PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:08 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (6900)
Carrier: Sprint

davidjospehman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to davidjospehman Send a message via Yahoo to davidjospehman
Exclamation Internet Sharing With Ethernet Port

I do not have Broadband internet. I got the Touch because the Internet Sharing option with Sprint PCS if free on my account. I what to share my Sprint EVDO connection with my Xbox360. Heres my setup...

1:HTC Touch in Internet Sharing mode via USB. IPv4:192.168.0.1 no DG
2:When trying to share connection to Ethernet port Windows want the IPv4 of the Ethernet port to be 192.168.0.1. Windows give this error...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241769
Error 783: Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. The LAN connection selected as the private network is either not present, or is disconnected from the network. Please ensure that the LAN adapter is connected before enabling Internet Connection Sharing.

I looked up this Error. It states that Windows wants the Ethernet port to be 19.168.0.1 and something else is using that IP already. The Touch uses that IP and I don't know how to change it or change the IP that Windows wants to use. Please Help!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

thejinx0r is just getting started
Re: Internet Sharing With Ethernet Port

First, I think you do need an activesync for ICS to work.
Second, even if you did get it to work, the Touch does not provide a "broadband" connection.

Maybe it's just my area, but I can only download at about 50kb/s. So, no it's no where near traditional band connections. So even if it did work, you would lag really badly. And what's even worst is the latency (or so from what I understand), so you would lag doubly.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC 6950 -Diamond-

storino03 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to storino03

The Touch supports 1x, EVDO Rev 0, and EVDO Rev A, so yes it is very much in the broadband category with EVDO.

Not sure if you can do ICS without being connected to a laptop though. Maybe if you had wifi.

--James
Old 03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch by HTCâ„¢

joe3789 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
The Touch supports 1x, EVDO Rev 0, and EVDO Rev A, so yes it is very much in the broadband category with EVDO.

Not sure if you can do ICS without being connected to a laptop though. Maybe if you had wifi.

--James
Sprint Touch users, do not get your hopes up yet. EVDO Rev A has not been activated for Sprint Touch users just yet.

"Currently, Sprint plans to upgrade the Touch by HTC to support EV-DO Rev. A speeds later this year," Sprint's Amy Schiska-Lombard said. "We have not announced a specific time frame for this upgrade."

The CDMA-based Sprint Touch is not WiFi capable, so ICS is only operational when tethered or connected via bluetooth, if one is savvy enough to get that all worked out. Can't wait for Rev. A for the Touch, though.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:20 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

corys00 is a n00b

Just connect your laptop to the net through ICS. Then you want to plug the xbox into the ethernet jack. Then go into network connections and you'll want to bridge the two connections and congrats, xbox live.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch - Sprint

the_smurf is a n00b

The latency in a Rev. 0 device is far too high to use the xbox live service.

Averaged over small lengths of time (60 seconds), the latency is as bad, if not worse, than that of a dial up internet connection.

Xbox live limits connections to low latency broadband connections. (That includes dial up)

Rev 0 is good for downloading PDF's and web pages with low file counts, but wait to try Rev A after the update or buy a "pringles can antenna" and leech off of an unsecured network.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

jlaudio is a n00b

Sprint PCS is now just Sprint. I have never seen internet sharing for free on any account. I know there are hacks for this to work is that what you are referring to?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue