PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to davidetkin511
install apps to sdcard?

can it be done?

Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: omni 2 and droid
Carrier: verizon

Dmordarski is just getting started
Re: install apps to sdcard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
can it be done?
No, this is the one major downfall of android so far, allot of the programs place the core program in memory, and access sounds texture, pictures, etc stored on the SD card
Verizon
Old 03-31-2010, 06:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa

There is some work on this. If you are really interested you need to be using the cyanogenmod rom.

I don't like the apps2sd though - at least not until it is built in and done properly. For instance, you don't want the apps writing to the sdcard. At least not all the time - obviously the app needs to write to the sdcard initially, upon updates, and perhaps maybe upon a configuration change. But the writes is what will wear out the sdcard. So as long as the app isn't "running" on the sdcard and doing lots of writes, only then I'd feel good about using it.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It doesn't bother me much like it did with WM. I have 50+ apps installed and the phone is still blazing fast and not giving me any low memory warnings. With WM, I had to dictate where the programs were installed so that the phone would work right. I even had to install programs to free up memory. This is definitely not the case with Android.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

davidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on repdavidetkin511 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

how much memory does 1 app take up on average? how much internal storage is on the droid? how many apps do you think it can hold?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It really depends. An app like "Google Earth" is much larger than an app like say "Not Call Log". Of course 3D graphics in apps such as games like Doom(10mb) are going to take up more space. I'd say you'd have, at most, 3 or 4 of these on your phone and the rest will be performance enhancing smaller apps that take up a dismal amount of space. As far as how many.... I can't really say. I will say that it will hold more than you will ever actually use and still run perfectly fast.
And if you flash a rom such as Adamz or DroidMod, you can customize what is installed at the time of flashing and save a ton of space.
The phone has 256mb of storage space. I just checked my phone's available space and I still have 90mb left with everything on my phone! That's more than most WM phones bare bones.

Last edited by tvandyck7; 03-31-2010 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

I have Raging Thunder 2, and it is a 20mb+ game. But on first run, it moves all the graphic to the sdcard from the phone's memory (20mb's worth).
It needs nothing special to do this, so can't any app just do that already?
Old 03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

how come nobody uses cyanogenmod? it seems awesome
Old 03-31-2010, 08:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidetkin511 View Post
how come nobody uses cyanogenmod? it seems awesome
Lots of people use it. For me, it is not quite up to the ese53/81. Or it is pretty much the same. So without any advantage to using CM, I might as well stick with Moto's build. I figure they must know something.

I think that unless you are on the cutting edge of "tweaking", then the Moto builds are probably what you should be using. But that's what is great about our community. Lots of options.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid