PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 07:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch alltel diamond
Carrier: Alltel (now Verizon)

inferno1 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Droid Does (not) do coffee :(

so my droid had a bad mishap with my wifes cup of coffee...
i had the battery pulled in less then 3 seconds and wiped the phone down, didnt seem like any actually made it in the phone. i waited about 3 hrs then put the battery back in and turned it on, all seemed fine, phone turned on and functioned, but my battery was about dead and i didnt have a charger.... it turned off... i hoped it was just the dead battery but had to wait a few hours before i could charge it...
after plugging it in the screen back light wouldnt come on, i could make out the stuff on the screen but barely.... then after a few minutes that went away and the screen isnt working at all.
the phone still works, it turns on, unlocks and i can feel the tactile feedback when i press buttons, and even answered a call, just nothing on the screen...

is there any hope???

thanx
-Danny
Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Droid Does (not) do coffee :(

sounds like you may need to try to replace the screen... did the sensors trip that you can see anywhere on the phone? if not bring it into a store and see if they will fix it for you without mentioning any sort of water damage to them
Old 05-08-2010, 10:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

not exactly sure what you are asking....
im hoping it is just the screen, the front buttons light up and the keyboards lights up as well...
any idea how much it costs to replace the screen?
thanx
Old 05-09-2010, 12:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Bunsen Honeydew is keeping up the good workBunsen Honeydew is keeping up the good work

If the water damage indicators aren't showing that it got wet, just have it replaced under warranty.
Old 05-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Droids don't drink coffee.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

dutch169 is just getting started

My wife dropped hers into a sink of water. Dried it out for a few days and it works perfect. See if that works. Maybe coffee (or some other liquid beside water) that has other stuff added to it my affect different though.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thanx, ill give it a try, i have it in a bag of rice to see if it will dry out and help...

on the plus side, one of my lines is up for a new phone (two years are up)
so i have the option of getting a new droid or incredible for 199....

any opinions?
is the incredible rooted yet?
if i never used the keyboard on my droid, is there any reason i wouldnt be happy switching to an incredible?
thanx
Old 05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno1 View Post
thanx, ill give it a try, i have it in a bag of rice to see if it will dry out and help...

on the plus side, one of my lines is up for a new phone (two years are up)
so i have the option of getting a new droid or incredible for 199....

any opinions?
is the incredible rooted yet?
if i never used the keyboard on my droid, is there any reason i wouldnt be happy switching to an incredible?
thanx
stick with the droid the incredible is cheap feeling and not rooted
and IMO sense sucks

Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
If the water damage indicators aren't showing that it got wet, just have it replaced under warranty.
He didn't drop it in water it was coffee so I'm pretty sure the water indicator didn't go off... perhaps the moisture one did though ya know I'm teasing you!

This is the reason I have collected those little absorby baggies that come in packs of beef jerky, some other foods and electronics ( I don't know if the one that comes with shoes works too) these bags are designed to draw moisture out of product to keep them fresh, if you put a whole bunch of these in a ziplock back you'll have them ready for instances like this... something spills on your phone, remove the battery, dab off excess moisture from the outside of the phone and then throw it in the ziplock bag with the anti-moisture packets, set a side and leave for 24 hours. It's best if you're able to get a antistatic bag perhaps... I don't know for sure, you know the kind that comes with hard drives or other computer components...
I know the above works, because I've used it on my daughters phone

another method, I haven't tested, is using rice, that's right rice!
Remove the battery, dab excess moisture, remove any coverings that you're able to remove and place in a bag or bowl of uncooked rice... by natural process rice absorbs moisture... perhaps you can eat the rice when it's all said and done.

Don't use a hairdryer even on cool because it will force moisture deeper into your phone.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid