PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 06:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(VZN)
Carrier: Verizon

russianmafioso is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ericsson deploys 3.5G in Italy, faster than Sprint's 4G

This is great news for everyone who isnt using Sprint!

Quote:
It looks like Ericsson engineers took offense at Sprint's 4G claims - several engineers contacted us and gave us details about their 28Mbps 3.5G service. A couple of weeks ago, we ran a story in which we criticized Sprint for branding their WiMAX service as a 4G one. In our comments section, you could read the debate what is and what should not be considered as 4G. In Sprint's terms, WiMAX clearly qualifies for 4G, even though that "4G" moniker is the defined standard as Long Term Evolution or LTE - data and voice technology to be used in next-gen of cellphones and smart devices.
more info here...
http://brightsideofnews.com/news/200...prints-4g.aspx
Old 04-15-2009, 06:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Sprint

Peteman100 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Ericsson deploys 3.5G in Italy, faster than Sprint's 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianmafioso View Post
This is great news for everyone who isnt using Sprint!

more info here...
http://brightsideofnews.com/news/200...prints-4g.aspx
You might want to change your comment to "This is great news for everyone who isn't using Sprint and doesn't live in the US!" Good luck seeing this implemented stateside.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro(VZN)
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

russianmafioso is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
You might want to change your comment to "This is great news for everyone who isn't using Sprint and doesn't live in the US!" Good luck seeing this implemented stateside.
Well, you really never know. But the real thing is... its possible. Carriers may not end up doing this in the states because they are going with LTE but its good to know that HSPA is already running at very high speeds and that the WiMax 4G deal is just a gimmick.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

Peteman100 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russianmafioso View Post
Well, you really never know. But the real thing is... its possible. Carriers may not end up doing this in the states because they are going with LTE but its good to know that HSPA is already running at very high speeds and that the WiMax 4G deal is just a gimmick.
You can hope all you want but its not gonna happen. History has proven that with US carriers. And there is no reason to hate because Sprint has faster data than you!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

How is it possible to say that 3.5g is faster overseas then 4g(WiMax) over here. WiMax has the bandwidth to be faster then wireless and covers a broader range. 1 Tower for WiMax can blanket 25-35miles out from the tower. meaning 1 to 2 towers could cover a large city. It might just be that they are not going to be using the WiMax to its fullest bandwidth right now.

Thats like saying you people on cable suck bc FIOS is faster.... Cable modems with DOCSIS 3 speck can run @ almost 200mbs downstream and 100mbs up ... thats faster then most peoples hard drives. Not that anyone is pushing those speeds over cable right now. You just have to let the Consumers and devices catch up with the technology and the carrier must have the bandwidth to put out there right now.

Its all a moot point it does not matter how fast its advertised its how fast it actually is in the real world. As the average for US 3g right now is 1.2mbs i remeber just 5-6 years ago that was blazing fast for a home connection.

Think B4 u post something just to dis one carrier over another. Especially if you do not know the facts or understand the underlying technology that makes it possible for you to drive down the road and listen to music over the internet or watch a video on youtube(preferably in the passenger seat) @ highway speeds.

Heck to some old timers they must seem like they r living from something outa a scifi movie as most the stuff we take for granted today would have been only something from peoples dreams.

Now I am done ranting flame me if u want but it does not matter to me I didn't have to post this I just felt like the ignorance of others once started as a rumor can be spread around enough it becomes the norm like its really true if people have said it long enough.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I was lead to understand that the "G" in 3G and 4G referred to a generational step forward in technology for mobile broadband. 4G is not LTE, it is simply the next generation of wireless connectivity. I believe Sprint is well within their rights in calling Wi-Max a 4G technology. Read up on the Wi-Max standard. The things it promises are pretty insane
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

"Ericsson deploys 3.5G in Italy" They could call it whatever they want to they just called it 3.5g as a marketing scheme. My 3.5 is better then Your 4G
Old 04-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Regular 'Geeker

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2k83 View Post
"Ericsson deploys 3.5G in Italy" They could call it whatever they want to they just called it 3.5g as a marketing scheme. My 3.5 is better then Your 4G
I found it interesting when they asked for actual speeds, not theoretical, the guys didn't have anything to say! I mean EVrevA is theoretically capable of 3.1 down, yet I have never experienced anything better than half that!

Last edited by parkjam; 04-16-2009 at 02:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Regular 'Geeker

My thoughts exactly.. You notice they did not post WiMax Theoretical speeds.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator2k83 View Post
My thoughts exactly.. You notice they did not post WiMax Theoretical speeds.
Nope, That is where Wi-Max is cool though, they can choose to implement it for distance, or for speed. Depends on what they are trying to achieve. I think the max theoretical for Wi-Max is 70mbits, but if they choose to, they can turn the speed down and increase distances out to ~30miles from the transmitter.

Wi-Max will definitely grow. It is a unifying standard that will be used as a primary source of high speed internet access in rural america. I lived in an extremely small town before I moved last year, and their were 4 providers offering fixed wireless internet access. It was crazy, the biggest one had a 4 week wait list on installs, they couldn't keep up with demand. I would imagine similar situations exist in other rural areas. Wi-Max is well positioned to be adopted as a standard for those companies. As such, you will see it implemented in more hardware.

Did Sprint make the right choice going with Wi-Max, maybe, maybe not. The technology itself is sound though, and whether or not the implement it in their cellular networks in the future, it will be a good investment for them.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives