PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2007, 08:02 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: diamond
Carrier: sprint

meiagain is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch ROM Update Coming?! What specific features? Rev A, GPS, Wifi,

If anybody know any specifics regarding my questions below, please do reply. If any Sprint insiders are reading, definitely pleeeeease reply

(1)WHEN IS ROM UPDATE COMING?
They said end of 2007, now says Jan 08 and some say sometime Q1 and even mid-08

(2)WILL GPS BE ENABLED?
No string attached GPS is my #1 wish, although I doubt Sprint ever be so generous. I am thinking Sprint may enable GPS conditionally (maybe tied to Sprint's own GPS software/subscription or something, like the current Sprint Navigate thing). I have TomTom 6 software and U.S. maps, and currently use its Advanced Planning feature for route planning. Just imagine GPSing on Touch. It would be awesome. I extremely hate carrying multiple devices in pockets. So I consolidate everything on the Touch: MP3 player (PocketMusic), all PDA functions, Maps, etc.

(3)Rev AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Damn, Sprint even posted explicitly in their Touch description months ago that Rev A will be added end 2007.

(4)Wifi isn't a main concern to me. When you do simple web surfing stuff, you definitely do not need Wifi. But when I am IN my house or offfice where EVDO reception becomes pretty bad, watching SprintTV is pain in the *****. Wifi at this time would be a champion.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: not
Carrier: sPriNt

codyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIPcodyppc is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to codyppc
no wifi, but rev a and gps. maybe some fixes as well.

when ... 2008 ... maybe

EDIT... added link below. it shows the gps coming 1q 2008. sprint business site

https://shopbiz.sprint.com/popup_pro...&bundleID=2256

Last edited by codyppc; 12-22-2007 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

meiagain is a n00b
Sprint is freaking stupid. How can they roll out Mogul ROM update first while keeping Touch months later? They don't know a thing about priority in customer service. Just look at Amazon.com Mogul is FAR and Touch $250. They should take care of higher-end customers first and keep them happy first, regardless of the difference of phone launch date

Last edited by meiagain; 12-22-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Minarets is a n00b
for the newb that i am, can someone please enlighten me on "Rev A" i see so often posted about?

thanks
Old 12-22-2007, 09:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: pre, diamond

kellybrf is becoming a great contributor
i believe youre thinking of the mogul. sprint has never officially said anything about a touch rom update

rev a ups the max download speed from 2.45Mbps to 3.1, but more importantly brings the max upload from 153kbps to 1.8Mbps. realistically expect to see download speeds between 1-1.5Mbps and upload speeds of 300-500kbps. the aircards have had it for a while, but the mogul, touch and centro are the first handsets to include it. however, none of them have it at launch (apparently it doesnt play nicely with winmo6, not sure why the centro is missing it) but they should all have it unlocked via a future firmware upgrade.

Last edited by kellybrf; 12-22-2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:04 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

meiagain is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minarets View Post
for the newb that i am, can someone please enlighten me on "Rev A" i see so often posted about?

thanks
rev A is EVDO Revision A. Basically it is a faster version of EVDO. It is very useful for network intensive applications, like SprintTV

EVDO now covers almost every town and city in the country, Rev A is only available in certain metro areas. There is Rev A in my area, but I cannot access it because phone doesn't know how to work with rev A. So it takes Rev 0 only (regular EVDO)
Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

meiagain is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybrf View Post
i believe youre thinking of the mogul. sprint has never officially said anything about a touch rom update

rev a ups the max download speed from 2.45Mbps to 3.1, but more importantly brings the max upload from 153kbps to 1.8Mbps. realistically expect to see download speeds between 1-1.5Mbps and upload speeds of 300-500kbps. the aircards have had it for a while, but the mogul, touch and centro are the first handsets to include it. however, none of them have it at launch (apparently it doesnt play nicely with winmo6, not sure why the centro is missing it) but they should all have it unlocked via a future firmware upgrade.
They did include a word months ago at Sprint.com in the Touch description that Rev A would be added end of 2007. That is what I read back then. Now this line is no longer there. Of course, they didn't specifically mention ROM update (I doubt many regular users know what ROM is). But we all know adding Rev A would require a ROM update.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

Koolaid is a n00b
as the candians say, Rev Eh?
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint SERO Premium

mswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuffmswlogo knows their stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by meiagain View Post
Sprint is freaking stupid. How can they roll out Mogul ROM update first while keeping Touch months later? They don't know a thing about priority in customer service. Just look at Amazon.com Mogul is FAR and Touch $250. They should take care of higher-end customers first and keep them happy first, regardless of the difference of phone launch date
What are you talking about? Mogul does not have it's update yet.

They offer both phones, they sell for what ever they sell for.

They will probably both be updated to REV-A early next year.

One may come before the other for reasons of support bandwidth.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Minarets is a n00b
thanks for the help
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue