PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 01:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: from lame-ass imagio, to incredible incredible!
Carrier: forced to verizon from alltel

bradhtc is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
making the switch...need info on incred and DX

Making the move to droid from wm (imagio) with mixed feelings. some things in wm i have grown to rely on and want to know weather or not i can use them with droid (incredible and droid x), and which device will suit my needs best. i assume that because i have a history with htc i should go with the incred, but x seems to have the software advantage (usable apps) thus far. is this correct??
the biggest things for me are:
1)ability to have phone/messaging well integrated together like wm/sense
2)quality camera (for the kids)
3)customizability-i am in need for the ability to make it my own dammit
4)calendar-i have a nutty schedule and need a high level of flexibility in how the calendar works (most scheduling options)
4a)use of programs like exel, word reader etc (whats out there)
5)a handset that can handle all these things finally!!!!!!! tired of this crappy imagio!!

i have been reading a lot of material but would like it strait from experienced users.

here are my fav programs from wm that i would like to find something similar to in my next handset (or something close on droid):

4 column start menu (ability to customize best? x or incred?)
batti 2.4
clear temp (or similar)
enable in call recording
google maps (i know, i know)
group sms/mms
inbox extender
keyswop (again customizability!!)
ppc pim backup (or another reliable free service)
reset (for soft re-sets)
swype (will incred ever get one that truly works?!)
opera mini
sky fire (or any free no-frills and fast browser with flash built in)
extra camera features (camera IMPORTANT--i have kids)

i also seem to be picking up that there are more pay-apps with droid, i am accostomed to cheap and easy-free in wm. will i be diasapointed? also, if i use the htc device, can i expect any wm cabs to work in droid (i know, i know...)

thanks for the time and more helpful reading links welcomed!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

willyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIPwillyjay is a VIP
Re: making the move from wm...need strong advice

I went with the DX....haven't looked for my TP2 since!!!

When they say "there's an app for that", it's true!!!!

If the Dinc or DX are your options, the only real decision is size of the device....personally, the DX is not that big.
Old 09-11-2010, 03:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon Wireles

bullhead00 is keeping up the good workbullhead00 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to bullhead00
Re: making the switch...need info on incred and DX

I recently switched from a TP2 to the Incredible. I can tell you straight up that you're not going to be disappointed at all going from WM to Android. Never thought I'd be worried about speed so much because I was used to my laggy WM phone, but DAMN this joker is fast and I NEVER have to soft reset.

Between the X and the INC, you really need to decide whether or not you want the huge screen. In my opinion, the INC is a nicer phone all around. It has the active matrix OLED (AMOLED) screen, vs the X's LCD. The X also has some really cheap feeling buttons across the bottom of the screen, whereas the INC has nice backlit touch sensitive buttons. The INC also has the optical trackball, which adds more functionability to an all touchscreen device.

HTC sense on Android is really nice. If you're coming from an HTC phone like I was, then you're going to be very glad you went with the INC. The messages are integrated almost identically as they were in WM. HTC calender works nice. Of course you can also sync your Google calender with your phone as well.

For the camera, a buddy of mine has the X. We were outside and took a picture of my truck from the same angle at the same time of day. Put the pics on my computer and the X's camera seemed kinda grainy whereas my INC was nice and smooth with great detail.

For customizability, the day I got my phone, it took me about 30 minutes to have it rooted, nand unlocked, and flashed to a custom ROM. My phone is so custom it should be illegal (probably is!). I have a fully functioning version of SWYPE(works great on my INC!) and it didn't cost me a dime. For backup, you no longer have to use a program like PIM Backup. All of your contacts are synced to your Google account. You can actually go ahead and sync your Imagio to your gmail account with ActiveSync, so when you get your Android device, all you have to do is sync it to your google account. Here are the instructions for doing that on your Imagio. Setting Up Your Windows Mobile Phone for Google Sync : Google Sync - Google Mobile Help

Your contacts will be saved to your Google account and when you get your new Android phone, log into your gmail account and they will automatically sync with your phone.

As far as Office software, unfortunately that's one the biggest drawbacks with Android. There's an app that allows you to have office on Android called Documents To Go, but it's $14.99 on the market (might be a way around that!). So it's possible to have that compatibility, just may cost you a little bit to do that.

Other programs you mentioned:
--there's a version of opera mini for Android but you don't really need it.
--The factory web browser has built in flash support after you upgrade to the 2.2 Froyo (or flash a custom ROM )
--Google Maps on Android blows WM away.

Basically, I would get the INC over the X any day. It's way more pocket friendly, and overall is a better phone IMHO. The X also is on lockdown for a while because they can't seem to get the unlock code figured out. So you have many many more options for customization on the INC.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

06 GTO Quicksilver/Red leather/M6, 1 of 104
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: SS Galaxy S3
Carrier: VZ

sunNsnow is a n00b
Re: making the move from wm...need strong advice

Calendar: if you use Google Calendar, you can create shared calendars and separate calendars (kids' schedules), etc. I love it because I can create an event using my PC or with the phone and it's all there without syncing. The phone syncs with your Gmail account.

There are lots of free apps but they come with advertisement, etc. You have to read through the permissions the app needs before installing... some may want access to SMS/MMS capabilities (spam alert) etc. Not that all free apps are like this, but you need to be more aware of what you're permissions you are giving the application before installing.

Backups of your contacts and calendar are through your Gmail account.

Swype ships with the X. Typing on it isn't bad either in landscape mode since you have a large screen to type on (the virtual keyboard is wide and comfortable to type on).

As for customizations, you can customize it to a point. The X -- I believe -- has been rooted ("unlocked") but I have not done this to the Droid2 yet. The X and Droid2 has some sort of security chip on it that makes rooting an interesting experience, from what I've read. I am proceeding with caution in this area.

Emails: I recommend using k9 Mail rather than the mail program that comes with it. You no longer need inbox extender.

Hope this helped.

---
sunNsnow
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Knowledge Is True Opinion
Pocket PC: iPhone 4S
Carrier: Vzw

Carla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the communityCarla is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Carla

Merged Duplicate Threads and Moved to Phone Comparison
Old 09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Two-Time Chinaman
Pocket PC: HTC Inspire 4G
Carrier: AT&T

PriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIPPriYankee is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to PriYankee

I've been wondering the Same thing about which phone to switch to next and I'm glad i found this thread! I'm soo attached to my BB & ive been hesitant on Going to Android but i've been hearing of all the capabilities & I just may jump ship & try it out!

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison