PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

afinita is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking About Making Move to Pre instead of TP2 Help me Decide

Time to add my two cents. My phone is a touch pro, but just got a new Pre for my father for when he gets back from Iraq. Since my phone is in the shop because of a miniUSB issue I am using his phone as a substitute.

Needless to say the interface is beautiful, simply beautiful. Very user friendly and very usable. My main gripe with this phone is:

1.) The music player is horrible. My phone is an MP3 player first.
2.) No spellcheck for emails.

But I love the capacitive screen, and I love the keyboard(I only use the softkeyboard on the touch pro), and I absolutely love the Web app(Blows opera away).

But more importantly, I love Rhodium Manilla, I love the options that windows mobile provides. And I never use my stylus on the TP unless I am taking a note(Which the pre can't do)

So I am sticking with my Touch Pro, definitely.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

TProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good workTProUserOnSprint is keeping up the good work

I'm doing both. I bought my Pre on ebay new, never opened for $325. It was worth it for me because both my gf and I are on sprint so we can always use it on her line when I upgrade to the TP2. I'll be getting the TP2 as soon as my premier upgrade comes in November. Thinking of picking up a Tour for a few weeks too then putting it on craigslist.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro2
Carrier: sprint

onickjo is a n00b

just switched from a TP2 to a palm pre... i thought the tp2 was great b ut it was an f'ing brick to carry around ..

i love how small and slick the palm pre is .. seems like a great phone thus far
Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Arrive

InsomniacJedi is keeping up the good workInsomniacJedi is keeping up the good work

I posted this in another thread...thought I'd post it here too.

I had a Palm Pre, bought on Launch Day, and I loved it...up until October.

By October I had 3 different Palm Pres which all had to be returned due to hardware failure (The volume buttons sucked, also, one screen problem when a bubble formed under it) and then finally I got my 4th all the while defending my little Pre from my friends who said it was crap.

But then I couldn't talk to my friends anymore. Wanna know why? Because when I synced my Palm Profile on the 4th one, it erased all but two of my contacts. That was the last straw. I made Sprint give me a brand new HTC Touch Pro 2 for free. I love the Touch Pro 2. It is so much easier to hook up to my computer and play around with. Also, it hasn't lost any of my contacts. Ever. Microsoft My Phone works perfectly. Also, being able to back up my contacts to my computer is awesome.

So, I would disagree. In my opinion the Palm Pre is a locked down piece of junk where its main feature (The Palm Profile) doesn't even work. The HTC Touch Pro 2 on the other hand is a solid phone that actually works.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

RossZ32 is a n00b

well, to be honest, i am a former HTC Touch Pro user, i babied my TP and always kept it from falling, scratching and getting dirty, but then somehow my keyboard died on me and even with the keyboard closed, the screen would randomly rotate to landscape mode repetitively and indefinitely; the keys wouldnt respond at all...i got really frustrated and tried to get this fixed by reflashing my ROM's just to see if it was a software problem, but it seems like it ended up being a hardware one.

so i found out about the Palm Pre...i immediately fell in love with the phone and the OS with its awesome user interface and capacitive screen and responsiveness.

now, i will admit the Pre's hardware could be much better, and the HTC Touch Pro 2 is far superior on the hardware, it does feel high quality, and the keyboard...well, its really really good since its big and comfortable to use.

the Pre's keyboard IS NOT BAD like lots of reviews say, its small, yes, but its not like its impossible to type in there, ill be honest here, IM ACTUALLY TYPING FASTER ON MY PRE'S KEYBOARD THAN MY TOUCH PRO after having it for a while...and u know what? ANY keyboard on ANY phone can be used to type fast, its just a matter of getting the learning curve on...so the famous "ohhhh-i-got-fat-fingers-and-i-cant-type-on-this-thing" excuse is a complete FAIL and false.

so at the end i thought about it like this...if you want a nice looking phone with OK hardware and a SUPERB operating system which is WebOS, then the Palm Pre is for you....but if you want a nice looking phone with EXCELLENT hardware (except for that nasty inefficient resistive touch screen, although its size is huge and displays everything with exceptional resolution and quality), but with an operating system that is LAGGY, OLD, UNSTABLE, and with CONSTANT MEMORY LEAKS, which would be Windows Mobile in this case, then the HTC Touch Pro 2 is for you.

now...imagine if the Palm Pre was the same Touch Pro2 hardware but change the resistive screen to capacitive AND ran WebOS.....*DROOLS*.....thatd be the perfect phone!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC INC.
Carrier: VERIZON <--?

spiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularspiritcrusher33 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to spiritcrusher33

i do miss my pre.. currently with a tp2.. but will wait to see what palm comes out with in the pre2. next year.. cause the build quality of the tp2 is just to awesome.. and the batt life 15 times better than the stock pre.. those 2 alone are why im keeping my tp2..

Webos is awesome.. just needs better hardware to complete the package...I would love to see palm rise up again.. If they had what verizon did with the droid i believe they would be in a better place right now.. most people do what the tv says to do,lol go get a droid.. or there is a app for that..

plam would be multitask like no other..get in and get out.. find what u need in under 5 seconds or less. etc.. lol no clunky interfaces.. 2 swipes and your where u need to be,
Old 12-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

TECZEUS is a n00b

I have both and since i got the Pre I have not used my TP2 at all....of course once Sprint's Wm 6.5 becomes available this might change. As a buisness, PPC geek ((someone who wants full control over there phone// experienced phone tweaker )) user I would say the TP2 but for everyone else (( your dear old mom, dad)) wanting a new "COOL" phone I must go with the PRE ((Price,size, weight, and just enough apps)) battery life does suck though.... Of course this is just my opinion take it as you will....
Old 12-26-2009, 07:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: LG v10
Carrier: T-mobile

clockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on repclockcycle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Given the option to obtain either as a replacement at no cost, which would you really prefer to get?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

slpintern is becoming a great contributor

I came from the Diamond and was fighting back and forth between TP2 and Pre. Since I am in this forum I guess you probably could conclude which I chose, but if not, I went with the Pre. I have absolutely no regrets and have been on the Pre for almost two months. I love every minute of it. There is still a lot of customization that can be done with the Pre, which I am happy about because flashing was definitely fun. Even though there is no more flashing, there are now over a hundred patches to make the phone look and act the way you want, which is good stuff if you ask me. I thoroughly enjoy the guestures and hear there may be more on the way! Next step in the Pre experience is flash, which will be out early next year, making the Pre the best phone out hands down (in my opinion anyways...). The truth is, without having to change anything at all, I already loved the phone out the box, which is more than I could say about WM phones (but love them once you find the right ROM for it). Pre was an amazing choice for me, hopefully it only gets better (and hopefully Palm doesn't go under, lol).

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre