PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM
The Hibster
Pocket PC: 3DDD :p
Carrier: Sprint 4g

hibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the communityhibby50 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to hibby50 Send a message via MSN to hibby50
Apple REJECTS GV App.!

Why does Apple get to decide what applications your iPhone can run? That's a question on customers' minds today after Apple rejected Google Voice as an iPhone application, apparently to protect AT&T's lock on iPhone users.

This is another example of how Apple's monopoly control over iPhone apps is bad for customers.

Google Voice is a next-generation telephone management system that allows users to share a single number among all their phones. It also provides SMS, voicemail, and speech-to-text conversion of incoming voicemail messages. All for free.

It's easy to imagine Google Voice users might not to want to pay AT&T for features that Google is giving away. So, apparently to protect AT&T, Apple rejected Google Voice.

Currently available by invitation only, Google Voice is already available as a mobile application for Android and BlackBerry handsets. The app provides access to Google Voice features, including the ability make a call appear to be coming from the user's Google Voice number.

Apple is well-known for its control-freak tendencies, but rejecting Google Voice as an iPhone application is just too much. Apple should be ashamed. And it's iPhone applications monopoly should be broken.

Original Post Here

Old 07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ
Carrier: Sprint

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Re: Apple REJECTS GV App.!

yea, I read that last night.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:18 PM
Chewy tha Monkey Hunta
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 3D & (Girl's) HTC Inspire "4G"

jbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on repjbearamus is halfway to VIP status based on rep

on the plus side GV is already up and running on jailbroken iphones but yeah its pretty sad that apple feels the need to be that controlling
Old 07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Its not the first nor the last time this sort of thing will happen with iPhone/Apple/Att. They crippled both Skype and SlingPlayer at AT&Ts request. They reject apps for foul language etc.. but you can certainly approve 500 flashlight apps though their "quality control" approval process.

I love my iPod Touch but I jailbroke that badboy for the simple reason I dont think Apple should be able to tell me what I can and cannot do with my device.

I will stick with more open platforms for my phone even if it does come at the expense of some of the polish and usability that make the iPhone appealing.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:49 PM
b00nsquad
Pocket PC: Touch PRO 2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

boggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIPboggsie is a VIP

I'm surprised at the reaction ... the platform has been, is and will be closed. That is the nature of Apple and their products. One of the things it helps to maintain is the user experience and profit margin.

If you really wanted a phone with an open platform, you would have moved to android.

Best regards,
-boggsie
Old 07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

eehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regulareehrhard is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

The crappy thing is the excuses apple is giving; "confuses users" for the rejecting latitude app, "duplicates iPhone functionality" for GV apps etc... I mean seriously who is going to be confused by googles stalking application? Come out and say ATT killed google voice. Its lame that they approved the apps only to come back later and ALL gv apps.

If I had developed an app that had been approved and was selling I would be livid if Apple did this to me and my company. But anyway off the shoebox.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:33 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by eehrhard View Post
If I had developed an app that had been approved and was selling I would be livid if Apple did this to me and my company. But anyway off the shoebox.

Yeah, I read that they pretty much brickwalled the 3rd party developer, he could'nt get any real dialouge going as to why and what he could do. I know he must've been struggling to keep his cool over the phone.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Savok is a n00b

If this was a Microsoft phone and they did the same thing, all hell would break loose. Nothing like fair practices, eh?
Old 07-30-2009, 09:40 PM
College ROM Teacher ESQ
Pocket PC: College ROM iphony Killer
Carrier: $print

piranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on reppiranah is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via Yahoo to piranah

one more reason i really dont like apple...i love jobs in that he went up against gates, and he might not have any say in this, but im sure something had to pass his desk......the iphony is getting absurd...its telling its users what it wants.. many of these developers are spending many hours and days developing these apps, in the hopes they will be approved..what they need to do is start a pre-approval process, so that way people dont waste their time with it, since the iphony feels that you cant be an individual when using its products...+1 for non iphony users....now if people would adapt android/linux in masses, it would be unreal...

Help Me Help You
Old 07-30-2009, 10:12 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savok View Post
If this was a Microsoft phone and they did the same thing, all hell would break loose. Nothing like fair practices, eh?
LOL it kinda is, without the consequences, its missing is people ditching AT&T or their iPhone...

Jailbreaking is barely a consequence, its just a factor they can't "dictate".

A whole bunch of hot air complains from the iPhone community. Google Voice isn't the 1st last or only app that was extremely cool/useful to meet the axe.

It does open the eyes of smarter buyers an allows for a possible spread to alternative phones rather than continuing the cancer-like iSheeping for the iPhone/AT&T marriage.

iPhone isn't a bad phone, its the people puppeteering your life behind it that are rotten.

Last edited by Genjinaro; 07-30-2009 at 10:16 PM.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives