PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: verizon

katpeeler is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to disable Data??

Ive searched around in here and wondering if anyone LATELY has tried to do this (since the posts I found were'nt helpful and old).
Im new to the "Smart Phone" world so easy to understand words would be helpful. I have tried to turn the data connection off thru the settings but it will re-connect after awhile. I dont have a unlimited Data plan and this thing is killing me. I like the phone other than that. PLEASE HELP....Thanx
Old 09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Suuuper Geeenius
Pocket PC: hTc RhodiumW (Touch Pro2)
Carrier: Sprint

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to horndoctor
Re: How to disable Data??

If you go into the email setup and remove your email accounts or even disable auto send/recieve then there would be no reason for your device to be connecting or using data. It would then not connect automatically. It will however connect if you try to check email or open a web browser or use gps or use any other app that requires a data connection. So if you disable email and don't use any of those apps then basically no data.I'm curious why you got this device if you planned on not using the data connection. Seems like you should just get a regular phone and not a pocket pc. On Sprint unlimited data is just $15 a month. But, if you do as I described you will essentially turn off data.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: Verizon

ScratchyPDX is just getting started

- Start|Settings|Connections
- Manage Existing Connections
- General tab
- Delete settings
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

katpeeler is a n00b

Thanx....I did both of your suggestions. Ill keep an eye on it to see if it helps. Now if I decide to use the Data (during off peak hours) will I still be able to or do I have to "undo" these things?? To answer your question as of why I have a smart phone and dont want the Data Plan, is that my Razor bit the dust and a friend of mine sold me his old HTC Touch for cheap. I like the smart phones better (like the programs on them like storing music and making my own ring towns) but dont have a use for checking email or getting on the internet all the time.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

horndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the communityhorndoctor is a trusted member of the community

If you did just what I recommended then I would say yes. If you did what the other user said to do you will probably have to reenter the settings that you deleted. That is why I did not recommend doing that. Also, any time you connect and use data you will be charged per kb if you don't have a data plan. It doesn't matter what time you connect.
Old 09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
R.I.P. B & Gary. 12/20/11
Pocket PC: JB 32GB iPhone 4 w/ 5.0.1
Carrier: VZW

Batman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

heres somethin you can download that completely blocks data...
http://htcdriver.com/index.php?page=nodata
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

katpeeler is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by horndoctor View Post
If you did just what I recommended then I would say yes. If you did what the other user said to do you will probably have to reenter the settings that you deleted. That is why I did not recommend doing that. Also, any time you connect and use data you will be charged per kb if you don't have a data plan. It doesn't matter what time you connect.
Well since I dont want to COMPLETELY block the Date I might undo the other users suggestion. Funny but when I went to put the Touch online with my provider (Altell at the time) the representative said that when I used the Data it would come off my minute package. And so far that is what my bill is reflecting...Im being charged minutes...Not to say that you're wrong...But since the Verizon buy out there is not telling what they are doing....

Since doing what yall told me the little arrrow symbols next to my signal meter are not showing up...just my antanea symbol.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Yep, that's cause you disabled data so no workie until you reenable.Yeah, Altell and Verizon may be different. I have Sprint.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

katpeeler is a n00b

Thanx horndoctor...If it keeps up you have saved me some money....Wish I could buy ya a beer..
Old 09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Suuuper Geeenius

Your Welcome!Pressing Thanks is just as good!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue