PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 10:53 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

crise is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to crise Send a message via Yahoo to crise
Sprint to roll out limited WiMAX network this week

We’ve been whining about Sprint’s seeming lack of focus on its WiMAX (XOHM) network, and all that complaining may have paid off. Actually, our incessant goading probably had little nothing to do with Sprint’s newest announcement, but it’s nice to think we had some sort of influence.

Sprint’s WiMAX network is slated to go live this week in a limited trial-run. The 4G (well, it’s officially a 3G standard, but we think it qualifies as 4G) WiMAX network will be rolled out this week for Sprint employees only - in an effort to get its network ready for prime-time trials in Q1 of 2008. As it stands, Sprint will be flipping the WiMAX-switch on the downtown centers of Chicago, Baltimore and Washington - expanding to other US cities based on wireless data demand. Clearwire is out of the picture, but we’re assuming that Sprint’s leaving the door open to other investors to help with the nationwide network launch.

The trial-run launch of Sprint’s WiMAX network this week barely makes the carrier’s self-imposed deadline for the launch of its 4G network by year’s end. We’ve heard rumor after rumor that put the entire WiMAX venture in doubt, so it’s good to see that Sprint is still committed to bringing their mobile broadband 4G network online in-time for a 2008 commercial roll-out. The full commercial launch should cement Sprint’s position as the premier high-speed wireless data provider in the States - Verizon and AT&T’s LTE network won’t even see the light of day until 2009. All your financial woes may take a turn for the better, Sprint. Keep on keepin’ on!

source: http://www.intomobile.com/2007/12/11...this-week.html
Old 01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I don't know why nobody seems to be excited about this.

WiMAX is basically Wi-Fi but with a much longer range. It is capable of speeds that exceed 802.11G

Let me say that again... THIS IS BASICALLY AN 802.11G HOTSPOT THAT FOLLOWS YOU AROUND! The speed is only limited by what Sprint is willing to provide. I have 15Mbps FiOS and WiMAX is 5 times faster than that!!

Not only that, but it's actually cheaper for them to run/maintain, so it is expected to be CHEAPER than PowerVision.

Now, why isn't anybody excited about this?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC touch
Carrier: Sprint SERO

badchad is becoming a great contributor
So this is probably a dumb question, but what kind of hardware do you need to access the WiMAX network?
Old 01-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Initially, there will only be two WiMAX devices: a wireless access point and a laptop card, both made by Zyxel. Sprint's priority this year will be rolling out WiMAX in as many metro areas as possible. However, in 2009 (or maybe even the second half of this year) we will start to see phones that are WiMAX capable. I suspect it will be the high-end phones at first, and then it will trickle down. Of course, who knows how long that will take, since Sprint still sells phones that aren't even PowerVision capable.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker

There are a lot of people using cellular laptop cards. They will see a HUGE speed boost with this.

Sprint isn't delaying WiMAX. A quick google search will tell you that they have been running WiMAX in Chicago, Boston, and DC for the last month. What possible reason would they have to stop a service that is already running?

As far as the phone deal... I can understand that. But here at PPCGeeks, we tend to get excited about advancements in technology even if we can't take advantage of them yet. Being one year or so away from true broadband speeds on a convergence device is definitely exciting to me.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

neodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regularneodorian is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Nice. I live in Baltimore. Maybe my next PPC will be WiMax capable.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker

So "a freeze on new developments" translates into "shutting down existing networks"?

Would you like to eat your words now or later?
Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker

That's my point... you can't delay something that has already started. Therefore, WiMAX cannot be delayed.

I've read that new developments have been frozen, but it's so ambiguous it's hard to put too much stock in it. First, I haven't found a direct quote or press release from Sprint, so I don't know exactly how it came "straight from the horse's mouth." Second, "new developments" has many possible meanings. Does he mean new devices? New carrier-side technology? New markets?

I just find it hard to believe that a company would stop working on something indefinitely and then showcase it at CES a month later.

PPCGeeks > Site Information > Smartphone News > News Archives