure out what the OP changed and apply it to a new prl.

Last edited by razorloves; 06-25-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:45 PM
TdiDave

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorloves View Post
a modified one? no, but maybe someone that knows how to edit prl files can make one for you. have you already installed a regular newer prl to verify that it fixes your dropped calls problem?
I havent tried a over the prl update to the newest because im not in a verizon area so cant do it.
So i constantly get that popup if im not using a modified PRL.

I just tried both of the PRL's you posted and they both still give the voice only pop-up. So i guess im back to the 1/8/10 65084, the only one that has worked. The 51739 from above did work but the constant blinking icon drove me nuts.

Last edited by TdiDave; 06-24-2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdiDave View Post
I havent tried a over the prl update to the newest because im not in a verizon area so cant do it.
So i constantly get that popup if im not using a modified PRL.

I just tried both of the PRL's you posted and they both still give the voice only pop-up. So i guess im back to the 1/8/10 65084, the only one that has worked. The 51739 from above did work but the constant blinking icon drove me nuts.
ok...i must have missed something. i'll look through it again. thanks

even though you get the voice only pop-up, it still shows your signal strength, right?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro 2