PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 04:47 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: Sprint

Bostonbull is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Need new "business" phone.

I am currently using an HTC TP2, and love it! It has its issues but does what I need. I have a cracked screen and chipped case which means I am getting a new phone. They wont cover it under insurance, will cost me $100.

So...........

I am looking at the new Arrive, and Evo Shift. I like external keyboards.

My new phone must:
-Be powerful and fast with email, text, and web browsing.
-Able to open .pdf, word, and excel docs
-Browse the web fast in mobile and standard site settings
-Hopefully play youtube videos from the parent site not just the app.

Things I dont use on my TP2:
-Powerpoint
-Calendar
-Sync
Old 03-26-2011, 06:22 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Re: Need new "business" phone.

Do you need outlook sync? if so wp7 does not have outlook sync as at the moment its aimed to be for consumers..not business use...

If you don't need outlook sync then for your use both will do...

The Epic also fits your needs and has a kb.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 03-26-2011, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bostonbull is a n00b

No sync required.

Android will support MS Word and MS Excel files? Adobe as well? Not too familiar with Droid OS. Which of the 3 will have a keyboard closest to TP2?

Must be on Sprint Network, FYI
Old 03-26-2011, 07:52 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonbull View Post
No sync required.

Android will support MS Word and MS Excel files? Adobe as well? Not too familiar with Droid OS. Which of the 3 will have a keyboard closest to TP2?

Must be on Sprint Network, FYI
Android does MS word/excel as good if not better then winmo does..and yes to adobe pdf and adobe flash

Well the Arrive is named by HTC as HTC 7 Pro..so it has the keyboard closest to the TP2...the Shift is a 4 row kb instead of 5..Epic is made by Samsung instead of HTC so it would obviously be a tad different..

If you want to compare kb, you can visit a spritn store and try them but here is some pics:

ARRIVE:

EPIC:

SHIFT:

Last edited by gTen; 03-26-2011 at 07:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bostonbull is a n00b

The shift doesnt have a 1ghz processor, so its out. I want a serious upgrade, not just a small jump.

I know I said I want a keyboard, but im liking the size and features of the new Shift 3D. I dont use my phone for much music or video, but that phone comes with everything im looking for......hmmm!
Old 03-27-2011, 07:59 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bostonbull is a n00b

I use 3-4 different email accounts, yahoo, Gmail, etc. How does Android handle these? is it as easy to swipe across screen like on my WM6.5?

Will I be able to easily take all my contacts, texts, pics, etc from TPS2 via Microsoft MyPhone, and put them into the Droid OS?

neither of those 2 KB based Droid phones really amaze me, the Shift doesnt have the specs, and the Samsung doesnt seem well built from what ive read. I need a tough phone as well as powerful and useful.

Any other phones im missing from Sprint?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:15 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
The shift doesnt have a 1ghz processor, so its out. I want a serious upgrade, not just a small jump.

I know I said I want a keyboard, but im liking the size and features of the new Shift 3D. I dont use my phone for much music or video, but that phone comes with everything im looking for......hmmm!
Don't let the mhz/ghz confuse you, the 800mhz processor inside the shift is a 2nd gen snapdragon..the Arrive and the Evo 4g for example have 1ghz processors but are first gen snapdragons. Even clocked at 800mhz it beats the 1ghz snapdragon on every count and has 2x more powerful GPU. The processor can also be overclocked way over 1ghz..(overclocking on android is easier then winmo)

Shift 3d? never heard of it....

Quote:
I use 3-4 different email accounts, yahoo, Gmail, etc. How does Android handle these? is it as easy to swipe across screen like on my WM6.5?
not a problem, Android handles this depending on the client you use..the default client for example lets you merge all your emails into 1...(yes Android actually has decent choices for alternative mail clients)

As for swiping through emails, you mean on the homescreen?

Quote:
Will I be able to easily take all my contacts, texts, pics, etc from TPS2 via Microsoft MyPhone, and put them into the Droid OS?
you can back them up to gmail and there are methods to restore pimbackup and etc..I wouldnt suggest Microsoft myphone because I hear its a dead end..aka neither Android nor WP7 would be able to access it.

Quote:
neither of those 2 KB based Droid phones really amaze me, the Shift doesnt have the specs, and the Samsung doesnt seem well built from what ive read. I need a tough phone as well as powerful and useful.
As I stated above, shift has better specs then you think....as for the Samsung phone, its built pretty well..many people assume that just because its mostly made in plastic and extremely light that its bad build quality, this isn't the case..the lighter the phone, the less damage it takes when it falls...the screen is also made out of Gorilla Glass...

I'm not going to claim that the samsung is indestructible..but I'll assure you its of no worse build quality then the other phones...and if your worried you can always get a case..the specs of the Epic right now is the best slide out kb phone on the market.

Quote:
Any other phones im missing from Sprint?
With a slide out kb that is all atm :/

My suggestion is to go to a store and try them, then pick one and you got the 30 day policy..if you don't like it exchange it for another
Old 03-27-2011, 06:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bostonbull is a n00b

evo 3D
HTC - Products - HTC EVO 3D

I just dont know if I can get used to typing multiple page emails, efficiently!, without a KB.

The 3D seems like the most powerful phone Sprint will offer for the foreseeable future though.......?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:43 PM
"The Fuzzy One"

Quote:
evo 3D
HTC - Products - HTC EVO 3D

I just dont know if I can get used to typing multiple page emails, efficiently!, without a KB.

The 3D seems like the most powerful phone Sprint will offer for the foreseeable future though.......?
Yes, it is the most powerful phone known on sprint atm, that should come out in june...just didn't mention it since you were asking about kb..not sure if sprint plans to make a Epic 2 as well with a kb or not...

That said the original Epic should be able to keep up with the EVO 3d until it gets upgraded to Honeycomb/Ice cream where multi-core support will be unlocked...
Old 03-27-2011, 06:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Bostonbull is a n00b

So pretty much im limited to the shift until fall? Im a premier and can upgrade once a year. Should I wait, or upgrade to the shift now?

I was looking at arrive as well, but it doesnt seem to be what i want performance wise.......yet. Maybe when the new Nokia/WP7 phones hit?

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison