PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2.2 OTA vs leaked version

I have been rooted (so I could have free wireless tethering) & running the leaked 2.2 since the day it came out many weeks ago.

My system is loaded with apps, using LauncherPro Plus & runs awesome (it is smooth, fast as hell & has never frozen up once).

I can't see a single reason to switch to the OTA 2.2 but maybe I'm missing something.

I helped a co-worker update his stock DroidX to the OTA update today & after playing with his system & mine extensively they seem virtually identical.

~John
Old 09-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff
Re: 2.2 OTA vs leaked version

I wouldn't mess around with it then if I were you. Here's a couple of things I noticed...

Free addition of QuickOffice.
Free addition of more VZ Bloatware.
270 rotation.
Flash 10.
New skin on the Swype Keyboard.
New camera software.
Access to new apps (2.2) in the market.

I am sure there is more than this. Motorola posted an official change log too.

Are you having any market problems on that leaked version? I hear a lot of complaining about that.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Threadstarter

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepolishguy View Post
I wouldn't mess around with it then if I were you. Here's a couple of things I noticed...

Free addition of QuickOffice.
Free addition of more VZ Bloatware.
270 rotation.
Flash 10.
New skin on the Swype Keyboard.
New camera software.
Access to new apps (2.2) in the market.
I have all that stuff with the leaked version & the market works exactly the same as it did in 2.1 for me, except it has that "update all" option.

I had planned all along to just use the leaked version until the OTA came out, then restore 2.1 & update it. At this point, I don't see any reason to do that however. It wouldn't really be too hard as I have all my apps etc backed up with Titanium, but I just don't see any reason to even bother.

I bought the phone on day 1 when they became available, then rooted it shortly after that. I installed the leaked 2.2 the day it came out & it has been hands down the best phone I have ever owned (I loved my highly modified TouchPro 2, but this has that beaten by miles). I thought the 2.2 might mess up it being rooted, but it didn't affect that at all & the system runs so perfectly it continues to amaze me.

To me, this is really the perfect phone. There is not a single thing I wish Motorola had done differently at this point, & I have never had a new PPC before that I could say that about (my first PPC was an XV6700)

~John
Old 09-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Then I wouldn't mess around with it. If you like to mod your phone - then you don't want the OTA bc all the work they are doing right now is base on the leak. So with the OTA you can root and get some themes and I think that is about it.

But leak or OTA - we still got no custom kernels so whatever we got - it is gong to be essentially the same.

So yeah - I wouldn't worry about the OTA.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X