PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH
Carrier: sprint

pjrey is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS locating requiring network access...

does anyone have or know of a simple free PPC GPS program to test on my phone... i have MYMOTION and have used live search, but work, but both will not lock into satellites unless there is a phone signal first (where i am for the summer has NO cell phone service (in my room) outside and in our town there is)

with my motion i see about 6-10 satellites... but it will NOT lock in UNLESS i have cell phone service

i want a program that will allow me to connect even in airplane mode...

(the thing is, when i do get a lock in by connecting... i can then use the satellites anywhere, service or no service, but in order to get the first lock in, i must be in a serviced location...)
anyone else experiencing this?
try restarting your phone in AIRPLANE mode... and see if you can get a lock while in airplane mode...

again, i can get a lock in airplane mode, if i have FIRST est. a connection...
first do a soft reset then try!

thanks a bunch!
pj

Last edited by pjrey; 07-02-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: SGH-T959D leaked 'Official' froyo
Carrier: Telus

Rabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuffRabid_Gypsy knows their stuff
Re: GPS locating requiring network access...

The Vogue works on an aGPS (a=assisted), the phone has to have service to figure out exactly where the satellites are in the sky, it's not smart enough to get a perfect lock on its own.

ROM: DarkRoot
Old 07-03-2008, 02:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent

That, and most GPS software takes the coordinates from your GPS chip, and maps it using your data connection to a map server. If you want to be independant of a data connection, you need to find GPS software that stores all of the map data locally on your SD card. Usually these are the types of software you have to actually pay for (i.e. garmin, tom-tom, etc.) If you just want to see your coordinates, there's a bunch of free software that will do the trick. I have the Mogul, so I don't know if this works for you, but I open my dialer and press ##33284# and select GPS to see my coordinates.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid_Gypsy View Post
The Vogue works on an aGPS (a=assisted), the phone has to have service to figure out exactly where the satellites are in the sky, it's not smart enough to get a perfect lock on its own.
Not quite correct. It WILL use aGPS if you HAVE signal. however, it's quite capable of NOT requiring it. I've been in a completely dead area with NO useable signal and with the phone in "airplane" mode and it'll still get sats.

KEY POINT here is all my map data is on my storage card, I don't need to stream map files. IF you don't have a "real" gps app and it streams map files, you ABSOLUTELY need data.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch

chipjumper is a n00b

I gotta pop this question here because I can't find any recent information after searching for a couple hours:

I am new user to the Sprint Touch. I instantly upgraded Sprint's 6.1 upgrade. How do I utilize the GPS with Google Maps or anything? When in Google Maps, it shows "seeking GPS satellites (0)..." forever.

If I use an external app, will it pull the GPS data automatically from the phone?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

i dial ##33284# and all i see is N/A under GPS...
so... not really the case....
it seems you need to have signal first... just once, then for as long as the phone is not turned off/reset, it will work... but mine needs connection if its from a fresh boot...

i have tried over and over
as soon as i get service, then the N/A are populated...
until then, its blank....

pj
Old 07-04-2008, 08:37 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch CDMA

brand is becoming a great contributor

I saw a thread that got totally out of hand about this.

1) Test to prove aGPS doesn't use your cellular radio (or data over that radio)
Turn off your radio (turn on airplane mode), then use GPS (like the google maps, field test won't start without the cell radio on). It works = aGPS doesn't use cellular radio for data.

2) A little info on GPSID on Windows Mobile and the nature of aGPS on the Vogue
The GPS uses the Windows Mobile GPSID, which is configured on COM4 by default. The nature of this is that it does have a cache of NMEA data, but this data is being updated with the radio off.
The GPS must be brought into a cold start.

3) Test to prove that aGPS is being used to get or make the NMEA data accurate enough for software
Shut off your Location, Settings> Phone> Services> Location Settings> Get Settings...

aGPS uses it's own radio chipset to receive data from an aGPS server.

4) Conclusion
aGPS doesn't require a cellular connection, but does require a connection to an aGPS server (of course), and communicates with this aGPS server over a chipset which is independent from the cellular radio chipset.

Last edited by brand; 03-06-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: wikified
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thanks for what?
people say you dont need a connection, others say you do... i do... from a cold start, you need a tower.. but only once, then i work just fine from there on out... why is that?
that sucks... there is satellites everywhere, but not cell towers... limiting GPS big time!

p
Old 07-05-2008, 09:19 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch CDMA

brand is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrey View Post
thanks for what?
people say you dont need a connection, others say you do... i do... from a cold start, you need a tower.. but only once, then i work just fine from there on out... why is that?
that sucks... there is satellites everywhere, but not cell towers... limiting GPS big time!

p
Thanks for spending my time doing obvious testing because you obviously didn't want to, obviously.

Okay... so that's the way it works:

You restart your phone with aGPS off, turn off your cellular radio, turn on aGPS and you get nothing?

I'd test it, but you know.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

brand, does it lock for you with a fresh startup with phone in airplane mode? it wont for me, i have to turn phone antenna on... then i get a lock in about 15 seconds...
doesnt really matter, just kinda curious as to why this is...
when i get a lock, i get about 12 satallites... im wondering why it cant just connect to one of the satellites... why it needs the phone tower at all (its not triangulation, there is barely even service where i am... )im in the sticks for the summer

p
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue