PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I guess the DroidMod easy root will no longer work.

To be honest, I'm not sad about it. I love the SPRecovery app and without it the whole community would've had to wait for someone like Koush to come around... only a them and Adamz have really taken full advantage of it.

What I'm really talking about here is the actual DroidMod app itself. In my mind a bit too easy way of rooting, installing sprecovery, busybox, and their droidmod ROM.

Because of this they've built a community around people who either are not good with technology or can't be bothered to learn about it. Their ROM(s?) are nothing special and rather vanilla in the ROM world.

To me droidmod.apk is to the MotoDroid community what Apple is to the world. They have these loyal fanboys who think that the droidmod ROMs are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and because they tried a different ROM that wasn't DroidMod back in January they think everything else is subpar, unstable and has constant force closes. (In actuality other ROMs gave users apps like launcher2 which are notoriously buggy on Droid.)

Then their community came forth with the announcement that using ESE53 ROMs was unethical and equated it to warez in an otherwise noble and whitehat Motorola Droid exploiting world. This made me realize the DroidMod developing team had let their fanboys' praises get to their heads.

So, will DroidMod come out with something new and great along the lines of SPRecovery to put them back on the front lines of the Droid Modding world? Or will they peter out as there will no longer be an influx of new fanboys because the easy to root app droidmod.apk is now broke? I guess time will tell.

I really hope their upcoming recovery app which promises compatibility with Koush and Nandroid will come to fruition, and perhaps they will be able to build an APK which automates the rooting process for the new Droid users.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa
Re: I guess the DroidMod easy root will no longer work.

I don't see how it matters.
People seem to assume that the Droid will be around forever and that they're building a big Moto Droid community.
Sure, some people will have their Droids for years. But a lot of us (all of us that are true phone geeks, which is most anyone cross posting/helping in the various forum sites) will have long since moved on to another device before DroidMod even gets their act back together and build something new.

So I say "who fracking cares".
Old 04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
I don't see how it matters.
People seem to assume that the Droid will be around forever and that they're building a big Moto Droid community.
Sure, some people will have their Droids for years. But a lot of us (all of us that are true phone geeks, which is most anyone cross posting/helping in the various forum sites) will have long since moved on to another device before DroidMod even gets their act back together and build something new.

So I say "who fracking cares".
EXACTLY!
However, I am glad that I got it while it worked. It was a cakewalk to root and flash. The funny thing is that they just released a new DM v.11 a few days ago.

Last edited by tvandyck7; 04-01-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

They did? I didn't know that.
Though I didn't like DM1. I liked SM 2.0.5, and after that I had a small glitch with 2.0.6/1.0 (I believe they were one and the same) so I just kept using 2.0.5 - actually that was my favorite rom until ese53 came out.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:13 PM
X Communicated User
Pocket PC: IPHONE 4
Carrier: Sprint

pzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

im sure it will get fixed they love to break stuff
Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
They did? I didn't know that.
Though I didn't like DM1. I liked SM 2.0.5, and after that I had a small glitch with 2.0.6/1.0 (I believe they were one and the same) so I just kept using 2.0.5 - actually that was my favorite rom until ese53 came out.
There is not a new rom out, it is just a new version of the updater. The rom is the same old DM 1.0. What glitches were you having? I have run it since it came out without a single issue(that I know of).
Old 04-01-2010, 04:17 PM
X Communicated User
Pocket PC: IPHONE 4
Carrier: Sprint

pzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on reppzztgotbagz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

always problems
Old 04-01-2010, 04:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandyck7 View Post
There is not a new rom out, it is just a new version of the updater. The rom is the same old DM 1.0. What glitches were you having? I have run it since it came out without a single issue(that I know of).
I got a couple of lock-ups (where you have to pull the battery because the phone won't come out of standby). I had a few of those the 2 different times I tried 2.0.6 and 1.0. I even tried turning up my min setcpu speed to something higher than 250mhz in case that was causing it). Though I believe it is something to do with having TempMonitor in the notification bar along with my setcpu profiles (or maybe a combination of those two and some widget that I use?). At least that's my guess, and I also don't think it really had anything actually to do with DM1.0 - otherwise I wouldn't be the only one with that issue.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Threadstarter

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

Yeah, I agree, they won't be around forever. Their fanboys who claim that droidmod is the only stable rom etc... get on my nerves though. Then when they posted that huge article claiming the reason they'd done nothing in months was because they had more ethics than the rest of the ROM community just made me dislike them all the more.

Rather than retracting what they said, they ended up just editing the document to no longer say that they haven't done anything because of their ethics.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
I got a couple of lock-ups (where you have to pull the battery because the phone won't come out of standby). I had a few of those the 2 different times I tried 2.0.6 and 1.0. I even tried turning up my min setcpu speed to something higher than 250mhz in case that was causing it). Though I believe it is something to do with having TempMonitor in the notification bar along with my setcpu profiles (or maybe a combination of those two and some widget that I use?). At least that's my guess, and I also don't think it really had anything actually to do with DM1.0 - otherwise I wouldn't be the only one with that issue.
That's odd. I run tempmonitor in my notifications bar. I also have setcpu to 250 in standby. Been running that way for quite a while now. I have had 4 Droids now and everyone of them has acted different with the roms. I think these phones are tempermental. I did have odd things happen with SM 2.0.6 on my 3rd Droid. It all of the sudden one day went crazy and was opening and closing programs and the screen was flashing on and off repeatedly like a slot machine.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid