PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 02:09 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need some unbiased input on the Omnia

Hello Omnia people. I'm thinking about picking up an Omnia to play with while I wait for some of the upcoming phones with the large WVGA screens. But I wanted some opinions from some of you Omnia users on some of the phone features.

1: How is video playback on the Omnia? Is it choppy or does it seem to jump around a little? Any pixelation, or is the playback pretty clear?

2: Whats the general consensus on TouchWiz? Does everybody like it, or ditch it for ROMs with 6.5 or Manila?

3: I know the picture quality is about as good as you can get with a phone camera, but how is the video recording?

4: Do most of the apps desinged for the HTC devices work equally well on the Omnia or are there a lot of apps that dont work well?

I'll search the Omnia forums for most of the fact based questions I have, I just wanted to ask about these since they are more opinionated type questions to get a general consensus. Thanks in advance Omnia guys!

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 10-12-2009, 02:32 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: Need some unbiased input on the Omnia

Omnia definately is more snappy than the diamond/tp, video playback is better, the screen is worst since it is only wqvga resolution, so there are a lot of apps that dont support it unfortunately, like the HTC apps wont work. But i love titanium and it works great on the omnia, no lag when sliding between panels, screen is large, video camera is definately better than diamond and pro, its pretty good for a phone. Never really used touch wiz since it just came with 6.5 when i bought it used.

Its more clear on the phone, photobucket likes to f**k the quality

Last edited by bikeandestroyx; 10-12-2009 at 02:38 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:51 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Threadstarter

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Thanks bro, that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. What apps don't work that you wish would work? Oh yeah, how does that optical mouse work?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Thanks bro, that's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. What apps don't work that you wish would work? Oh yeah, how does that optical mouse work?
no prob man, well optical mouse is alright i dont use it just cuase it takes longer, its seems like something used to show off the phone lol
Well manila would be nice, but idk i cant think of anything off the top of my head since i havent used my omnia much.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

the camera isnt quite as accurate as the Dare or enVtouch but the video camera is much better on playback and records a much better video.

dont know about roms and such as ive just added some custom tweak type and nothing like vanilla or 6.5 roms

Last edited by mark elmore; 10-12-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Pure (TD2, Topaz)
Carrier: AT&T

greenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuffgreenskeeper805 knows their stuff

I still love this phone. I've put dvd's directly on the phone and play them back and they look great. Titanium or MobileShell is the way to go. Manila2D is cool too. The Sammy ui is cool to show people but ultimately it's eye candy and not very functional. I agree with the mouse being something that you can show people, but I never use it, more of a novelty. The camera take wonderful pics as long as it's set for the right environment. I'm a golf course superintendent and I've taken pics through a magnifying glass and you can see the individual cells on 16x. Software is software. Everything i've installed runs very well and quick. If you read RSS feeds, the one that come with the omnia blows, definately go with a third party reader.

Don't forget to click THANKS for those who have helped!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID

rolijen is becoming a great contributor

Omnia is just a great phone. I recently upgraded to the new HTC Touch Pro2. Amazing phone. Everything I wanted--except the thing is heavy. So much so, that I returned it and am back to my trusty Omnia. I'll wait for Omnia II or consider the HTC Imagio. I thought I wanted a hardware keyboard (it was nice but not worth the extra bulk) but not if it makes the phone way thicker and way heavier.

The Omnia II is supposed to weigh just a touch more than the Omnia (which weighs in at just over 4 oz.). The TP2 weighs almost 7 oz. It's a shame that it's such a brick because, otherwise, it's an amaing phone.

Samsung's TouchWiz is terrible. Mobile Shell or Manila are WAY better. Titanium is not my cup of tea. Basically just a ripoff of Manila only done poorly. ANyway, I'm sure you know all that, I just needed to vent AND to say go for the Omnia. It's awesome.

My 2ยข

For those about to rock (We salute you)

Last edited by rolijen; 10-13-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Omnia i910
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

nitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good worknitrous9200 is keeping up the good work

The Omnia has very good (but not great) hardware, paired with decent software out of the box that can be made dramatically better with the 3rd party ROMs. WinMo is super customizable yet still a bit flaky at it's core as I'm sure you know already. Touchscreen keyboard is actually really good IMO. That being said, my next phone will most likely have a physical keyboard and Android unless WM7 turns out to be amazing.
1) Video playback is great with TCPMP phenom 3. Never had a problem with it.
2) TouchWiz is fun yet gimmicky. I can't see how someone could use it every day, especially when all of the content from the widgets combined could be fit onto one screen.
3) Seeing as the only phone I have right now to compare it to is a RAZR, the Omnia is tremendously better. It's only really good at 320x240 because at 640x480 I think it only does 15fps.
4) HTC never made a WQVGA phone as far as I know. Most of the apps don't work well but Manila 2D does. I used it for a while, it looks great and it's really fast. Other stuff like Teeter is the wrong resolution

ps - I use the mouse a lot when web browsing because it feels natural and the Omnia's build of Opera stinks at clicking on links.

Last edited by nitrous9200; 10-13-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola droid, droid eris for a backup

phullofphil is becoming a great contributor

wait a little bit and get the omnia 2
Old 10-14-2009, 06:20 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Omnia1

mark elmore is keeping up the good workmark elmore is keeping up the good work
Wirelessly posted (Omnia1: Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; Windows CE; Opera Mobi/9.5; U; en) VZW:SCH-i910 PPC 240x400)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous9200
The Omnia has very good (but not great) hardware, paired with decent software out of the box that can be made dramatically better with the 3rd party ROMs. WinMo is super customizable yet still a bit flaky at it's core as I'm sure you know already. Touchscreen keyboard is actually really good IMO. That being said, my next phone will most likely have a physical keyboard and Android unless WM7 turns out to be amazing.
1) Video playback is great with TCPMP phenom 3. Never had a problem with it.
2) TouchWiz is fun yet gimmicky. I can't see how someone could use it every day, especially when all of the content from the widgets combined could be fit onto one screen.
3) Seeing as the only phone I have right now to compare it to is a RAZR, the Omnia is tremendously better. It's only really good at 320x240 because at 640x480 I think it only does 15fps.
4) HTC never made a WQVGA phone as far as I know. Most of the apps don't work well but Manila 2D does. I used it for a while, it looks great and it's really fast. Other stuff like Teeter is the wrong resolution

ps - I use the mouse a lot when web browsing because it feels natural and the Omnia's build of Opera stinks at clicking on links.
thanks for the mouse/Opera tip. huge improvement
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM Other Manufacturers > Samsung Omnia