PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint

dcolpi is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can bluetooth be turned on and off via a button?

Greetings all,

I am new here (just got my Treo 800w last week). Anyway, I have spent the past few days searching and learning (and doing). This site is great! I have been able to (through this forumn and a few others) find a bunch of good stuff. My last phone was a 7 year old Nokia that didn't do anything but call and get pages. So this is a big improvement!

Anyway, my question is reguarding the bluetooth radio. I understand how to turn it on and off using the stylus or wifi setting, but I was wondering if there was a way to link it to a button? Like a lot of folks, I notice a short battery life (which I have gotten alot of tips on this forum to help improve it), and I would like a quick and easy way to turn on and off teh bluetooth without having to click 5 or 6 things (would prefer one button or a button combo). I guess I have the same question for the GPS radio, but that is less important as it is much easier and I turn it on or off less (however a tip to get rid of that warning, one extra click, would be helpful too).

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

SkipJack is keeping up the good workSkipJack is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to SkipJack Send a message via MSN to SkipJack
Re: Can bluetooth be turned on and off via a button?

The app that pops into my head right away is SPB Pocket Plus. Among many great features, one is a one button bluetooth. Or rather, you can set it to have one. The catch is, the app is 30 bucks. I will research more for a free one.

– Dr. Manhattan.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Sorry, the app can be found here
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dcolpi is a n00b

Thanks. I am not sure my "one button bluetooth or GPS" is worth $30. It is funny that Palm made a one touch Wifi (to turn it on, technically it is one button plus a tap to turn it off) but didn't do this for bluetooth.

I have been looking around too, but haven't found one yet. I am going to keep looking and will post here if I find one.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Cool beans. Yeah you would think you could at least assign a button to it.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint - unfortunetly

firecat is just getting started

try this http://www.mystikeep.com/shareware/t.../togglebth.htm

also there is always mortscript
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dcolpi is a n00b

I am checking this out now and will report back...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

dcolpi is a n00b

Ok - so I just got done testing and THIS WORKS!!! THANK YOU!!!!

To save everyone some time I have attached the zip file containing the program and the readme file from the author (who gives his permission to share freely). Here are some specifics:
  • I have the Treo 800w on the Sprint network (so that is what I tested it on, I assume it will work for all Treo 800w).
  • This is not a cab file, so as the author suggested in the readme, I use activesync to drop this in the program menu by opening up the explorer through activesync, going to the top level (My mobile device), then \Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and droping it in.
  • You can successfully run it from here, but I also assigned it to the side button (hold). In this way it will work similiar to the top button(hold) that controls Wifi. The author suggested using a speed dial button, but I am not sure that this is possible (at least I can't figure it out, but I have had this this for less than a week... so there might be a way).
I hope this helps folks. I know it helped me. Now, does a similar thing exist for the GPS radio?

Also (sort of off topic but kinda related), as for the use of buttons to trigger events. I found the reg tweek to add the side button (no hold), but is there a way to add any others? It seems that holding the OK button and Option+OK both do the same thing. This leads me to believe that I might be able to configure other buttons to trigger something when held (certainly there is the speed dial functionalty that dials a number... and other buttons can do this... so why not at least the other function buttons if not all of them)? At least is there a way to check the "hold OK" to be something besides the task manager (which is also option+OK)?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: zip togglebth.zip (4.2 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Nice work dcolpi! WTG
Old 01-29-2009, 05:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint - unfortunetly

firecat is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcolpi View Post
Ok - so I just got done testing and THIS WORKS!!! THANK YOU!!!!

To save everyone some time I have attached the zip file containing the program and the readme file from the author (who gives his permission to share freely). Here are some specifics:
  • I have the Treo 800w on the Sprint network (so that is what I tested it on, I assume it will work for all Treo 800w).
  • This is not a cab file, so as the author suggested in the readme, I use activesync to drop this in the program menu by opening up the explorer through activesync, going to the top level (My mobile device), then \Windows\Start Menu\Programs, and droping it in.
  • You can successfully run it from here, but I also assigned it to the side button (hold). In this way it will work similiar to the top button(hold) that controls Wifi. The author suggested using a speed dial button, but I am not sure that this is possible (at least I can't figure it out, but I have had this this for less than a week... so there might be a way).
I hope this helps folks. I know it helped me. Now, does a similar thing exist for the GPS radio?

Also (sort of off topic but kinda related), as for the use of buttons to trigger events. I found the reg tweek to add the side button (no hold), but is there a way to add any others? It seems that holding the OK button and Option+OK both do the same thing. This leads me to believe that I might be able to configure other buttons to trigger something when held (certainly there is the speed dial functionalty that dials a number... and other buttons can do this... so why not at least the other function buttons if not all of them)? At least is there a way to check the "hold OK" to be something besides the task manager (which is also option+OK)?

Thanks!
Yes, you can configure other button. Use "AE Buttons Plus" it's free -> http://ae.inc.ru/aebplus.php

Also, you can manually toggle GPS if you're configuring it with GPSgate. It wouldn't be all that difficult to write a script that controls GPSgate and assign it to a key.

This is all off topic though. You should start a new thread.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 800w