PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Linux Administrator
Pocket PC: HTC Evo -- Rooted
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VZW Droid could cost as much as $75 above plan rates for Data, Tethering, Exchange

Just read this a few hours ago. Essentially if you want to take full advantage of the Droid, you could be shelling out an extra $75 bucks ON TOP of your normal plan rate!!!

Breakdown as follows:

$30 for "Unlimited" 5 gig data plan (forced by VZW if you buy the Droid)
$30 additional for "Unlimited" Tethering (but this option includes another 5 gig of data)
$15 addition if you want to use Exchange features

So, thats an additional whopping $75 just be able to have Data, Tether, and use Exchange??!!?!!?

This is why I left VZW. Besides, why do they insist on calling a 5 gig cap "Unlimited". I use almost 4 gigs a month on my Sprint account and I maybe tether one day at most.

Heres the article from PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._cost_you.html

Mods: If I have posted this in the wrong section, please forgive me. This is my first news submission. Just let me know, and I will move/delete it.

Yup, Thats the actual speeds I get from my 1U production server
If my posts have been helpful in any way, please click the "Thanks" button --------------------------------> ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Old 11-09-2009, 11:59 AM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: VZW Droid could cost as much as $75 above plan rates for Data, Tethering, Exchang

I don't think you need above the $30 plan but yeah I'm gonna try to get out of Verizon when my contract is up because they are greedy.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

BooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuffBooDaddy knows their stuff
Re: VZW Droid could cost as much as $75 above plan rates for Data, Tethering, Exchang

Well, if you dont plan on tethering and dont plan on using an Exchange server, then all you will need is the $30 forced data plan.

But if your like alot of "power users" (like me), then those features are kinda necessary. I need exchange for my work email, and I also need to be able to tether. Although I hardly tether, there are times when I have to remote some servers when I am on the road, and free WIFI isnt always easy to find

Honestly, VZW should just have a flat rate pricing. I mean what justifies the extra 15 bucks for Exchange? Why not include all of those features in the 30 data plan?.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

x10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on repx10guy is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Bottom line is that the can do it because they know their customers will pay it..

Sprint has the lowest pricing and is bleeding customers
Verizon has higher prices (and the best coverage) and they know they can charge customers more. And their customers may complain but most of the always pay.

Charge less and lose customers...
Chare more and gain customers...
Which business model would you chose?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G
Carrier: Sprint

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

That $15 exchange charge is for corporate accounts only. Normal users will only pay $30, and can still use exchange.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:59 PM
I see you have a PPC.
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Borged Alltel

MrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMrObvious is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Yeah I was gonna say you can use Exchange just fine. And Sprint's business model isn't hurting them, just that they lost so much earlier and now it is hurting them.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:32 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Personal accounts dont pay the 15.00 for exchange.

Just like winMo there is a workaround for tethering that lets you do it without the Verizon service.

Sprint and AT&T require their premium plans with their high end phones as well which also have a 5gb limit on data.

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

I dunno if I would tether using a "hack". check out the TOS for VZW "unlimited" data plans:

Quote:
"DATA PLANS AND FEATURES

Data Plans and Features (such as NationalAccess, BroadbandAccess, GlobalAccess, Push to Talk, and certain VZEmail services) may ONLY be used with wireless devices for the following purposes: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access (including access to corporate intranets, email, and individual productivity applications like customer relationship management, sales force, and field service automation). The Data Plans and Features MAY NOT be used for any other purpose. Examples of prohibited uses include, without limitation, the following: (i) continuous uploading, downloading or streaming of audio or video programming or games; (ii) server devices or host computer applications, including, but not limited to, Web camera posts or broadcasts, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections or peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing; or (iii) as a substitute or backup for private lines or dedicated data connections. This means, by way of example only, that checking email, surfing the Internet, downloading legally acquired songs, and/or visiting corporate intranets is permitted, but downloading movies using P2P file sharing services and/or redirecting television signals for viewing on laptops is prohibited. A person engaged in prohibited uses, continuously for one hour, could typically use 100 to 200 MBs, or, if engaged in prohibited uses for 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, could use more than 5 GBs in a month.

For individual use only and not for resale. We reserve the right to protect our network from harm, which may impact legitimate data flows. We reserve the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred, and to deny or terminate service, without notice, to anyone we believe is using an Data Plan or Feature in any manner prohibited above or whose usage adversely impacts our network or service levels. Anyone using more than 5 GB per line in a given month is presumed to be using the service in a manner prohibited above, and we reserve the right to immediately terminate the service of any such person without notice. We also reserve the right to terminate service upon expiration of Customer Agreement term."
If they caught you tethering unauthorized, then you would be stuck paying the outrageous and double priced cancellation fee.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:50 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid
Carrier: Verizon

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Pretty sure its the same for Sprint too. None of the carriers want you tethering without paying them for it, but we all do it. If you wouldn't tether using a "hack" then how exactly are you tethering?
Old 11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Linux Administrator
Threadstarter

I actually added PAM on one of my SERO accounts just last week. I think it was like 10 bucks extra. But the cool thing about that is the fact you can load up the sprint software on your laptop, use the phone as a modem, legally, AND they have a cool feature that passes the phones GPS data to your laptop....essentially letting you use your phone as a tethered modem, and an external GPS receiver.

I remember reading somewhere (I think on the sprintusers forum) that sprint's data plans were truly unlimited. I could be wrong on that, I will look for the link and post it if I find it.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives