PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Iphone not the only one vulnerable to SMS hack. Windows Mobile is vulnerable too.

I'm surprised there is not already much talk about this.

Some sites mention Windows Mobile and Android are vulnerable too and some specifically mention the HTC User Interface, I assume they mean TF3D.

Anyway, there are no shortage of articles about it.

The full detailed write-up from the Black Hat conference can be read here.

I'm hoping we can come up with ways to protect ourselves.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Evo 4G
Carrier: Sprint

TheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on repTheBundo is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Iphone not the only one vulnerable to SMS hack. Windows Mobile is vulnerable too.

We've known about SMS and Bluetooth hacks for years. SmartPhoneTracker utilizes an SMS intercept to work
Old 07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: LG enV Touch
Carrier: Verizon

thvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuffthvoicwethin knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to thvoicwethin Send a message via Skype™ to thvoicwethin
Re: Iphone not the only one vulnerable to SMS hack. Windows Mobile is vulnerable too.

i just read about the iphones being hacked via SMS. Thanks for the heads up (clicked the green button )
EDIT: I've known about bluetooth hacks for a few years now as well.

Commander of the Non-Data Users Team.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

A Microsoft product...with vulnerabilities...you don't say..

I thought they were called "undocumented features" :/
________
affair Webcams

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

There is, hibby posted a thread bout it somewhere, on the phone now, else id go find it.

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 08-01-2009, 02:55 AM
Cheers! ^^
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO 2

TnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuffTnA-2xXtReM knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TnA-2xXtReM Send a message via Yahoo to TnA-2xXtReM

Wished that they can hack my Touch Pro so I can trade in for a shiny new one
Old 08-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff

And so ideas to prevent becoming a victim?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:11 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
And so ideas to prevent becoming a victim?
You generally wont be a victim..its an sms hack right? so they need to know your phone number + OS you are running which is highly unlikely. Not to mention that if its WM, there are many people with different versions and variations.

If your still paranoid, there are mobile security solutions from most vendors.
________
Murci?lago

Last edited by gTen; 04-14-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
If your still paranoid, there are mobile security solutions from most vendors.
Well I already have such a solution personally, but I was hoping there may be discussion on ways to actually patch the hole if that is possible.

I think we all realize today the probability it low, but I doubt it will remain that way. (I don't even have the SMS filtering for the security package I have enabled.) Spammers seem to get phone numbers, bad hackers could send various messages if using a drone to send messages and I don't see anything in the Black Hat presentation paper that notes any version of WM handles the problem any differently.

Of course, if nobody cares to place any priority on the problem, MS won't bother fixing it and it just leaves the door open. Anyway, like I said, I've got a package I can enable if needed, but I'd like to see the hole patched.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50

Quote:
Originally Posted by No1ustad View Post
There is, hibby posted a thread bout it somewhere, on the phone now, else id go find it.
On the Front-Page News.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives