PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 05:49 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: VX6900 (Touch)
Carrier: Verizon

Magicality is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS locating requiring network access...

Was curious when you posted this, and I did experience the same behavior you describe... however I did change a couple registry settings for it to actually lock.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\HTC\SUPL AGPS

EnableAGPS = 0
EnableGPSSmartMode = 0
GPSMode = 1

This will work on my VX6900 (Verizon Touch) with radio 3.37.15 ... will get locks in airplane mode from fresh boot. I used HTC GPS tool to clear memory/cold start the GPS, and it took a solid 2-3 minutes to get a lock.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

pjrey is just getting started

thats what im talking about!!! great!! thank you magicality!! that worked PERFECT!!!! how/where did you find that?? i wonder what the different modes are.. and smart gps? thanks, works great! i get locks FAST, and with no service! thank you!!! pj
Old 07-05-2008, 06:56 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjrey View Post
thats what im talking about!!! great!! thank you magicality!! that worked PERFECT!!!! how/where did you find that?? i wonder what the different modes are.. and smart gps? thanks, works great! i get locks FAST, and with no service! thank you!!! pj
AGPS means it is using cellphone towers...by setting that one to 0 you disable that mode (it would be faster with it)...GPSSmartMode also uses your data connection to find sattelites faster.

GPSMode is detailed in some other threads...1 will be GPS only (what you need in this case), 2 will be Hybrid GPS/AGPS, while 4 should be AGPS only.

I discovered those settings (by reading on forums and trial & error) since I am on Verizon and AGPS will not work correctly for verizon (at least not for me), so those settings actually "speed up" my GPS by telling the phone to not even attempt to use AGPS.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

pjrey is just getting started

thanks for posting back what is more precise? aGPS or GPS...? i am getting very fast locks now! 10-20 seconds im locked onto 8 satellites... pj
Old 07-05-2008, 07:18 PM
N00b

Quote:
thanks for posting back what is more precise? aGPS or GPS...? i am getting very fast locks now! 10-20 seconds im locked onto 8 satellites... pj
GPS is much more accurate then AGPS. In turn, AGPS is MUCH faster then GPS. That's why the default setting is hybrid mode...to use both.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

Just so you all know. Vouge is a stand alone gps device. It supports a-gps. In which Sprint activated with the 2nd leaked rom. I already talked to Htc about this thru email. First leaked rom just enabled true standalone gps. Thats why out the box it took a very long time to lock to a satellite. Now, with the 2nd leaked rom a-gps was implemented and now on average most of us are getting sat locks in under 30 secondS.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:10 PM
N00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Just so you all know. Vouge is a stand alone gps device. It supports a-gps. In which Sprint activated with the 2nd leaked rom. I already talked to Htc about this thru email. First leaked rom just enabled true standalone gps. Thats why out the box it took a very long time to lock to a satellite. Now, with the 2nd leaked rom a-gps was implemented and now on average most of us are getting sat locks in under 30 secondS.
Kind of correct. the Vogue does have a standalone GPS chip of course.

However, ALL vogues (YES ALL! even the ones with a 1.x radio) have the ability and drivers to utilize a-GPS!! As a matter of fact, all phones sold since the end of 2003 (even regular dumb phones), are REQUIRED to have a-GPS support for e911 services.

The only thing the ROM's added is first, unlocking of the standalone GPS, and second, utilizing the already existing aGPS connection.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent

Quote:
i dial ##33284# and all i see is N/A under GPS...
so... not really the case....
it seems you need to have signal first... just once, then for as long as the phone is not turned off/reset, it will work... but mine needs connection if its from a fresh boot...

i have tried over and over
as soon as i get service, then the N/A are populated...
until then, its blank....

pj
Sometimes you have to have a program demand GPS from your phone before it will turn on the GPS chip. Open up google maps, windows live, or something else that uses gps and you will see actual data.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

arparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regulararparent is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to arparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicality View Post
Kind of correct. the Vogue does have a standalone GPS chip of course.

However, ALL vogues (YES ALL! even the ones with a 1.x radio) have the ability and drivers to utilize a-GPS!! As a matter of fact, all phones sold since the end of 2003 (even regular dumb phones), are REQUIRED to have a-GPS support for e911 services.

The only thing the ROM's added is first, unlocking of the standalone GPS, and second, utilizing the already existing aGPS connection.
Agreed. Schap's Advanced Configuration has the ability to enable or disbale aGPS. The nice thing about it is that if you loose a gps satellite momentarily, the 'a' will kick in for a few seconds until you get a lock again.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community

You know, Should it really be called a-gps? I thought a-gps is really not gps but a tower based gps. What the current iphone has. I guess since we are getting sat data thru a server to get faster locks does count as a-gps.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue