PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Samsung Epic Touch (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=395)
-   -   Your opinions on the Epic Touch 4G (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=147074)

gTen 09-17-2011 07:05 AM

Your opinions on the Epic Touch 4G

List the Pros and Cons that you have experienced with the Epic Touch 4g so far!

uofajac 09-17-2011 10:38 AM

Re: Your opinions on the Epic Touch 4G

I love mine so far. The standard ringtones suck, but who really cares about that. Everything else is awesome. We need a dedicated forum for this phone asap. I'd rather hang here than over at xda.

Can anyone make this happen for us?

gTen 09-17-2011 12:02 PM

we are working on it...so far we will use this section then everything will be moved to a permanent forum once we can get a hold of an admin..sorry :(

jimmiekain 09-19-2011 05:05 AM

I'm having some issues with mine. It may be a defect. I listed them here... @gTen let me know what you think please.

[Q] Is mine a defect or is this normal? - xda-developers

Daren W. has been nice enough to help me out. I'm gonna go on and do a hard reset tomorrow and see if it helps.

gTen 09-19-2011 09:38 AM

1. this one sounds like it may be defective..this is similar to when we underclock phones and when they can't handle the low sleeping voltages it does not turn on..but its a guess hard to say..did this only happen once?

2. you can reconfigure 4g sleep settings in the EPST

3.have you tried temporarily to set it not turn off the screen at all?

4. does this also happen when you get a phone call while phone is on?

5. if this happens multiple times and you can replicate it..try a logcat..

6. you 100% sure that was the 3g icon and not the 1x icon? what is possible is 4g didn't connect and its at 1x and not 3g, thus data would not work.

jimmiekain 09-19-2011 01:21 PM

@gTen
1. Once while driving the phone home from the sprint store on friday (it was hooked up to a motorola car charger... could this have something to with it?

2. Do I need to be rooted to do that?

3. No I have not but I will and I will report back.

4. I have not tested it, I will and I will report back.

5. Its only happened once so far.

6. 1000% sure. Next time it happens I will take a screen shot and post it here.... More details: I can put the 4g on and the data will work fine and be super fast then maybe 5 or 10 mins later it just changes to both 3g and 4g then no data at all (It happened a whole bunch of times friday and saturday but not at all sunday. Lets see what happens today.)

I'm on my way to work so I wont be able to report back until I get home. :(

darren.wlsn1 09-19-2011 04:12 PM

jimmiekain 4g is not all around my are not sure about yours but mine jumps in and out at times. did you hard reset yet and i dont ever use a carcharger but thats just me but if i did it would not be one other than one thats for my device.

gTen 09-19-2011 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmiekain (Post 2145914)
@gTen
1. Once while driving the phone home from the sprint store on friday (it was hooked up to a motorola car charger... could this have something to with it?

Generally it shouldn't..how much amps is the charger?

Quote:

2. Do I need to be rooted to do that?
no

jimmiekain 09-20-2011 01:11 AM

@darren.wlsn1 if I just go on amazon and buy any samsung car charger will that work be better?

@gTen I have looked at the charger and I have no idea. It dose not say on it.

Here are some screens of the 3g and 4g being on at the same time. I even saw it do it w/ wifi so i took a screen of it too. I'm about to do hard reset and I will see it goes for a few days and report back.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...919-201439.png

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...919-005900.png

darren.wlsn1 09-20-2011 01:26 AM

i see no issue? looks like 4g just dropped? mine looks exactly like that now

jimmiekain 09-20-2011 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2146056)
i see no issue? looks like 4g just dropped? mine looks exactly like that now

does your data connection completely die too? When mine does it it has no connection and i have to turn off the 4g to get data back.

Did factory reset I'm gonna run it for a few days and report back.

jimmiekain 09-22-2011 09:17 PM

@darren.wlson1 and @gTen thanks guys

its been a few days since I have done a hard reset. Everything is running fine now. Like a champ! It still does the low ringer thing and also the 3g and 4g icons still come on but everything else is perfect!

darren.wlsn1 09-22-2011 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmiekain (Post 2146698)
@darren.wlson1 and @gTen thanks guys

its been a few days since I have done a hard reset. Everything is running fine now. Like a champ! It still does the low ringer thing and also the 3g and 4g icons still come on but everything else is perfect!

cool, i bricked one finally but new one is all good. (so far)

kozmo 09-22-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2146700)

Was bricking a goal? Seems like you do this quite a bit :mrgreen: . I'm leaning toward this or waiting to see if they get the Prime in Nov. or whenever it gets here.

jimmiekain 09-23-2011 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2146700)

How did you brick yours?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

KaliS 09-23-2011 10:54 AM

i've had mine for a couple days now and absolutely love it. i did think i would miss my keyboard, but the truth is that find myself turning the phone to the side and typing and the feeling is satisfied. it's smoother and faster than any device i have had...absolutely no lag.

one of the things i hear iphone sheeople talk about is that there phone is good to go out the box with minimal to no mods. the same is true for the epic, i don't see a need to put a custom ROM on at this point...the phone just works! i did put zedomax's kernel on, but that is because i wanted root & CWM really, not because the phone is deficient.

i like the new tw 4.0, but i'm back to using Go Launcher EX as i just really dig the functionality, features, and ability to personalize it with various themes.

the micro usb port being on the bottom and also the fact that there is a sdcard hidden inside the phone are my only 2 gripes i can think of, and they are steadily becoming non-issues as i get used to the device (only been 2 days so far).

oh, i forgot i do have two other major gripes:

1) the phone didn't come with accessories like a car charger, hdmi adapter as shown in some vids (i actually bought mine already and it arrived the day i got my et4g), or a pair of high-quality stereo headsets (not that i don't have them laying around already).

2) No 4g in my area (metro-detroit/dearbon michigan). kinda sucks not to be able to really take advantage of the full range of data speed.

darren.wlsn1 09-23-2011 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozmo (Post 2146721)
Was bricking a goal? Seems like you do this quite a bit :mrgreen: . I'm leaning toward this or waiting to see if they get the Prime in Nov. or whenever it gets here.

name the other device i bricked?
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmiekain (Post 2146759)
How did you brick yours?

i was doing alot of testing to try and get stock kernel running and ya we had a kernel but it was pieced together from gsm phones but were good now with a 100% stock kernel and cwm.

kozmo 09-23-2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2146786)
name the other device i bricked?

Took a minute to search, but right HERE... I knew it was in Vin's thread.

darren.wlsn1 09-23-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozmo (Post 2146814)
Took a minute to search, but right HERE... I knew it was in Vin's thread.

ya but that was sammys issue not something i did, you really can only "soft brick" old epics.

Riley 09-24-2011 01:19 AM

thread moved to new forum. thanks.

WorldWide 09-26-2011 10:03 AM

I played around with one at the store and I don't feel like it justifies me using my upgrade, maybe if one becomes available on Craigslist during the holidays like usual, there's already one selling for around $300 right now. Samsung makes some damn good hardware, but their support left a bad taste in my mouth with this Epic. I'm very tempted, but I'm gonna hold strong, the Epic still works well for me.

masetas 09-26-2011 11:22 PM

@WorldWide old epic is still a great device and it does everything I need it to do and more but this looks really good just ordered it I get it tomorrow and im hoping it lives up to all the hype and that I can get used to not having a keyboard.

WorldWide 09-27-2011 01:01 PM

Enjoy, I'm gonna wait til December and make a decision then.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using PPCGeeks

darren.wlsn1 09-27-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masetas (Post 2147370)
@WorldWide old epic is still a great device and it does everything I need it to do and more but this looks really good just ordered it I get it tomorrow and im hoping it lives up to all the hype and that I can get used to not having a keyboard.

it will and you will never miss kb but i highly recommend using new swype on there website and not swype thats pre loaded.

KaliS 09-27-2011 05:19 PM

I'm actually using SlideIT keyboard instead of swype and like it much more. it has different themes and many languages too. the black licorice theme keyboard is really nice on the et4g. not missing the hardware keyboard like I thought I would at all.

masetas 10-01-2011 12:14 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I got the phone a couple days ago been using it non stop to test it out so far its great.. Really love the battery life been able to go without charging for a day.. Screen size is crazy and combine with how skinny it is it feels like im holding a small tablet also it doesnt weigh anything. Super fast super bright colors. I havent had the need to install any custom rom or hacks since it runs so smooth and it comes with many options to customize out the box im still trying to learn all the little tricks.. The only thing I dont like is this crazy issue with the keyboard were on screen its always selecting the word I just typed but it doesnt highlight it just goes over it,also if I press on the screen near something I typed it will automatically highlight the neareat word and any key I press the highlighted word gets deleted...

Edit nevermind the whole keyboard issue i went into settings i changed the keyboard from swype to samsung keyboard and its way better and doesn't give me those issues i stated above and now i can really type faster using this keyboard i know swype is fast but i prefer to hit everykey than swype i guess just use to it ..

darren.wlsn1 10-01-2011 02:38 PM

masetas to fix your kb issue goto swypes website and register then dl new swype thats out, its so much better.

masetas 10-01-2011 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1 (Post 2148163)
masetas to fix your kb issue goto swypes website and register then dl new swype thats out, its so much better.

Will do thanks.. and hopefully CWM gets fixed and the whole LOS issue as well really want to try a custom rom even though this is pretty nice stock but developers always do a great job just hope they keep all functionality this phone comes with out the box and i want to get rid of the ads

demonlordoftheround 10-01-2011 08:37 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; MSM Build/FRX07) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Try Adfree in the Android Market to block ads.

darren.wlsn1 10-01-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2148207)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.2; en-us; MSM Build/FRX07) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Try Adfree in the Android Market to block ads.

who was complaining about "adds"?

demonlordoftheround 10-02-2011 12:23 AM

Ah, maybe he wanted to get rid of the ants.

I just got a GS2 for my wife, her first smart phone and she loves this beast.

darren.wlsn1 10-02-2011 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonlordoftheround (Post 2148233)

Ah, maybe he wanted to get rid of the ants.

I just got a GS2 for my wife, her first smart phone and she loves this beast.

yes it is and we now have "no CIQ" so sprint cant spy on us, been waiting for that hack.

PropagandaX 10-02-2011 09:30 AM

I just got this phone last night. I like it but I might be returning this today for the EVO 3d. The two main reasons for me: 1. The phone is just too big for me. I guess I have small hands cause I need both hands to use this thing, I am coming from an EVO which is the perfect size. 2. Feels very plasticy and light ans slippery, some might find this as a bonus but it kind of bothers me. Anyways overall I am just having an issue handling the phone, maybe its just a personal problem, i dont know.

darren.wlsn1 10-02-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PropagandaX (Post 2148251)
I just got this phone last night. I like it but I might be returning this today for the EVO 3d. The two main reasons for me: 1. The phone is just too big for me. I guess I have small hands cause I need both hands to use this thing, I am coming from an EVO which is the perfect size. 2. Feels very plasticy and light ans slippery, some might find this as a bonus but it kind of bothers me. Anyways overall I am just having an issue handling the phone, maybe its just a personal problem, i dont know.

lol, ya its defiantly personal issue if hads are too small. 3d cant hold gt4g's jock.

masetas 10-02-2011 02:07 PM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; SPH-D710 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:

Originally Posted by darren.wlsn1
Quote:

Originally Posted by PropagandaX (Post 2148251)

lol, ya its defiantly personal issue if hads are too small. 3d cant hold gt4g's jock.

LOL...

no ciq is awesome. i wonder what sprints reaction would be if they found out that devs are able to remove that crap

demonlordoftheround 10-02-2011 05:17 PM

Not too big for my hands. Holy crap is this thing fast!

bndfishing 10-02-2011 06:54 PM

After my first week I can say I will go back to HTC phones when the next one comes out. The signal quality of this phone is not as good as my EVO, the interface is not business/mobile friendly. The phone is great, fast, smooth, and looks great, I just don't like the interface and lower signal quality.

PropagandaX 10-02-2011 07:28 PM

Phone replaced now an owner of a 3d. Good to be with you for a day

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

masetas 10-02-2011 09:06 PM

propaganda good luck with that phone... imo the best phone is the phone that does everything i need it to do and more and does it flawlessly without any issues so if that phone does exactly what you need it do then thats the best phone for you to have

darren.wlsn1 10-02-2011 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masetas (Post 2148272)

LOL...

no ciq is awesome. i wonder what sprints reaction would be if they found out that devs are able to remove that crap

well now we got 3g working for free through sprints wifi hotspot app. lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by bndfishing (Post 2148291)
After my first week I can say I will go back to HTC phones when the next one comes out. The signal quality of this phone is not as good as my EVO, the interface is not business/mobile friendly. The phone is great, fast, smooth, and looks great, I just don't like the interface and lower signal quality.

signal is easily fixable by manually updating prl and ya evo is for you and way better specs...... lmao