PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc incredible
Carrier: big red

quest7 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
droid does...?

thinking about getting the droid. it is sweet, but i have the tp2 now. so, what is it that droid does, that the tp2 doesn't? like the droid, just dont wanna buy it because its the "new thing". thanks.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
Re: droid does...?

i recently switched from the tp2 to the droid. the hardware is similar but android is WAAAAAAAAAAAY better than wm. I could take up 30 pages explaining everything it does that the tp2 doesnt but im not gonna. JUST GET IT OR ANY ANDROID PHONE, YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!

Old 04-24-2010, 04:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2
Carrier: Verizon

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Better interface, multitouch, no lag, high speeds, Google earth, sky map, compass, and a much smoother experience to name just a few. I had the VZW tp2 and the Droid puts it to shame. Made me wonder why I even bothered getting a tp2 first.
Old 04-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: EVIL V

EDGE23 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to EDGE23

There's no email search feature on droid. I receive and send a lot of emails(exchange) everyday and not having a search feature sucks big time, I'm considering going back to windows mobile or blackberry.
i think the browser on the droid is second best to the iphone/ipod touch. Scrolling is smooth, apps open fast, finger friendly, no noticeable lag. If you have had WM long enough you will be able to tell the difference in speed right away.
P.S. i don't know about the hero or eris? my answer is based on motorola droid.
samsung 680, a700, 920, legendary 9k, a900, 6700, treo 700wx, 6800, 6700, 6800(collecting dust), as of 01/09/08 htc touch, and 5/24/08 finally the blackberry curve, 10/15/08 touch pro, 4/30/09 boring blackberry curve again.
12/04/09 DROID.
WM, HTC, and BB can go to hell now.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM
N00b
Threadstarter

quest7 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
Better interface, multitouch, no lag, high speeds, Google earth, sky map, compass, and a much smoother experience to name just a few. I had the VZW tp2 and the Droid puts it to shame. Made me wonder why I even bothered getting a tp2 first.
hey thanks, this is what i wanted. detailed info of what the droid does over the tp2 and also the features that are missing(like email exchange and gif). that thing is a beast,like the idea of a 16gb card installed, but how high is the learning curve for a new guy? took me along time with winmo.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Hero, Droid
Carrier: Sprint, Verizon

nikeguy208 is a n00b

"but how high is the learning curve for a new guy? took me along time with winmo."

It's not difficult at all. Downloading apps and using them or running anything on the phone is fairly easy to do. Although the settings menu will take you a bit to get used to. Other than that you will love it, I was a WM guy for 11 years and wont go back.
Old 04-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Edge23, the Android OS doesn't include a native Exchange ActiveSync app so the hardware manufacturer is who makes the app. The HTC app is worlds better than the Motorola.

I would encourage any Android owner who's an email power user to try Touchdown. It's much more robust and supports almost all ActiveSync protocols. (Moto doesn't support 29 of them)
Old 04-24-2010, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Moto Droid

dutch169 is just getting started

I loved my TP2 when I first got it. Then the usual wm problems started. I would change roms all the time and then get their problems. Since I got the droid I loved it. Very user friendly. The settings takes a little getting use to but once you get it its great. Plus the othr droid users here are cool and don't flame you for a noob question. Unless a wm miracle happens I don't think I will ever go back. As for email, I have a gmail account and yahoo account. I used K9 email for yahoo when I rooted with droidmod. Now I have 2.1 and can use the email program it came with. 1 thing with the Moto Droid. I love this phone and got it for the physical keyboard. I rarely use it now. I got use to the on screen keyboad. So if you don't need a physical keyboard I would hold off for the incredible.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:45 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

quest7 is a n00b

All right guys, I got it! On it now, kb is kinda different. So what do I do first?
Old 04-24-2010, 02:52 PM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I would say the first thing you should do is just play with it as it came out of the box for a few days or even a week. Take the time to learn where everything is in the OS before you start modding it. Go through all the settings menus and get comfortable with all the stock features first. Doing this will give you a better understanding of the OS and will prevent the overload of learning a new OS plus learning how to mod the OS all at once. Start going through the sticky threads up top first, they will cover a lot of the basics and show you what apps you need first to have all the basic functions of the phone. After you've got that down, then you can look into rooting and custom ROMs

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid