PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim
Re: EVO vs Epic.. Thinking of Evo, need opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliS View Post
question: one of the things i need to know is how do you use keyboard shortcut functions using the onscreen keyboard on the EVO? are the typical keyboard shortcuts even available on the android platform? im thinking of things like "ctrl-c or ctrl-v", "hold shift to select group" or "hld ctrl to select specific items". is there a mapping function to do this is on the Epic if its not a standard function or what?
this is not windows, those functions do not work on android nor do you need them. to paste you just press in the box for 1-2 seconds and the option to paste will pop up. to copy you hit menu, then select text. cntr-c and v is oldschool and not needed.
Google is the next skynet
Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S / Epic 4g
Carrier: Sprint

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to KaliS

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
closed mouths don't get fed around here, if you want the new swype just ask. I have attached the most recent swype which was just released under 2 weeks ago. it is actually a newer version then what comes installed on the Epic.
thanks, i'll point my cuzn to the download link...
Old 09-29-2010, 10:38 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

KaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKaliS is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
this is not windows, those functions do not work on android nor do you need them. to paste you just press in the box for 1-2 seconds and the option to paste will pop up. to copy you hit menu, then select text. cntr-c and v is oldschool and not needed.
excellent, and thanks for answering. i was thinking something like that. but still, being the ole'skool guy i am...is that something that could be mapped into the physical keyboard if i just had to have it?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:43 AM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
excellent, and thanks for answering. i was thinking something like that. but still, being the ole'skool guy i am...is that something that could be mapped into the physical keyboard if i just had to have it?
maybe on the epic but honestly i doubt it. It may be possible using other keyboards but android's cut and paste doesn't work like that.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic (Galaxy S)

MakeMoves is a n00b

Seems to me like the best time to buy a phone from sprint is to wait till the next one comes out.

Right now Evo seems better better but think about it, when the evo came out it had lots of problems too.

Now that it had a lot of updates and development it seems better than the new Epic. But by the time the next phone comes out the epic may have been greatly upgraded too.

I have had my touch for 2 years and it turns into a better phone every few months as the software gets better, which is why I'm leaning towards the Epic due to the faster hardware.

Durability seems to go towards the Epic as well because its lite so is less likely to break when dropped, and the screen seems more durable from what people are saying technically.

Also no matter what anyone says there are some times when you will wish you had a keyboard, (the rest of the time no need to slide it out, its still thin.)

Call quality seems to be better on the Evo from what I hear, but I think that may be fixed with updates to the radio (am I stupid to think this?)

The Gps seems to be a hardware issue and may never be as good as the evo, but it seems to be good enough. Doesn't have to be perfect right?

Evo is sexier with its looks and big screen, but that may just mean people are always going to be scheming to steal it or jump me.

Also I hear the Evos are out of stock anyway so you can't even get one.

Leaning towards the Epic right now but the call quality is my only concern. I've read online with some people that have tested extensively that the Evo wins hands down. Do you guys think it will be improved with software updates?

Last edited by MakeMoves; 09-29-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO

s4audi is a n00b

IMO I love the EVO. It may not have the battery life like the Epic does, but thats why they invented chargers..
Old 09-30-2010, 08:32 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Quote:
maybe on the epic but honestly i doubt it. It may be possible using other keyboards but android's cut and paste doesn't work like that.
Yes you can copy and paste with a shortcuts on keyboard:

Menu + C = Copy
Menu + V= Paste
Menu + X = Cut

There are a bunch of other shortcuts as well.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo

discodave is a n00b

Thought I would add my experience to this thread.

I was originally an iPhone user. Upgraded to the iPhone 4 - but generally speaking wasn't impressed with the changes. It felt too similar to the iPhone 3GS and I wasn't willing to be locked into 2 more years with AT&T. Sure, the screen was nice but the rumor was the iPod would get it eventually and of course did.

I decided to jump to Sprint and get the Epic. Reserved the thing at both Sprint and Best Buy. Needless to say I was very excited for the phone to come out. Based on the specs, it looked like the perfect Android device with one exception - I had no need for the keyboard. Also, the lack of battery details was a concern.

My first impressions of the phone were great. I didn't mind the TouchWiz as much as people claimed I would. Android was proving to be more capable really than iOS is. The display was fantastic. However, it did feel cheap. It's probably the weight of the device. And, on the second day - it broke. The screen began to have a constant green hue similar to back in the day a vga cable being halfway plugged into your computer. I was able to easily exchange for a replacement.

I continued to use the new device without hardware issue. It does, however, have a lot of little problems. The GPS works, but it is slow. The keyboard ended up being very annoying to me. For the most part that was due to having no real use for it. I was getting a thicker phone for a feature I had no interest in. Second, holding it in your hand the top half slides open just a tiny bit every time you press your fingers against the sides. The charging base on the top and power button on the side are both misses for me. The SD card every once in awhile would "not be found" and you'd have to take it out and re-seat it. The front facing camera is embarrassingly bad. More or less unusable. The Samsung "Media Hub" is a joke as well. Perhaps it will get better one day -but what they launched with is silly.

I decided to take another look at the EVO. The major negative initially to me on the Evo was device size (it seemed like a tank next to the iPhone) and battery life. As the Epic battery life is terrible, that became a moot point. The device size suddenly didn't bother me. Where the size increase from iPhone to Evo seemed significant to me, suddenly from Epic to Evo it was not. Others have discussed in great technical details how the Epic is faster. It probably is. However, the Evo did not feel slow to me. I'm not primarily concerned with games on the device, so some type of lower FPS was not a concern. And really coming from the iPhone...the games in the Android store benefiting from a higher frame rate is close to non existant. What would have worried me was a lagging interface. That did not seem to be the case. It also feels like a build is just of a higher quality. Again, I think this might be due to weight.

So, on day 29 with my Epic I exchanged it for an Evo. Just a few days in with the Evo it seems like it really is a flagship device. The Epic is nice but it feels...cheap. It feels like corners were cut. For me, if you don't need a keyboard - no brainer, get the Evo.
Old 10-08-2010, 07:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

silex is a n00b

I agree wholeheartedly with the poster above. I played around with both in store and am well ware of the superior hardware in the Epic, but at the end of the day the software must make use of the hardware and I can honestly say the EVO does this with flying colors. Plus I'm tired of Samsung delaying release of 2.2 Froyo
Old 10-09-2010, 06:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I went ahead and picked up the Epic, just over one week ago. I had my reservations basically due to all the posts of people talking up the evo and downing the epic, based on their experiences. after about a week of critical use, looking fire every flaw I can, I have to admit that the epic is the right device for me...no doubt. I haven't had any of the primary complaints that are made on this thread. gps works fine, hardware is great, bt works well, I have constant access to my documents and can fully edit them using dropbox & documents to go.

i really don't know what software deficiencies the epic has from the either, just about anything can be had on both devices...its just that the epic does them better and looks better doing it, yes I said it! I have had the chance to really compare the two for a good length of time and the evo jm is good but the epic is simply more. and I was thinking the keyboard was much bigger...but really it isn't. when I had hands on with both, side to side, I wasnt overly ahh'd by the extra 0.3" to be honest. the other thing that became apparent was that the epic actually has more screen for visual use when using the physical keyboard.

I really think that the issue that people are having are not widespread as we may think and others are just hating on the perceived "rival"device...evo or epic.

Sent from my Epic 4g using Tapatalk Pro.
This post has been thanked 2 times.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison