PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

takmsdsm is keeping up the good worktakmsdsm is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via ICQ to takmsdsm Send a message via AIM to takmsdsm Send a message via MSN to takmsdsm Send a message via Yahoo to takmsdsm
MMS Download Issues (NOT WIFI ISSUE)

Anyone else having MMS download issues.

Just to note:
running fresh 1.0 (but have the same problem stock)
Errors both in Handcent and Stock Messaging app.
WiFi is off (never have even turned Wifi on)

I called sprint last night and they had me to a update profile.

I read on another forum that something on the account is getting cleared out on sprints side, so i had the tech check that and she mumbled something about picmail email address missing on her side. She sent me a test MMS and it worked. As soon as I tried to download a message I had received previous to the Sprint call, it went back to not working anymore.

Here are some links describing similar problems:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/23095

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-...-download.html

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thre...reqsorting=dec

Interesting quotes:
Quote:
Hey, the rep I was speaking with mentioned a workaround for that. Call in and ask for the "Advanced Tech Support department".
Quote:
I had this problem, and went through **** and back to fix it over the phone.. Finally I took it into the store, and turns out something was wrong with a setting in my account. They fixed this at a local store. Only difference, my pic mail had NEVER worked correctly, but the first thing I did was hoook up my wifi from my house. So maybe you and I had the same problem. But It works now!!
Quote:
I had this issue! Dont waste your time getting a new phone.. just take yours to a local store, and have them check your account. There's a number they have to change.
Quote:
Update your profile menu--settings--about phone--system updates--update profile.
reboot the phone
call sprint, tell them you do have the latest profile for your phone and they need to disable sms/mms, send one to verify it's blocked, then enable sms/mms, then verify again.

This is what was done to fix a hero here after the update, and it has worked fine since.
Quote:
What I would suggest -
Take it to your local Sprint store.
Make the Tech send you several MMS messages, and let him see they don't open.
They replace the phone.
When it happens again, take that one in as well.
Raise a little fuss, get a nice credit (they love to give credits to shut customers up), then explain that it happens on 2 phones, therefore it's a PROBLEM ON THEIR END. Politely tell them they could have saved the cost of the new phone + shipping + your time and trouble + the amount (if any) of credit you got if the tech had listened to something ANOTHER TECH figured out already for many others.

I love Sprint. Usually everything works. But they are stubborn as hell when it comes to troubleshooting. Their techs refuse to think outside of their box. In a case like yours, it's simply unacceptable.
I am about to call sprint again. But here is my hypothesis. Our Heros are able to somehow clear out some settings on sprints servers. I am not sure if this is due to hitting "Download" multiple times, or something else. But this seems like a huge flaw in the MMS system or in the phone.

Last edited by takmsdsm; 12-15-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Send a message via ICQ to takmsdsm Send a message via AIM to takmsdsm Send a message via MSN to takmsdsm Send a message via Yahoo to takmsdsm
Re: MMS Download Issues (NOT WIFI ISSUE)

PS - If they get it working again, I will attempt to break MMS use again, and see what they see on their system.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Hero - Fresh ROM

flipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIPflipzmode is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by takmsdsm View Post
PS - If they get it working again, I will attempt to break MMS use again, and see what they see on their system.
Maybe it has something to do with whatever metadata is attached to those old mms messages. Because your account was setup wrong when they got delivered, the wrong info got attached, which breaks it again?

I used to work data tier 2 support for Sprint a long time ago. Ask them to tell you what was actually wrong / what they were changing. Tell them you are interested.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Successfully broke it while they were on the phone, with only new messages. Tech said he was going to review diagnostic stuff, then blind transferred me to Assurion. UGH.

Round 3 begins.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Kind of a BIG Deal
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

athlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to athlet1c Send a message via Yahoo to athlet1c Send a message via Skype™ to athlet1c

Just an FYI Handcent within itself did have a prob until this morning. I exchanged emails with the dev and its updated now.
Thank a Fellow Geeker If you have been helped by hitting the button below
Old 12-09-2009, 01:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Would Handcent cause the stock app to have issues? I wouldnt think so.

Last edited by takmsdsm; 12-09-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:45 PM
Kind of a BIG Deal
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

athlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuffathlet1c knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to athlet1c Send a message via Yahoo to athlet1c Send a message via Skype™ to athlet1c

Quote:
Originally Posted by takmsdsm View Post
Would Handcent cause the stock app to have issues? I wouldnt think so.
Not at all . I was just advising for those whom had problems with Handcent recently. I do believe a problem with the stock App would cause any other MMS issues as the 3rd party apps feed of it
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athlet1c View Post
Not at all . I was just advising for those whom had problems with Handcent recently. I do believe a problem with the stock App would cause any other MMS issues as the 3rd party apps feed of it
Yep, pretty much think the same. I am 100% sure its on their end and not mine. They keep wanting me to do a hard reset, yet, picmail will work for a few messages after they make changes on their side.
Old 12-09-2009, 01:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

diplomat2387 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to diplomat2387

I was having the same issue...I did a hard reset on my phone and then it stopped working a few days later...I eventually got a new phone but now its happening again....Ughh
Old 12-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Well after another long call, and seeing the above message, I decided to just let her note my account, and dropped the call. Spending 3 hours on picmail issues is ridiculous. And i knew I wasnt alone on here with this, thanks for chiming in diplomat. I refuse to do a hard reset just because its their "fallback" fix, when i know the issue is on their side.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > Legacy HTC Android Devices > HTC Hero