PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
╚════════════════╝
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 & HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to jethro_static
Rumor:HTC Touch HD will come to U.S. in android flavor

Ok guys, I found this article over the net and it is a rumor as of yet. So don't get over excited.I got this rumor from 1 of the most respectable phone website out there. I am not really an Android fan, In fact I really don't like Android. But I think U guys still ought to know.

here is my own take on the topic. I really doubt it will happen, But Who knows? HTC recently came out with an announcement that the "Touch HD" is not coming to the U.S. What if the android version was renamed,for example, G2? So technically, Touch HD is not coming to the U.S. but G2 prolly will. So HTC won't be lying. they just didn't tell the truth. Take note, HTC said they have cool devices coming tho. It's up to U guys. Whatever the outcome is, U see it here, First!

The Rumor:

Two unrelated sources tipped off PhoneDog stating that T-Mobile is already prepping a version of HTC’s Touch HD to be their next Android-powered handset. Many Android Community members have expressed their wishes for the HTC Touch HD to become an Android-powered device.
The pic is not suppose to be the actual pic. It's just for reference.

While one of the sources is a tipster that likes to pass along anything interesting they may hear, the other apparently has a pretty decent track record when it comes to leaking upcoming handset information accurately. Neither of the sources are part of HTC or T-Mobile.
The HTC Touch HD, not be confused with the HTC Touch Pro, has specs similar to the G1. The Touch HD would make a perfect Android-powered handset to compete with the leading phones in the US. The Touch HD is most noted for having a large display that beats even the iPhone 3G. Boasting a large 3.8-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with 480 x 800 WVGA resolution, this phone easily one of the best to look at. However HTC today revealed that they would not be bringing the Touch HD to the US, as it lacks US-spec 3G and they feel the device would be outdated by the time it could be re-engineered.
Picture provided by Android Community member heyitsnan.

Source here:
I'm publishing this one as much because I want it to happen as anything else. I got it from two unrelated sources late last week that T-Mobile is prepping a version of HTC's Touch HD as their next Android phone. One of the sources was the ever talkative Anonymous Tipster, but the other one was somebody with a decent track record when it comes to accurately leaking info on upcoming handset releases. Neither of them are inside the folds of HTC or T-Mo, and no I haven't signed an NDA I'm trying to get around here.
Personally, I'd love to see a T-Mo branded (and subsidized) Touch HD running Android on the carrier's lovely new 3G network here in the U.S. Touch HD would give T-mo two things I think it needs: A flashy Android phone, and a tricked-out, high-end iPhone competitor.
Treat this as rumor and nothing more at this point, but if anything more comes of this one I'll be sure to let you know. I promise.

taken from:
http://www.phonedog.com/cell-phone-r...oid-phone.aspx

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=15833021835

Last edited by jethro_static; 10-07-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
╚════════════════╝
Threadstarter

jethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjethro_static is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Rumor:HTC Touch HD will come to U.S. in android flavor

Some more related issue at android guys website:

Too Early to Start Talking G2? Not According to Some

We’re still a couple of weeks away from getting G1 handsets in the hands of the masses, yet that doesn’t stop some from thinking considerably further ahead.
If you think about about 6 weeks ago, we first reported on the domain names that were secured by T-Mobile. As a refresher, Android Community had dug up 5 domain URL’s that ranged from T-MobileG1.com through T-MobileG5.com. We’ve speculated here a time or two that a G2 device might be completely different looking from the G1 that everyone is familiar with. Perhaps a flip phone or all touch screen device.

Our expectations were, and still are, that T-Mobile will roll out their next Android handset a few months after the G1 dust settles. Maybe sometime in the first half of 2008 would be my guess. It’s hard to imagine the carrier dropping something relatively soon after their biggest handset of all time. There’d be serious outrage if something better, shinier, or less “clunky” arrived right on the heels of something that just tied people up for two years.
Nevertheless, someone is already talking about the G2 like it’s already a foregone conclusion. The boys over at PhoneDog have a pair of tipsters who claim that Magnificent Magenta is hard at work on a handset based on the HTC Touch HD as their follow up.
A couple of things to point out. First, the article from PhoneDog is the only place we’ve seen this so far. Secondly, it’s already a week old and nothing else has been confirmed or even hinted at elsewhere. Apparently it doesn’t matter to Noah Kravitz who says that one of the sources is “somebody with a decent track record when it comes to accurately leaking info on upcoming handset releases.” We’ll see.
If you’re not familiar with the Touch HD, you ought to do yourself a favor. It’s by far the best looking device to come from Taiwan-based HTC. The specs are almost identical to the G1, yet it looks more polished and capable of taking on you know who

taken from here:
http://androidguys.com/?p=2016
Old 10-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Apache, Touch Vogue, Touch Diamond, HTC Hero

Goddbless is a n00b

Not a big fan of Android and especially not a fan of T-Mobile!
Old 10-07-2008, 09:32 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

i personally dont believe it, but it doesnt mean that i woudnt mind it happening. Its too early for the g2 and i dont think that they will remove a full keyboard for its next version. If the touch HD comes it would be a different series than the g1

plus the pic is photoshopped as well (poorly to add)
Old 10-07-2008, 09:43 PM
╚════════════════╝
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20pr View Post
i personally dont believe it, but it doesnt mean that i woudnt mind it happening. Its too early for the g2 and i dont think that they will remove a full keyboard for its next version. If the touch HD comes it would be a different series than the g1

plus the pic is photoshopped as well (poorly to add)
about the pic:
Picture provided by Android Community member heyitsnan. in the middle of the article
Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Indigenous Nudist
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Torx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIPTorx is a VIP

first glance at this thread... "photoshop. rumor. tmobile. android. gotta be fake"
but imma let it ride for more publicity.

no doubt i wanna see the usa version in android.
why?

because we'll have an android rom AND the option for the windows mobile rom from across seas to play with. we'll have the best of both worlds given the rom hackers can make it happen.

just imagine a kitchen or the option to say.. "hmm, i wanna run winmo this week"
that would be awesome.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

How can you guys talk about Android like you have actually used a production version?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch HD (Blackstone)
Carrier: T-Mobile US

jim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuffjim2561 knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero157h7 View Post
How can you guys talk about Android like you have actually used a production version?
same way we can talk about HD like we have used a production version

nah but just basically off of what we know right? you have seen my vogue thread for dzo's awesome contribution, and you know that we have android 1.0 running on our devices. what we have heard, seen in videos, and played with ourselves gives us...a pretty darn good idea of what its going to shape up to be.

give it a month and dzo will for sure have the fullest complete anroid there is out there running smoothly on the vogue ...and by then ill have the hd lol.

Don't forget to donate or say thanks!

Flashing How To for Vogue

Super cheap phones: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=39267

HD or iPhone http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=44839

Android on Vogue (by dzo): http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=23244
Old 10-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

zero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuffzero157h7 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to zero157h7 Send a message via AIM to zero157h7 Send a message via MSN to zero157h7 Send a message via Yahoo to zero157h7 Send a message via Skype™ to zero157h7

Thing is, I have the newest version on my sd card and I really like it. It is blazing fast and running off of a card. Not to mention it is a hacked up thrown together unofficial version.

Also, we are judging the hd based on specs which are a bit more finite.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives