PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Which is best overall/for me based on the info provided?
8gb iPhone 3G 8 6.45%
HTC Touch HD 99 79.84%
Other? 17 13.71%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
8gb iPhone 3G or HD?

Pleaes read everything before voting or posting.

Ok, I'm sure many have seen my sig, and clicked on it, and decided it was a scam. BUT, lets just pretend here that somehow crazily its true, and I can really get:

A. An 8gb iPhone 3G for ~$123.39, or
B. The HTC Touch HD for ~$208.22
C. Something else at a similar discount.

What would you guys vote I go for?

Before voting:
  • Please state very clearly and concisely why you voted the way you did.
  • Please only vote if you really kind of know what you're talking about concerning each device.
  • I know I may be asking a lot here...but lets at least do our best to not turn this into an iPhone bashing/worshipping thread.
  • The reason I chose the 8gb iPhone is because I have heard over and over that the HD comes standard w/ an 8gb card, can anyone verify the validity of this claim?
  • Understand that I haven't really seriously considered ever getting an iPhone too much at this point, I was mostly pretty much against them with good reason. Saw too many flaws. But hey, its still a pretty dang good device overall, a change might be nice, and they have made significant improvements.
  • Do not take into account resell value.
  • Do not choose the Other option unless you really do have a device in mind that really does beat both of these in seriousness. Please also list what device/why.
  • Disregard carrier and carrier pricing (I know the iPhones is $10000 for the contract).
  • Disregard the fact that I am now on EVDO Rev. A all the time and will be jumping ship to GSM 2g/3g speeds.
It has been said many times that it just depends on the users needs.
  • I have an A2DP headset that I don't wanna give up, but it wouldn't be a huge sacrifice (albeit still a sacrifice all the same).
  • I am honestly planning on taking a lot of notes in classes/meetings with one of these devices with such great kb's and large screens. I can type 90-95% as well as I could on a hw kb using pcmk on my vogue (and a re-write much improving the kb even further is just about finished). Pretty much the only things that slow me down are 1. Insensitive screen on Vogue (HD is said to have VERY close to as sensitive a screen as the iPhone), 2. The device lags and falls behind (lacking drivers, processor/chipset sucks, don't think this is the case w/ the HD (plus it just flat out has more ram and a faster processor anyway which should at least help)), and 3. The buttons are too small so I miss too many keys for pcmk to correct (the Vogue screen = 2.8 inches, HD screen 3.8 inches). Bottom line, I can already type as good or better on my vogue than I can on an iPhone (tried it many many times, and yes I was surprised w/all the tech that went into that kb), and I need good office software. I have heard many times that the iPhone cannot edit office docs. Does this simply refer to MS office docs, or does it have no capability in that area whatsoever beyond simple notes applications.
  • I'm not a huge media guy. I definitely listen to music, but am not going to be doing much video watching.
Quick things that pull me to the HD over iPhone 3G:
  • Thinner, and smaller over-all device when compared to the iPhone 3G.
  • Larger screen.
  • 480 x 800 resolution compared to the iPhone 3G's 320 x 480.
  • Customization capability of WM.
  • Hopes to upgrade it to WM 6.5 and/or Android.
  • Am rather positive that using the latest pcmk in a month when the bugs are worked out that I would be able to type SSOOO much faster on this over the iPhone 3G (I'm telling you, I really do think I have tried about every SIP out there, nothing has beat pmck so far and it just got a whole upgrade and re-write). Especially in landscape...I would never miss a key (if my hands could reach that far ).
  • HTC claims 8 hours of talk time on that battery!
  • Replaceable battery.
  • A2DP
  • The ability to record vidoes/movies.
  • Easy MMS sending (does the iPhone 3G have this now? Have never been clear on whether that was ever resolved..)
  • Am already super familiar with it (ppc's). Flashing, registry, installing apps etc...
  • The FIVE megapixel camera (and ya I know, w/o more sensors resolution does no good etc...but how do we know that it doesn't have more sensors? Idk whatever).
  • Limitless advantages of having a card over built-in memory.
  • Multi-tasking, I have heard iPhone users complain that every time they open sms, they have to wait 1-2 seconds because the iPhone allows only the music app to run in the background. I have to say, this might drive me crazy. I love being able to close everything, but have a few oft-used apps only minimized so they they reopen instantly (yes, even on my crappy vogue lol).
  • Not tied in and roped down to anything really. I can install, modify, hack etc just about whatever is possible.
  • Easy to sync everything with my desktop (using Windows/linux on my desktop).
  • FM Radio.
  • More buttons.
  • Two camera's (I realize the front one is not as good as the back).
  • Already have an accessory or two that fits the micro-usb port.
  • etc etc..
Quick things that pull me to the iPhone 3G rather than the HD:
  • Such a complete flow of the OS
  • It's made by Apple (I am not a fanboy, have never owned anything apple in my life but an ipod nano bout 2 years back, I'm just saying this from what I've heard/seen etc.). Gotta be good right? But really lol, I really like the fact that they keep releasing updates/fixes etc...whereas windows/HTC doesn't give a dang about its customers, and without sites like this and xda - these devices would be terrible if not completely dead.
  • I have to admit that the UI is rather slick. Of course (assuming that the HD's performance outdoes that of the vogue to the level I expect) I could put even WA3 on the HD and make it look however the heck I wanted, customization customization...
  • Apple's advantage at this in that they built the iPhone OS from the ground up planning on total finger touchscreen use. I realize that I could simply do on the HD what I have done on the vogue, make the fonts bigger on menus and things like that, plus on such a large screen I imagine that there aren't too many things I would struggle too much with using my finger, but still...
  • Cheaper.
  • Treo-like ringer switch.
  • This isn't a positive, I'm just stating its not a negative. I understand that there are just about NO gps apps out there for the iPhone except for little ole google maps. I am not much of a gps user, and when I do use it on my Vogue, I use google maps/live search anyway. Not a priority at all to me.
  • Lighter.
  • Uhh...getting tired of this now. I wanna hear your votes!
Thanks for the help,
Jim.

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244

Last edited by jim2561; 11-17-2008 at 03:40 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Re: 8gb iPhone 3G or HD?

First of all, the HTC Touch HD isn't coming to the US, and it's a GSM device, so it definitely won't come to Sprint unless HTC decides to produce a CDMA version in the future. The only way you'll ever have one in your hands is if you import it, and good luck getting AT&T to support it.

Second, since you bring up the choice of two GSM phones (iPhone and Touch HD), I can assume that you're considering jumping ship from Sprint to AT&T. That's fine, as long as you live in a major city that actually has 3G coverage, otherwise, you're going to HATE the data service (which in my opinion is the only real reason to have a smartphone).

Since you are obviously looking to switch there, why not consider the HTC Fuze on AT&T? It's essentially the Touch Pro on the GSM network, which means you'll get a ton of actual support for it between here and XDA unlike the other two phones. You get the slide out keyboard, relatively small form factor, light weight, sturdy design (seriously the iPhone3G's are pretty flimsy plastic casing), and a lot more useful software and customization options.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Sprint Evo
Carrier: Sprint

ACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuffACHlLLES knows their stuff

You only have initial purchase price of the phones. Following factors really matters alot more though.

For me here's the bottom line, and I do have both.

Iphone 3g(16gb) w/ ATT cost me 330 for the phone, around 130 for the first month, plus 85/mo x 23 = 2 years of use is about 2415.

SERO w/ Touch Pro cost me 330 (after rebate), 45/mo x 24 mo = 1410 for 2 years of use. I do have to mention SERO offer free text, and 7PM off-peak while ATT doesn't offer free text, and off-peak starts at 9PM w/ rollover.

Myn's 2.2 RLS3
Netarchy-toastmod-4.21-bfs-bfq-havs-more-smartass-universal (More Aggressive Undervolting) //// Testing Ziggy471Kernel-EVO-update_signed-11052010-1609
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
First of all, the HTC Touch HD isn't coming to the US, and it's a GSM device, so it definitely won't come to Sprint unless HTC decides to produce a CDMA version in the future. The only way you'll ever have one in your hands is if you import it, and good luck getting AT&T to support it.

Second, since you bring up the choice of two GSM phones (iPhone and Touch HD), I can assume that you're considering jumping ship from Sprint to AT&T. That's fine, as long as you live in a major city that actually has 3G coverage, otherwise, you're going to HATE the data service (which in my opinion is the only real reason to have a smartphone).

Since you are obviously looking to switch there, why not consider the HTC Fuze on AT&T? It's essentially the Touch Pro on the GSM network, which means you'll get a ton of actual support for it between here and XDA unlike the other two phones. You get the slide out keyboard, relatively small form factor, light weight, sturdy design (seriously the iPhone3G's are pretty flimsy plastic casing), and a lot more useful software and customization options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACHlLLES View Post
You only have initial purchase price of the phones. Following factors really matters alot more though.

For me here's the bottom line, and I do have both.

Iphone 3g(16gb) w/ ATT cost me 330 for the phone, around 130 for the first month, plus 85/mo x 23 = 2 years of use is about 2415.

SERO w/ Touch Pro cost me 330 (after rebate), 45/mo x 24 mo = 1410 for 2 years of use. I do have to mention SERO offer free text, and 7PM off-peak while ATT doesn't offer free text, and off-peak starts at 9PM w/ rollover.

Hey thanks for the input guys.

But sorry, I should have mentioned to not worry about carriers or data service. I'm talkin strictly device-wise sorry. I am aware the HD isn't coming to the US, and that its GSM etc etc...

And, at least 90% I am within Wi-Fi coverage so...not too worried about data speeds.

EDIT: plus, where I am ATT has significant 3G coverage...but of course Tmobile doesn't and they will be FAR cheaper for my situtation, and with the Wi-Fi I am really leaning Tmobile..
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Looking at the pro's and con's you listed above I would think the obvious choice would be the HD :S. The UI is a little sleeker for the iPhone, but in my opinion thats the only advantage it has at all while lacking significantly in other areas.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
Looking at the pro's and con's you listed above I would think the obvious choice would be the HD :S. The UI is a little sleeker for the iPhone, but in my opinion thats the only advantage it has at all while lacking significantly in other areas.
That's what I was thinking too. But I also think it has other main advantages like how well constructed/put together the os is. It is all very fluid and hooked together, know what I mean? Like when you type a name even in a txt it searches your contacts for you for example. Just how polished and smoothed up and together it is. Hard to explain obviously lol. Also the fact that it was built from the ground up A) very recently, and constantly updated/supported, and B) intended for finger use only right from the start.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Honestly, i would get which ever phone you feel more comfortable using on a daily basis, and if it isnt the iPhone, then just go ahead and purchase an iPod Touch. essentially an iPhone sans phone. When i found out the HD wasnt going to be CDMA, or even come state side, i took the money i was saving for my new cellular, and bought a 32gb iPod Touch, and just recently put Android on my HTC Touch, so it almost like i got a new phone... all in all though it's only my opinion, and what i thought would best suite me.

btw, so far so good.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito View Post
Honestly, i would get which ever phone you feel more comfortable using on a daily basis, and if it isnt the iPhone, then just go ahead and purchase an iPod Touch. essentially an iPhone sans phone. When i found out the HD wasnt going to be CDMA, or even come state side, i took the money i was saving for my new cellular, and bought a 32gb iPod Touch, and just recently put Android on my HTC Touch, so it almost like i got a new phone... all in all though it's only my opinion, and what i thought would best suite me.

btw, so far so good.
Hmm ya ok thanks. I went ahead and ordered the HD the other night. CAN'T WAIT!! lol

And after all the progress and waiting and testing of android on the vogue...just to start over on the blackstone lol (hopefully).

though i may still switch to the iphone. updating to the newest firmware looks to fix a couple of large issues, and i found a camcorder and mms app for it...we'll see!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison