PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

defamed01 is keeping up the good workdefamed01 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Are forced Firmware updates over the air illegal?

I think the writer of that article is making a big deal over nothing. Every electronic device has to abide by FCC regulations before it can be released to the masses. So, they must have had the approval of the FCC before a single Pre made it to a Sprint store. Now, I do think it would be a big issue if Palm stealthily had the update install after 7 days, but they are making it known what is to happen when an update arrives. Plus, it gives you 7 days to install the update. 1 full week is plenty of time to update your phone and test if the firmware installed properly.

I think the author either has something against Palm, is a Pre hater, or is a big fan of hacker communities, and doesn't like the idea of a forced update that could potentially break homebrew firmware.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by defamed01 View Post
or is a big fan of hacker communities, and doesn't like the idea of a forced update that could potentially break homebrew firmware.
In which case he is a cool guy.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by defamed01 View Post
I think the writer of that article is making a big deal over nothing. Every electronic device has to abide by FCC regulations before it can be released to the masses. So, they must have had the approval of the FCC before a single Pre made it to a Sprint store. Now, I do think it would be a big issue if Palm stealthily had the update install after 7 days, but they are making it known what is to happen when an update arrives. Plus, it gives you 7 days to install the update. 1 full week is plenty of time to update your phone and test if the firmware installed properly.

I think the author either has something against Palm, is a Pre hater, or is a big fan of hacker communities, and doesn't like the idea of a forced update that could potentially break homebrew firmware.

I second your comments. Update your phone before leaving the house.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insoc View Post
I second your comments. Update your phone before leaving the house.
so lets say you are at home updating your palm pre and you dont have a land line. I dont have one I am wireless only. Then you have a hart attack (hat attack in boston) and because your palm pre is "Bricked" how can you call 911?
Old 06-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTV EVO
Carrier: VZW
Threadstarter

caleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcaleb02 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to caleb02 Send a message via MSN to caleb02 Send a message via Yahoo to caleb02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
I, personally, am going to have every firmware update within minutes of when it becomes available for manual download.

If the update "bricks my phone", for some reason, I will be at the Sprint store within several more minutes for a replacement. So it's not an issue to me.

Unless, I wreck on the way to the Sprint store... hmmm... hey you have a point.
i always install the latest roms including mystery rom 4 for my touch diamond... i just thought the author had raised a few good points... is all.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
VIP Member

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb02 View Post
i always install the latest roms including mystery rom 4 for my touch diamond... i just thought the author had raised a few good points... is all.
He does actually. The whole mandatory update thing is kind of intrusive, in my opinion, and sometimes the easiest way to combat stuff like that is with a legal issue, like the author has done.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Quote:
so lets say you are at home updating your palm pre and you dont have a land line. I dont have one I am wireless only. Then you have a hart attack (hat attack in boston) and because your palm pre is "Bricked" how can you call 911?
Not to be funny, but if thats so, that person is a complete idiot. You own a $199+ phone and pay monthly, but don't get a home number first...huh?

I would think that person has his/her priorities all messed up. You rely on something that has a bigger chance of no signal for your main phone? What about Jobs calling you and other important things, I just think a Home phone is more important. I don't think you should own a Cell Phone without having a home number.

my 2 cents.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre

Insoc is keeping up the good workInsoc is keeping up the good work

Quote:
You take your chances with everything in life. If you had a landline, maybe it would have been down for maintenance.

Please see my post on the 1st page that states the FCC regulations on 911. You will see that Palm is not breaking any laws. Here is the link: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=10
Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.FOXX View Post
Not to be funny, but if thats so, that person is a complete idiot. You own a $199+ phone and pay monthly, but don't get a home number first...huh?
There is a rapidly growing number of people who only have cell phones and no land line... including myself and quite a few of my friends and family.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
There is a rapidly growing number of people who only have cell phones and no land line... including myself and quite a few of my friends and family.
I find that to be really weird, still I don't think its Palm fault. Your Land line can be hit by lightning and when you go to call 911, it doesn't work.

Just to clarify, what I said previously is not to insult anyone. I just find it weird
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre