PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: Verizon

pushdrops is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Droid - contrast / color quality compared to Eris (possible to adjust?)

My friend has an Eris , I have a Droid - it seems as while the display on the Droid is much sharper (the much higher resolution on the Droid explains the sharpness) but the colors on the Eris are much better.

The Droid looks washed out compared to the Eris (blacks are much "darker" on the Eris) - to compare we demoed a few of the same apps (one with a color test pattern , the <colorful> BIC concert lighter) and the Eris had much better color each time - very noticeable (I thought the Droid had a great display until seeing the Eris - now while the text isn't as sharp on the Eris , it makes for a better image <YouTube videos on HQ for instance> than the Droid overall).

The Droid's display is always praised (as one of the best until now that the Nexus One has been released) - but usually this is always stating how clear / sharp the display seems - not the color quality. I finally did come across one review that preferred the Eris over the Droid & one reason they stated "the Eris has better contrast settings stock".

So I've been trying to find a way to adjust the contrast of the Droid (not just brightness) but I can't find any contrast / color settings - is there a way to adjust the contrast of the Droid's display?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio, Moto Droid, Palm Pixi Plus
Carrier: VZW

obxKevin is becoming a great contributor
Re: Droid - contrast / color quality compared to Eris (possible to adjust?)

That's funny you stated that. I'm coming from the HTC Imagio and I feel the same way. The Imagio had a much more vibrant screen, the colors just popped. The Droid may have better resolution but that doesn't make it the best display. Even my pictures that I imported to the Droid from my Imagio look washed out.

Would like to see a contrast adjustment also, thanks for bringing this up.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Omnia i910

MrCapcom is becoming a great contributor

Is this with the auto brightness turned off? because I thought the same way till I turned the auto brightness off and it looks fantastic
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

DPrynce is a n00b

I too have noticed that the auto seems to wash things out. Even with auto turned off, it does still need some contrast adjustments so hopefully someone knows of some way to do this. I am finding more reasons to get digging more into programming.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

When comparing my Droid with my old Omnia I notice that the Droid has a distinct yellow coloring. Whites on the Omnia were really white, but whites on the Droid are a little yellower. It's kind of "gentler" on my eyes though, so I don't know what to think of it. I guess it's a trade-off I'm willing to make to enjoy the high resolution of the Droid.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: DROID

jrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good workjrodizzkool01 is keeping up the good work

I find that turning off the Auto Backlight does make the screen look nicer but I agree with you. The screen is very clear but colors and as vivid as even my old Touch Pro. Maybe it's something with capacitive screens? When I went to the Verizon store, the saturation and contrast of the resistive screens of the Imagio and Omnia 2 blew away the capacitive ones of the Droid, Eris, and Storm. Strange though since the Imagio, Omnia 2, Eris, and Storm have 65,000 color screens while the Droid's is 16 million.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid 2

tvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartvandyck7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdherd View Post
When comparing my Droid with my old Omnia I notice that the Droid has a distinct yellow coloring. Whites on the Omnia were really white, but whites on the Droid are a little yellower. It's kind of "gentler" on my eyes though, so I don't know what to think of it. I guess it's a trade-off I'm willing to make to enjoy the high resolution of the Droid.
You should compare the white of the Droid to that of the iPhone 3GS. I put my Droid up next to one and the droid looked snow white compared to the iPhone. I would definately rather have the resolution of the Droid. My Omnia1 screen looks horrible compared to my Droid. It even make my new iPod look bad.

I just wish that it had the perfectly smooth scrolling that Apple has. Don't get me wrong, the Droid's scrolling is good, but seems choppy when compared to Apple products. Bout the only thing good I can say about them.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:13 PM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

That (the choppiness) can be resolved with software optimization. Give it time.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker

nerdherd is keeping up the good worknerdherd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrynalyne View Post
That (the choppiness) can be resolved with software optimization. Give it time.
I agree that the scrolling isn't very optimized. Honestly, I wish they would stop changing things for a while and just make some updates to basic functionality, like making the scrolling work perfectly, adding basic support for things like downloading any file type from both the browser and through Gmail, etc. I'm all for UI updates, but I'd prefer perfecting what's already there first before adding totally new things.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:04 AM
The Pusher
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

Adrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the communityAdrynalyne is a trusted member of the community

As I understand, the attachment stuff in Gmail is to be included in an update. Whether thats a maintence release, or 2.1, or both rolled into one, I don't know.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid