PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 08:38 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Marketplace to ship with 600 Apps!

whosdaman, what i think u r failing to realize is that we make up a very small minority of winmo users. microsoft is trying to tap into the more casual market much like apple has done. xda and ppcgeeks are great for people like u and i but the vast majority of users will never know they exist. marketplace will never replace this site or xda imo but it will be a great tool to help ms display all that winmo can do to a larger audience
Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
whosdaman, what i think u r failing to realize is that we make up a very small minority of winmo users. microsoft is trying to tap into the more casual market much like apple has done. xda and ppcgeeks are great for people like u and i but the vast majority of users will never know they exist. marketplace will never replace this site or xda imo but it will be a great tool to help ms display all that winmo can do to a larger audience
Well maybe we should advertse it better, maybe mmake a free app for ppcgeeks and xda so people can easily access them...namely XDA though

The description cold be, access to thousands of free apps
Old 07-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

There were several "app stores" that were put into development at xda to try and make a free repository but none of them have been any good. I am not trying to take anything away from the developers at XDA or here, but the reason they have so many updates is because the software does not work correctly. Face it, while there are some good things out of XDA and I never want them to go away, most of the development there hacking and modding and practically all of it (software development and hacking and modding) is done at an amateur level. HOPEFULLY, the official app store will allow us the use of products that are less amateur and more polished.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Whosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributionsWhosdaman should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via AIM to Whosdaman Send a message via MSN to Whosdaman Send a message via Yahoo to Whosdaman Send a message via Skype™ to Whosdaman

lol you think just because Microsoft makes an app store the apps will be more polished??? lol....have you not seen or heard of XP, Vista, or WM7? Or any of their programs like Microsoft Office, PIE, WM6, Internet Explorer 7.....I mean even the big dogs can't even get it right....and all I did was name Microsft stuff
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

I think Apple's App Store has brought more attention to software development on handsets as a business model for website and developers. I think that if Microsoft can half way replicate the success that Apple has had with their app store then it will be better for all of us.

Either way I do not see how that relates to the slew of MS products that you listed. I know that people may have complaints about several of the MS products that you listed but that is irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:39 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero157h7 View Post
I think Apple's App Store has brought more attention to software development on handsets as a business model for website and developers. I think that if Microsoft can half way replicate the success that Apple has had with their app store then it will be better for all of us.

Either way I do not see how that relates to the slew of MS products that you listed. I know that people may have complaints about several of the MS products that you listed but that is irrelevant to the conversation at hand.
No it isn't....it shows how bad develops are at developing their own product, and most of the time the apps are a 1 man show on XDA....so for what it's worth, they get it right most of the time, usually the updates are for adds and sometimes the occasional bug, but they fix the little bugs

Big time devs, won't fix little bugs and make a release....they will let all the bugs pile up until the next big release, then do the same process again, unlink XDA which all the devs update their product weekly to maintain it, like S2U2
Old 07-09-2009, 10:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Evo Shift 4G

tokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stufftokuzumi knows their stuff

I think we know one person who won't use the marketplace.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:30 AM
VIP Member

I'm not saying I won't use it...if there are free apps then I will use it, but to pay for an app on WM is just plain stupid
Old 07-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Awesomenss :)
Pocket PC: Google Hammerhead
Carrier: T-Mobile

orangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the communityorangekid is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to orangekid Send a message via MSN to orangekid Send a message via Yahoo to orangekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosdaman View Post
I'm not saying I won't use it...if there are free apps then I will use it, but to pay for an app on WM is just plain stupid
agreed, but if they have lots of free apps, it will make winmo devices more popular and who knows, maybe there will be some pretty cool apps. plus there are some more complicated programs that would be nice that I have never seen attempted at XDA, like live forex charts
Old 07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Update: Will be available for WM6.0 and 6.1 too, except for Verizon some are saying haha. But he doesn't mention that. Here:

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=5710

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives