PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2007, 11:58 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Modify USB Sync Only Cable to Charge Too!

I posted this on another forum and thought I would share here too! (everythingtreo.com)

At home for the weekend without my charger which I left at work. I only had the USB data cable that came with the phone and everyone knows that cable does not charge the 700wx. Desperate I came up with a resolve, modified my USB Data Cable to also CHARGE... that's right to CHARGE too!
How'd I do it you ask?
Know How: Soldering (don't have to be an expert)

Materials:
USB Data Cable (aka Sync Cable)
Soldering Iron
Solder
Small gauge wire (not bare)
Something small and sturdy to pry with (I used a mini screw driver)
Cutting device to cut wire (I used scissors)

Use the mini screw driver and your thumb nail to pry apart the top and bottom pieces of the sync connection, pry by the opening where you plug your charger into. Remove both piece from the PCB (the internal part that will be exposed after you pry the pieces off). Turn the piece so you are able to view where the wires are soldered. Grab your small gauge wire and strip an end off as small as possible. Only expose as much wire as you need to solder (this will ensure you do not have any shorts later). Solder the wire to the first wire on the USB wire (looking at the wirings from left to right) The wire will be identified as USBS. Solder the opposite end of the small gauge wire to the FIRST POST of the charging connection. After that is competed, you can test the newly modified USB Data/Charge Cable. Plug the cable into your computer and then into your Treo (doesn't matter which you do first) and TA DA, you should hear your Treo make the sound it makes when the charger is connected!!! Put your sync connection back together and there you have it... I will attempt to make a simple diagram.

@00___@0000
| ______|_____ USB WIRES (Solder wire to the @ sign)
|
|____________CHARGER POSTS (Solder other end of wire to @ sign)
Old 01-28-2007, 12:35 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone 6+
Carrier: AT&T

JackSchitt28 is keeping up the good workJackSchitt28 is keeping up the good work
i wonder why they did'nt do this in the factory for you guys. i believe my wifes 700p charges via her usb port sync cable.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint

rddt is a n00b
Would simply using the cable for a 700p do the trick? I have one here, so I'll try testing it out.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:37 AM
domo arigato mr roboto
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
that's if you have one, all I had was one USB Data Cable... nothing else
change it to be able to sync and charge now! I don't know why they just didn't make it charge to begin with just like JACK said... guess it's a marketing thing...
BTW Jack... when I was younger I used to have a t-shirt that had JACK SCHITT FAMILY TREE ON IT
I was sent home from school... ha ha
Old 01-28-2007, 02:05 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx

rddt is a n00b
OK, so I tested out the 700p's cable on both the wx and the p. No luck - it charges the p just fine, but not the wx. What gives?!
Old 01-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo pro Soon to be Touch pro 2

remlle is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to remlle Send a message via AIM to remlle Send a message via Yahoo to remlle
ok so I tested your setup on mine. I got out an extra 700wx cable and opened her up. connected the pins like you stated using my soldering iron and tested. wham just like that I had the charging light and it appears to be working. I took some pics for those who need pics (like me)
Elephant007 Thank you for the info and instructions. I hope you dont mind me adding pics.
IF I could add them I woudl but doesnt appear I have that privledge. so sorry peeps. if i get access to upload pics or a mod will write me Ill send them over
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Send a message via ICQ to remlle Send a message via AIM to remlle Send a message via Yahoo to remlle
elephant I posted this over on treocentral with pics gave you credit for the find. hope you dont mind.
Old 01-28-2007, 04:56 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Threadstarter

I don't mind at all, I took some pics the only this is that they were so blurry it wasn't even worth posting the pics... Good job!
I'm going to treocental to check it out...
In another forum I was asked about connecting a ground and upon further testing with my voltmeter I discover that the output side (the one that plugs into the Treo) is already grounded...
Oh and I don't mind that you posted it, thank you for giving me credit too...
SHARE SHARE SHARE!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:59 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Threadstarter

I just checked your pictures out, although you soldered in a different area than I did, it was still the same... great clear pictures. COOL!
Old 01-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Varified working.
what I did was this.

@11 @111
| |
| |
| |
-------

I soldered from pin one of the charging side to pin 1 of the data. this brings +5 volts to the charging pins and charges. it also syncs still. the pics will show what I Did.
Attached Files
File Type: zip small_807.zip (384.6 KB, 96 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX