PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Carrier: Verizon

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why you shouldn't be using a task killer on Android.

Here's a post over at geekfor.me that clearly details why you shouldn't be using a task killer.

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-b...-with-android/

The TL;DR:
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when more memory is needed.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when it’s done doing what it needs to do.
  • Android is hard coded to automatically kill a task when you haven’t returned to it in a long time.
  • Most services (while possibly running in the background) use very little memory when not actively doing something.
  • A content provider is only doing something when there is a notification for it to give. Otherwise it uses very little memory.
  • Killing a process when it isn’t ready only causes it to have to reload itself and start from scratch when it’s needed again.
  • Because a task is likely running in the background for a reason, killing it will only cause it to re-spawn as soon as the activity that was using it looks for it again. And it will just have to start over again.
  • Killing certain processes can have undesirable side effects. Not receiving text messages, alarms not going off, and force closes just to name a few.
  • The only true way to prevent something from running at all on your phone would be to uninstall the .apk.
  • Most applications will exit themselves if you get out of it by hitting “back” until it closes rather than hitting the “home” button. But even with hitting home, Android will eventually kill it once it’s been in the background for a while.

Last edited by banden; 03-12-2010 at 12:55 PM.
This post has been thanked 6 times.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Moto Droid/hTC Eris

HemDroid is a n00b
Re: Why you shouldn't be using a task killer on Android.

I don't use a task killer, but I noticed the part you posted doesn't mention battery life. If I am showing someone different games or apps on my phone, wouldn't it use more battery to keep them running in the background after I had finished showing them off? That would be the only reason I would consider a task killer at all.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:32 PM
Droidgeek
Pocket PC: Rooted MotoDroid w/mish mash of ROMs
Threadstarter

banden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuffbanden knows their stuff

I think the jist is that over the long run it won't save battery as the application will either have to restart before picking up where it left off, or it may stall other applications that were using that app and force them to consume resources to figure out what to do without the app running.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

Humpa is keeping up the good workHumpa is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to Humpa

... also the app isn't doing anything, so it isn't using any battery (or not a measurable amount).

Plus, if you want to show off a game or whatever and then not have it running in the background (even though it really isn't doing anytihng, but you just want to "feel" better because windows has ruined us) then just hit the Back button instead of Home when you want to exit it.
Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible!
Carrier: VZW

MrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuffMrGoodCat knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humpa View Post
... also the app isn't doing anything, so it isn't using any battery (or not a measurable amount).

Plus, if you want to show off a game or whatever and then not have it running in the background (even though it really isn't doing anytihng, but you just want to "feel" better because windows has ruined us) then just hit the Back button instead of Home when you want to exit it.
haha yes. damn you winmo! the only reason i used it then was to have a functioning phone, haha. sounds like android does an excellent job of managing apps. does it really not ruin performance? sorry but i have no android experience. i am patiently waiting for the vzw n1, and the more i read about android and hear about the more it seems like i made the right choice by leaving winmo
Old 03-13-2010, 01:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Evo/Epic
Carrier: Sprint

insomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regularinsomniac is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Android can very laggy. There are task managers you dont have to keep running so they dont sit there in the background as a task killer itself and place it as a widget on home screen to get to when you need it. Played with hero a a owner of it for a week and it can get very laggy and the moment which I own with no tak killer can get very laggy as well. There are aspects of android and winmo that are similar. task mangement is a minor resedmblence and the drawer for apps really is an updated start menu. latter part is my opinion though.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

bsweetness is becoming a great contributor

The Droid also has a built-in task manager of sorts where you can kill running apps. You do want to be careful which things you cut off (particularly system stuff), but using it to kill running apps that you don't need running won't hurt anything. It wouldn't be there if it did.
Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

MadSquabbles is just getting started
Why you should use a task killer

sometimes you have apps that just aren't acting right and need a restart. many times pandora, gmail, or other apps just don't respond correctly and need to be quit and restarted.

i quit the task manager also after killing the app(s). no need to keep it persistent. i could use the built in manager but 3rd party managers are easier to use.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Imagio

gt3dan is a n00b

someone please explain this to everyone at verizon. they have their reps telling people this is a necessary download! i wish people would bother to take a little time and learn somethign about their phone!
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 AM
Chillin' with my Geeks!
Pocket PC: Epic 4G & Iphone is my toy :)
Carrier: Sprint/PPCGeeks

GirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGirlGoneGeek should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Banden great article though I wonder if you used this before? I bet you did

For those that don't mind starting over, it's ok. I use the task killer on my phone, of course the WM Diamond, and love it.

Just my opinion and thank you for sharing!

By the way, we sure do miss you all in NC!!!

If you wanna make the world a better place take a look at yourself and then make a change ~Michael Jackson

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid