PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Mount Droid to a PS3?

I happened to be playing Pandora from my Droid through my home receiver and I wondered if the Droid could be powered by the USB port on my Playstation 3. Well I plugged it in and it looks like it's charging via the PS3 USB port just like the PC's port.

Then I wondered what would happen if I mounted the sdcard on the Droid. Would the PS3 see the music and pictures stored on the phone just like plugging in a thumb drive into the USB.

Right away the PS3 menu noticed the new device and showed "USB Device (A855)"!

So I thought it might work however the PS3 Photo app then shows "Digital Camera Images" under the device but no pictures appear. Similarly, the Music and Video apps show the device but can't find any files within.

I guess I hoped the mounted sdcard would work just like a USB thumb drive plugged into the PS3. Anybody know why it's not working as such?
Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Mount Droid to a PS3?

have you tried to place them in the root of your storage card and not in folders? that may make a difference on how it searches and picks up the files for use.... also take a look at the format of the videos especially. the ps3 wont play all formats of videos and music... so if your mp4 or something it doesnt support you would have to convert over to the other.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Threadstarter

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by D/\SH View Post
have you tried to place them in the root of your storage card and not in folders? that may make a difference on how it searches and picks up the files for use.... also take a look at the format of the videos especially. the ps3 wont play all formats of videos and music... so if your mp4 or something it doesnt support you would have to convert over to the other.

Good thought. I figured early on that the video would be trouble so I've concentrated on pictures and MP3s. I copied a picture to the sdcard's root and no luck. I also tried the DCIM folder under the root as if it was a camera flash card but nothing yet.

I think I'll play around a bit more with other types of USB storage (such as camera cards) and see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: I did just try plugging my digital camera card into the PS3 using a USB reader and it acts the same as the mounted Droid so I guess this is not a Droid issue and I need to learn more about the PS3.

EDIT2: Sorry to use up a thread. I found that the PS3 uses a specific directory structure:

>>>Create a folder system identical to that on the Playstation 3 by creating folders labeled "Picture" (not Photo), "Music", "Video" and "Game".<<<

I copied a picture to a newly created Picture folder and the remounted and the PS3 found it. Case closed.

Last edited by JonV; 12-24-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:50 AM
That guy with the axe
Pocket PC: MotoDroid

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

On the PS3 menu you have to push triangle on the folder with the movies/pics and choose "show all"

My primary waste of time and money http://www.cardomain.com/id/FireDiverZ28
Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You just gotta chuck the PS3 out the window and get a 360!

DISCLAIMER: COMMENT MADE IN INTEREST OF HUMOR, NO POINT IN STARTING FLAME WAR/E-P*NIS MEASURING CONTEST
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Old 12-28-2009, 01:59 AM
That guy with the axe

breakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on repbreakmyfootoff is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjam View Post
You just gotta chuck the PS3 out the window and get a 360!

DISCLAIMER: COMMENT MADE IN INTEREST OF HUMOR, NO POINT IN STARTING FLAME WAR/E-P*NIS MEASURING CONTEST
I've got both, but I like the PS3 better
Old 12-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Zombway: Eat Flesh
Pocket PC: Droid
Carrier: VZW

z0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIPz0mbiexx is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff View Post
I've got both, but I like the PS3 better
i got all three i like my Droid best.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 AM
That guy with the axe

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0mbiexx View Post
i got all three i like my Droid best.
win

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid