PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc
Bank Allows Direct Deposit Directly From the iPhone

USAA, a privately held bank and insurance company that serves primarily military personnel and their families, has launched an iPhone app that allows customers the ability to deposit checks simply by snapping a picture of an endorsed check. With only one banking location located in their home town of San Antonio, it is difficult for many of its banking customers, especially those stationed abroad, to deposit checks. Before customers would need to mail in checks for deposit which would be difficult for those stationed overseas.

The app works simply by opening Deposit@Mobile in the USAA Mobile App, entering the deposit amount, choosing the account, and then submitting photos of the front and back of the endorsed check. Afterward the customer will get a confirmation of the transaction.

In addition to depositing checks the free iPhone app allows users to view account information, locate ATMs, calculate loans, locate a rental car and record accident details to file a claim.

Although many financial instutions allow customers to deposit checks by sending scanned copies electronically, USAA appears to be the first to use mobile phone technology to do this. Several financial institutions have mobile banking apps. For example, Bank of America also has apps available for the iPhone, Blackberry, and Android but all lack the ability to deposit checks.

We can only hope that other financial institutions will follow USAA's lead and not only use the iPhone OS but perhaps other mobile operating systems

The application is available via the iPhone App Store.

About USAA

Last edited by sanmanc; 08-11-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman
Re: Bank Allows Direct Deposit Directly From the iPhone

People think this is a good idea....but this is the worst thing to happen yet, check fraud and ID fraud is going to triple now
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Retired Staff-MordyT.com
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

MordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the communityMordyT is a trusted member of the community

i want to see it ported to winmo.
great time to use that quide MS just put out...
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
5. Everyone who thanks my post will receive instant karma!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers2114 View Post
MordyT is right.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Beejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regularBeejis is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordyT View Post
i want to see it ported to winmo.
great time to use that quide MS just put out...
I hope they do too. I use USAA as my car insurer, now I might consider them as a bank.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:11 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 (soon I hope)
Carrier: Verizon
Location: Currently.....the worlds largest waterless beach....AKA Iraq :(

GCPDpaul is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
People think this is a good idea....but this is the worst thing to happen yet, check fraud and ID fraud is going to triple now

USAA has been doing something similiar for quite some time. I have had USAA since 2003, and they are a GREAT bank. They currently use what is called Deposit@Home where you can scan your check with a scanner, and elctronically submit it. It is a great tool, and has made my life much easier.

USAA also has one of the most leading edge anti-fraud departments out of any financial institution. It may seem alarming, but this is actually just as safe as going into the bank with the check in hand. Sure there will be people that try to scam the system, but what would be the difference of someone trying to forge a check and submit it electronically or forge and submit via mail?

Also USAA runs a credit check in order to be approved for this service. Studies have shown that those with higher credit ratings are less likely to commit some type of fraudulant activity for financial gain. So if you have a crap credit rating, then you will not be allowed to partake in this service. (and yes.....I know good credit does not mean that one will not commit a crime, that is why I said LESS LIKELY)
Old 08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

ProtoProtoss is just getting started

Time to open an account and deposit these two 15 million dollar checks I just received anonymously... :-/ And to think... all I needed was perfect credit, go figure.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond Pro

executor485 is a n00b

USAA is the best bank, period... This is just another brilliant idea that they have put into action. There are so many protections they incorporate into their systems that they are able to do things like this with confidence in their ability to keep things under control. Its no different than their online check scanning system, its just making it easier for their customers. Another feature they put into practice is limiting the amount you can deposit per day... So a $50,000 check isnt going to just magically appear and be deposited into your account, you'll have to send that one in so they can run their security measures and ensure its not a fradulent check and authorized by the issuie.
Also consider the fact that if someone does use this service, or any other service USAA offers, for fraudulant activity... They wont have the opportunity to do it again, and they'll probably be enjoying a nice prison sentence. USAA doesnt take their security lightly, and for a good reason, look at their customers, military members and their families. Its not open to the public like every other bank out there.
I just hope they open this up to WM phones as well... I think WM phones might get some more attention when WM7 is officially released with their app store though.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: VZW

Guero knows their stuffGuero knows their stuffGuero knows their stuffGuero knows their stuffGuero knows their stuffGuero knows their stuffGuero knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejis View Post
I hope they do too. I use USAA as my car insurer, now I might consider them as a bank.
Dito.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff

You still gotta write out the check and that is the bummer. Now if it would allow the use of a scanned image of the front/back of the check and for you to enter that information in a form and email it, then that would allow us to be GREEN and keep from killing all of the little trees. Who knows, someone might even get a GREEN STAR award. Sure. Really.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Was this article deemed unworthy of the front page? Why was it removed?

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Tags
banking, iphone, mobile banking