PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 05:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

labens is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ICS Control (Internet Sharing) with Bluetooth PAN

I posted this over at XDA, but thought it would be useful here as well. I haven't seen
much mention of ICS Control for Internet Sharing, especially on phones without WiFi.

If you aren't familiar with ICS, it's kind of a precursor to WMWiFiRouter. I like this because it doesn't use Internet Connection Sharing, and thus doesn't require any tethering hacks to avoid charges. You can find it at ICS Control.
I saw a few post saying ICS Control did not work with Bluetooth PAN and wanted to post to say that I have this working. I'm typing this post from a netbook running Windows XP connected to my HTC Vogue through a BT PAN connection.

Here's what I needed to do (this should apply to most WM6 phones):

From WM:

1) Download the WM6BTPAN.EXE from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?p=1571776 or directly from http://www.winmobiletech.com/sekalaiset/wm6btpan.zip.
2) Extract the file to where ever you like, I put it under Program Files.
3) Launch WM6BTPAN.EXE (note: it give no feedback, but will be running)
4) Configure your WM "Bluetooth PAN Drive" to use a static address (Start -> Settings -> Network Cards). I used 192.168.0.1
5) Start ICS Control and configure the Private Interface as Bluetooh, BTPAN1 for me. I unchecked "Set Private IP" and set the address as 192.168.0.1. I also unchecked "DHCP Server" as I could not get DHCP to work.

From Windows XP:

1) Pair the devices and connect the PAN. Note: Make sure you are set up as a client, not a host (for Toshiba stack, it was unchecking "PAN Networking Service" under option). Note: If WM6BTPAN.EXE is not running on WM, you will get a connection denied error.
2) Modify the PAN adapter to use a static address and DNS. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections. Open the "Bluetooth Person Area Network" device. You may need to change to the Details view and look under the "Device Name" column to determine which adapter to use. Once open, select Properties. In the window that opens, scroll down to "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)", click on it, and select Properties. Set a static address like this:
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Prefered DNS Server: 208.67.222.222
Alternate DNS Server: 208.67.220.220
The Default gateway should be the static address you set on WM. The DNS servers can be any public DNS servers (I prefer the ones at OpenDNS.com)/
3) Save the settings.
4) Test the connection. Open a browser and go.

Some troubleshooting steps:

1) If browsing doesn't work, make sure the phone's data connection is active.
2) Verify the PAN is active by pinging the phone IP address from a command prompt. Start -> Run -> CMD.EXE -> PING 192.168.0.1
3) If you can ping the phone, try pinging your DNS server. If that doesn't work, try pinging your phone's external IP Address (you should see this under ICS Control if you refresh and click on the drop down for Public Interface, it should be after Cellular Line).
4) If you can't ping the Cellular Line, then ICS Control probably is not active. I've had to click Start ICS multiple times for it to work.
5) If you can ping the Cellular Line, then most likely your DNS settings are not correct. If you used something other than the one in the example above, give these a try.
5) If it's still not working, I'm out of suggestions.

Good luck. Let me know if you found this useful and if you were able to get it to work.

Last edited by labens; 05-26-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added "Internet Sharing" to Title
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Orange Israel

skamin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ICS Control (Internet Sharing) with Bluetooth PAN

Works like a charm! Thank you so much!! I've been looking for a solution for so long, I can't believe I haven't seen this post until today.
BT PAN with Internet Sharing worked fine with my previous ROM (HTC Touch Pro WM6.1 stock ROM), but ever since I installed EnergyROM (WM6.5), I haven't been able to get it to work.
Thanks again!
- Shay
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue