PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 06:23 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO!!!!
Carrier: Sprint

Mazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuffMazzakre knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
personal story of "suck it, iphone"

A few days ago a friend and i were talking. She wanted an evo and even preordered one. Problem is she ordered through a noncorporate store with rather shady employees and didn't end up getting one.

So I was showing her the awesomeness that is evo and she said, "I heard the new iPhone was really nice, maybe ill get one instead of the evo." I'm sure you could imagine my horror. I asked, "but why would u want an iPhone when this is obviously much better? Did u hear about the antenna problem?"

She said, "yeah but it has cool apps that this one doesn't have. My brother and his wife have iPhone and there's an app that they can knock on each others phones and one can show the other what they r looking at using the camera." I of course reminded her that we have video chat but the conversation was dropped.

Fast forward to a few days later and I get a strange icon on my task bar. It's from Sprint, hmm what's this. Oh a list of cool apps I might want to try. And halfway down the list what do I find? The very same knocking app! Of course I let her know about the app and she had nothing to say. I'm sure she'll let her brother know about his very pretty phone that has once again been one upped by the greatness that is EVO.

Just thought you guys might enjoy that story of evo ftmfw
Old 06-28-2010, 07:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo/Epic

insomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: personal story of "suck it, iphone"

I have a friend that got an iPhone 4, we did an internet comparison, the Evo beat the pants off of it, ip4 only beat me on two sites but that's probably because the Evo pulled up all those freaking ads and the iPhone didn't. On every other site (we tried 10 different ones), the Evo simply beat it. And if you have your settings just right, colors in pics aree slightly warmer and slightly clearer. It was evening so we couldn't really compare video, they both kinda suck in dim lighting on that one.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Evo

hoosier_droid is a n00b

Interesting. I have an old iPhone 3g that I'm comparing the Evo against. I ran speedtest.net on the Evo and mobilespeedtest.com on both. From my chair at my desk in my house, I'm getting 76 to 386 kbps on the Evo and 2,600 kbps on the old 3G iPhone.

I called marvelous Sprint customer service, got cut off twice as they were attempting to transfer me to the "right" person, one guy promised to call me back and didn't and the last guy simply told me it was a 4G phone and what I was seeing wasn't out of the ordinary for a 3G area.

Now don't get me wrong, the Evo is a VERY nice phone with a lot of features I like when compared to the iPhone 3G. However, it isn't the 2nd coming by any means.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

"bump" might be on both platforms, but the iPhone still has Android out-apped in so many ways, trying to compare the two in that respect is a very big loss for android.

Not saying anything wrong with the Evo, I may even get one, but the if someone wants apps as a priority, they want an iPhone.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

insomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier_droid View Post
Interesting. I have an old iPhone 3g that I'm comparing the Evo against. I ran speedtest.net on the Evo and mobilespeedtest.com on both. From my chair at my desk in my house, I'm getting 76 to 386 kbps on the Evo and 2,600 kbps on the old 3G iPhone.

I called marvelous Sprint customer service, got cut off twice as they were attempting to transfer me to the "right" person, one guy promised to call me back and didn't and the last guy simply told me it was a 4G phone and what I was seeing wasn't out of the ordinary for a 3G area.

Now don't get me wrong, the Evo is a VERY nice phone with a lot of features I like when compared to the iPhone 3G. However, it isn't the 2nd coming by any means.
Probably depends on your location and saturation of the network at that moment and other things. we did 5 sites on wifi in starbucks and all 5 beat her, the other 5 from our phones 3g. Once 4g is here, I can make my opinion on that and the wimax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
"bump" might be on both platforms, but the iPhone still has Android out-apped in so many ways, trying to compare the two in that respect is a very big loss for android.

Not saying anything wrong with the Evo, I may even get one, but the if someone wants apps as a priority, they want an iPhone.
I have owned the 3gs, Android is coming in close but I do have to agree with you somewhat. but really, its personal preference, any app I would have used on the 3gs I had an equivalent on the moment and now the Evo. but for sure gaming is not the same, the development is not there yet. So I agree.

Last edited by insomniac; 06-28-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier_droid View Post

Also, that sounds very low, have you done a profile/prl update? I was getting that at first untill I updated both of those.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:16 AM

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
And if you have your settings just right, colors in pics aree slightly warmer and slightly clearer.
I have a very hard time believing a device with significantly better resolution AND a smaller screen would not be "clearer".

That's like saying "I compared my 720i TV with my friends 1080p and with the right settings the 720i gave better pictures." It's not possible.

the iPhone 4 does have a much better GPU, better drivers, better resolution, and the A4 chip is just better than the snapdragon, so Apps and Video/Pics/Gaming are not something anyone could claim the Evo beats the iPhone in and defend that statement.

Now if you want to talk development, ROM flashing, memory tweaking, multitasking (although I do like the backgrounder + ProSwitcher combo better than Android multitasking), Widget support, Live Wallpapers, Flash support, Screen Size, and general network speed and reliability as well as network cost (excluding T-Mobile on this one or international carriers), then the Evo wins.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangekid View Post
I have a very hard time believing a device with significantly better resolution AND a smaller screen would not be "clearer".

That's like saying "I compared my 720i TV with my friends 1080p and with the right settings the 720i gave better pictures." It's not possible.

the iPhone 4 does have a much better GPU, better drivers, better resolution, and the A4 chip is just better than the snapdragon, so Apps and Video/Pics/Gaming are not something anyone could claim the Evo beats the iPhone in and defend that statement.

Now if you want to talk development, ROM flashing, memory tweaking, multitasking (although I do like the backgrounder + ProSwitcher combo better than Android multitasking), Widget support, Live Wallpapers, Flash support, Screen Size, and general network speed and reliability as well as network cost (excluding T-Mobile on this one or international carriers), then the Evo wins.
I don't want to argue when I agreed with you, I said the gaming on iphone is better (and to clarify actually isnt a comparison right now), but go back and reread please.. And I wasn't comparing the resolution of the screens, take the pics taken of the same things and see what they look like from a computer screen, not the phones themselves. And my camera is not on stock out of the box settings.

Last edited by insomniac; 06-28-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
I don't want to argue when I agreed with you, I said the gaming on iphone is better (and to clarify actually isnt a comparison right now), but go back and reread please.. And I wasn't comparing the resolution of the screens, take the pics taken of the same things and see what they look like from a computer screen, not the phones themselves. And my camera is not on stock out of the box settings.

oh, well then yeah I guess we're not arguing at all, thought you meant the screen
Old 06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

What makes the A4 chip so much better than the Snapdragon? I don't know a whole lot about the subject matter but I do know that in a strictly speed performance test, the EVO out-performs the iPhone4 (from videos I've seen and personal experience- opening apps, webpages, etc).

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison