PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

reigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuffreigndropz knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
E-Fuse - Self Destruct

Man...I don't even know if I believe this but who knows.....supposedly there is some kind of fuse inside the Droid X that will brick your phone if you try to mod it at all. Below is a copy of the article and the source. This really will stop me from going to the Droid X.....unless some of the brilliant minds here figure out how to bypass this.....which I'm sure is inevitable!

Thing that the Android platform is all about freedom and the ability to do whatever you want with your device once you’ve bought it? Think again! Motorola’s Droid X contains a feature that bricks the handset if you try to modify the bootloader.
This is pretty scary stuff, and goes counter to what the Android platform is all about:
The eFuse is coded with information that it either looks for or is passed to it from the bootloader. The bootloader is loaded with information it looks for when it begins the boot-up process. (I have seen the sbf file look for a certain bootloader when it begins so its safe to assume that this is the process).
Once the the eFuse verifies that the information it is looking for or that has been passed through to it by the bootloader is correct then the boot process continues. What type of information is written to the bootloader? So far i’ve been able to verify that the firmware information (what we call ROMS), the kernel information, and the bootloader version.
If the eFuse failes to verify this information then the eFuse receives a command to “blow the fuse” or “trip the fuse”. This results in the booting process becoming corrupted and resulting in a permanent bricking of the Phone. This FailSafe is activated anytime the bootloader is tampered with or any of the above three parts of the phone has been tampered with.
The eFuse can be repaired, but only by Motorola, so if you trip it, it’s a case of sending your handset back for repair.
Bottom line, the freedoms offered by Android go counter to the locked handsets that service providers are happy with. Based on this, the Droid X just became a no-buy for those who like to tinker with their handsets.

Source:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/m...-destruct/8906
Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

lightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stufflightninjay knows their stuff
Re: E-Fuse - Self Destruct

I was quite literally just about to post this citing this article

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/...try-to-mod-it/

Basically from what I've read, it does a bootloader check, and if the software notices that the bootloader has been tampered with, it throws the phone into an eternal booting loop, essentially perma-bricking the phone.

This has the potential to severely deter developers and hackers from cracking this phone due to the sheer fact that it would require permanently destroying multiple phones before coming up with a viable solution for unlocking/rooting.

I don't know about you folks, but I think I'll be pretty happy with my rooted Droid Incredible once it arrives tomorrow and I have a bit of time to tinker with it.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:28 AM
The EVO Guru
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

brownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on repbrownhornet is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

Owned
Old 07-15-2010, 10:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID
Carrier: Verizon

brandogg is keeping up the good workbrandogg is keeping up the good work

This is what Microsoft does with the Xbox 360 to close exploits - they don't brick consoles (that's just wrong), but it's how they closed the JTAG exploit (and a couple others in the past, IIRC) last year.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

There will always be a way around it folks
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

People are already starting to debunk this theory. Seems there is an eFuse on the Droid also. Last time I checked I am able to change everything on it with out "blowing" it up.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laos101 View Post
There will always be a way around it folks
+1, week tops. lol
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 AM
The PPCG CR Guy!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Laos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIPLaos101 is a VIP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Laos101

Android is an open source, they can't stop us from ROOTing it, period. It's physically impossible. That's designed probably to protect Motorola's content
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid

ronaldheld is just getting started

The phone still may be rooted, but with no capacities for custom ROMs. time will tell.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:08 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I think the reason why motorola is doing it is for the revenue.. remember how google is paying % of the money for the adwords and the market purchases...well if it wasn't locked down and you can flash custom roms...they would most likely loose commission :/...

Getting past the eFuse may not be hard (probably by sending fake information about the rom version and etc)...but breaking the encryption on the other hand will prove a challenge as it is similar to the milestone I read..which has yet to be broken for custom roms.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)

PPCGeeks > Android > Android Motorola Devices > Moto Droid X