PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 11:21 PM
Lurker

CKhaleel is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Internet connection via USB?

Hey, is there a way I can get an internet connection for my HTC Touch via a USB connection to my PC? It's a stupid question, but thanks in advance.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:34 PM
My ROMS On My Site
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Verizon

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP
Re: Internet connection via USB?

Yes. you need to have a an ActiveSync connection via Bluetooth. If your computer does not have a bluetooth connection, buy a doggle on eBay for $7.

If you enjoy my work or I have helped you out, and you want to send some love my way... it's appreciated but not required.
Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

Snowden is becoming a great contributor

I get Internet through my USB cable as soon as I hook my phone up to the PC. Just to make sure my phone wasn't using Verizon's data network without me knowing, I also installed the NoData .cab to block data network connections.

-Snowden
Old 08-09-2009, 02:07 AM
My ROMS On My Site

PDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIPPDAPhoneJunkie is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden View Post
I get Internet through my USB cable as soon as I hook my phone up to the PC. Just to make sure my phone wasn't using Verizon's data network without me knowing, I also installed the NoData .cab to block data network connections.

-Snowden
Yeah, the Bluetooth dongle would simply be connecting to ActiveSync like you do with a cable, only it's wireless so it makes it more like WiFi.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

CKhaleel is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowden View Post

-Snowden
Really? Because when I hook up my phone to my PC it always attempts to connect via Sprint...
Old 08-09-2009, 10:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch WM6.5
Carrier: Sprint

acontrasto is keeping up the good workacontrasto is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Skype™ to acontrasto

I'm pretty sure your computer acts as a gateway for your phone when you connect it via activesync. In other words, activesync automatically lets you use the internet connection that your computer uses. If this is not your case, then you may not have activesync set up correctly.

EDIT: I've just run a simple test to confirm this. I put my phone into flight mode to turn off the cell radio. Then I plugged my phone into my computer via usb. Then I attempted to navigate to a website in mobile IE. The page loaded successfully without dialing a wireless data connection. At the moment, I'm on a Windows Server 2003 box with activesync 4.5, but I can also confirm that this works on Vista Ultimate with WMDC (windows mobile device center).

Last edited by acontrasto; 08-09-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:32 AM
My ROMS On My Site

Yeah, I just bought on of these, http://cgi.ebay.com/MICRO-MINI-USB-B...d=p3286.c0.m14 I spent afew more bucks for it to come from here in the US rather than China. My desktop does not have built-in bluetooth to I am going to try this. Next best thing to WiFi...
Old 08-10-2009, 03:26 AM
R.I.P. B & Gary. 12/20/11
Pocket PC: JB 32GB iPhone 4 w/ 5.0.1
Carrier: VZW

Batman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on repBatman is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ok, a more simple answer, yes you need activesync. if you have a custom rom, when you plug in you usb cable it should ask you if you want to connect to activesync or internet sharing, select internet sharing

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue