PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2 or Android...deciding
Carrier: TMobile

Bowzern10 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HD2 vs Android on TMO

Alright...I searched and couldn't find it otherwise here...and I'm sure it's a statement of the obvious but here goes:

I'm coming from an old G1 and enjoyed the Android experience. I will be remaining on TMobile for this next phone for the next year and would just love an HD2...and would love it more as an Android platform.

I'm deciding whether to pick up a MT Slide or try an HD2 and am looking for some input from you guys.

My general uses:
Phone...use it a fair amount for this
Music in car
Navigation (I do lots of appointments on the road)
Weather (because I'm a weather geek and love keeping radar on while on the road)
Associated software that dumps texts to my email account
and I enjoyed the cloud support of Google with my data.

Thoughts on the most appropriate platform needed. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:30 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

atn_chargers is a n00b
Re: HD2 vs Android on TMO

Although developers have been working on getting Android ported onto the HD2, there's no set date of when it will be done.

Here's what you need to know about the HD2. HD2 vs. HD2 loaded with custom ROM is like comparing day and night. HD2 w/stock ROM is extremely laggy, buggy, choppy, unresponsive ect. So in this case I will compare my HD2 w/ custom ROM vs. my Nexus One rooted w/ Sense UI ROM. Both are running on T-mobile's network.

Phone: *HD2 wins* I don't see any speed differences as far as dialing, selecting contacts, ect. My biggest issue with the Nexus One is its radio. I get a lot of dropped calls. HD2 gets better reception and better sound quality. I would give the edge to the HD2.

Music: *NEXUS ONE wins* The HD2 has a better music app interface, but when it comes to variety and options, this is where the Nexus exceeds. The HD2 does not come with Pandora installed and Windows Marketplace doesn't have it available.

Market:*Android wins hands down* One thing that cripples the HD2 is the horrific marketplace. Very little options. Android Market is growing and growing.

Navigation:*Nexus One wins* You have to pay a subscription to use TeleNav on the HD2 as oppose to the free Navigation on the Nexus One. Although you can download Bing's navigation for the HD2, which is free and quite nice.

Weather:*HD2 wins* The weather app on the HD2 is one of the best. Beautiful animated graphics shows up when you wake your phone. You can't go wrong with that. Although my Nexus is flashed to a Sense ROM, the animations just not the same.

Don't get the Mytouch 3G. My gf has it and she hates it. Laggy, buggy, and choppy. Unless you're planning on rooting it, I would stay away.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

Moved to the Phone Comparison forum.

Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

I have an HD2, Nexus One, and rooted mytouch 3g running 2.1 with a good ROM,

For the things you listed, if you can afford it, the best device for you is the Nexus One. The mytouch's screen is too small and the device is too slow for you.

Interface is better, Customizing the UI and the widgets are better. Weather is better IMO because you can get more programs with more detailed info. The whole sense 2.5 weather thing gets real old real fast. The HD2 stock is NOT laggy or buggy, not sure where that came from, but yes, I would unlock it and flash a custom ROM on it (i did that within owning the device for one week).

market is better in android, widget support, froyo coming to 2.2 with flash mobile support optimized for a phone, the thing is lightning fast, fun, reliable, and IMO just a better all around OS.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:18 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: PRO2/EVO4G
Carrier: SprinT

lipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIPlipidfats is a VIP

yeah dont go with mytouch... either get hd2 or nexus 1. i'd take a look at t-mobile's version of the samsung galaxy s too, that has the new super amoled display and it's fast. They are supposedly also launching a windows phone 7 device in oct/nov.

PPCGeeks > Off Topic Chatter > Phone Comparison