PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison

Notices

View Poll Results: Based on my comments, which phone do you recommend for me?
Touch Pro 2 0 0%
Samsung Transform 0 0%
Samsung Intercept 0 0%
Samsung Epic 3 50.00%
Other 1 16.67%
Keep your current phone until WP7 for Sprint is available 2 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul (PPC-6800)
Carrier: Sprint

pej7445 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pej7445
Upgrading from Mogul - Need help deciding

I've been reading the forums a lot and hope that my thread is not redundant. If it is I apologize.

I've had a Mogul (PPC6800) for a long time, at least 2 years and I'm looking to upgrade to something better and I need your help picking my new device.

I use my phone as a business tool. I manage 2 email accounts (Google Apps), text messaging and heavy integrating with Outlook and PC files (spreadsheets, pdf, word).

I want a full QWERTY keyboard.

I use the "flash" on my camera for a flashlight and like that functionality.

The android devices (EPIC, Transform, Intercept) look really compelling, but I'm concerned about the 'limited' support for Outlook integration. I know that there are several applications out there that help bridge these gaps, but i'm wondering what holes might be left.

Also, unless I'm missing it, it seems that the Droid phones don't have spell check in it's messaging functions! And I can't set a signature if the account is 'linked' to gmail. Am I missing something?

Sprint only has 1 Windows Mobile device, the Touch Pro 2 and it's better than the Mogul, but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade costs for what I get.

What do you think? Thanks for you help.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Apache->Mogul->TP2-> EVO 3D

Slwitek is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to Slwitek Send a message via Yahoo to Slwitek
Re: Upgrading from Mogul - Need help deciding

I say go Android eitherway. WM is dead...even if the TP2 isnt. No flash either. Android not fully developed yet for the TP2. Go with the android device that has the best specs and dont look back.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, if your still stuck on ms office then you kinda need to stay with wm. although I personally would try to resist the buyers urge during this shopping season, and wait for sprints wp7 device.
also you won't find any device with the awesome button configuration the mogul has.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 AM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggylive View Post
well, if your still stuck on ms office then you kinda need to stay with wm. although I personally would try to resist the buyers urge during this shopping season, and wait for sprints wp7 device.
also you won't find any device with the awesome button configuration the mogul has.
The implementations of Office on Android are on par if not better then winmo..they have come a long way...as for WP7, M$ is not targeting it for business use yet, so it probably won't pull its weight yet...

I suggest you take an Android phone and try it out for the 30 days sprint gives you..if you don't like it return it, simple as that.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pej7445 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The implementations of Office on Android are on par if not better then winmo..they have come a long way...as for WP7, M$ is not targeting it for business use yet, so it probably won't pull its weight yet...

I suggest you take an Android phone and try it out for the 30 days sprint gives you..if you don't like it return it, simple as that.
I pulled the trigger yesterday and got a Samsung Transform. I know it's not as high end as the Epic, but I only had to spend $50 so it was almost free. So far I'm blown away by all the (free) applications for the Android OS.

I did have to invest for a couple of pieces of technology; Documents to Go and Sync2 (currently on a trial but it works awesome for syncing contacts/calendar with my Google Apps - Not Gmail, Google Apps)

So far my only compliant is that the "home" screen does not rotate to landscape when I title the phone sideways?? I'm going to look in the other forums for a resolution to this issue.

Thanks again for all your input.

Phil Jones
Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

well glad to hear your happy... if you were gonna go mid-level ANdroid, you shouldve went with the Optimus.. same GPU as the EVO.. 2.2 shipped.. 2.3 already announced by LG.. Rooted..

though Im late, I think the best suggestion in here was the try it out for 30days.. You should play with all of the phones you thought about for a bit... if you do it right, it'll take you all the way to the HD7(and who knows what else CDMA WP7 Launch)... if you dont like any of the devices, go with HD7 at the end of it all...

ah well, glad you got a phone YOU liked... Thats all that matters in the end..
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pej7445 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
well glad to hear your happy... if you were gonna go mid-level ANdroid, you shouldve went with the Optimus.. same GPU as the EVO.. 2.2 shipped.. 2.3 already announced by LG.. Rooted..

though Im late, I think the best suggestion in here was the try it out for 30days.. You should play with all of the phones you thought about for a bit... if you do it right, it'll take you all the way to the HD7(and who knows what else CDMA WP7 Launch)... if you dont like any of the devices, go with HD7 at the end of it all...

ah well, glad you got a phone YOU liked... Thats all that matters in the end..
Appreciate the feedback. I was not really intersted in the Optimus because it lacked a physical QWERTY keyboard. So far so go w/ the Transform.

I sold the Mogul today for $50 so i'm at a breakeven.

When the Epic gets cheaper I'll probably upgrade, but $250 wasn't an investment I wasn't ready to make this time around.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pej7445 View Post
Appreciate the feedback. I was not really intersted in the Optimus because it lacked a physical QWERTY keyboard. So far so go w/ the Transform.

I sold the Mogul today for $50 so i'm at a breakeven.

When the Epic gets cheaper I'll probably upgrade, but $250 wasn't an investment I wasn't ready to make this time around.

Merry Christmas!
You can get an epic for $100 on amazon or other 3rd party retailer...

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison