PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: GPS Fixes by Carrier

Ok here is my take on all of this...

I flashed the Sprint "leaked" ROM last night and let the customizations run. So this morning I had a yellow looking phone. I immediately flashed my VZW 5067 kitchen ROM and my phone came up with a solid roaming indicator and instead of saying Verizon Wireless it said Preferred System. After reading the threads I am getting this because I let the customizations run, which updated the PRI. My PRI is listed at 2.03_003 right now and the only way to get back to a VZW phone is to back it down to 1.37, which I guess is the VZW supported PRI.

I do have to say while on the 2.03_003 PRI, and incorporating the GPS that HetaldP mentioned, I was able to get a SAT lock in seconds. I do enable SmartGPSMode since I have an unlimited data plan, and that obviously helps. I plan on backing down my PRI asap and then will re-test GPS.

So based on my experience I would not let customizations run. While the PRI does get updated it screws your phone up. VZW needs to address this asap, and I guess we will have to wait until they bring out a stock ROM.

Steve
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Mobility

NFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIPNFSFAN is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to NFSFAN

I have my Bell Mobility Touch flashed with the PPST, and I also have my PRI updated to the Sprint one, just by installing the PPST cab, and running it. I now am able to get a lock much faster than before, and I can confirm this. Before I would have to sometimes wait even up to 3 minutes, and rarely it locked within 30 seconds. Now it locks in after 25-30 seconds all the time, regardless of the phone entering sleep mode or even after a cold boot it takes about the same time. I also set my gpsmode to 4, and I have smartGPS enabled as well. Good luck, and remember you don't have to flash to a clean firmware after doing this, simply just updating the PRI will do. It will not screw up your Bell Mobility Touch at all in any way, I don't get any IOTA errors either.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

jacksplat is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSFAN View Post
I have my Bell Mobility Touch flashed with the PPST, and I also have my PRI updated to the Sprint one, just by installing the PPST cab, and running it. I now am able to get a lock much faster than before, and I can confirm this. Before I would have to sometimes wait even up to 3 minutes, and rarely it locked within 30 seconds. Now it locks in after 25-30 seconds all the time, regardless of the phone entering sleep mode or even after a cold boot it takes about the same time. I also set my gpsmode to 4, and I have smartGPS enabled as well. Good luck, and remember you don't have to flash to a clean firmware after doing this, simply just updating the PRI will do. It will not screw up your Bell Mobility Touch at all in any way, I don't get any IOTA errors either.
Any Verzion users have luck installing the PPST cab on the Verizon phone? Or the Sprint PRI on the VZW phone? The previous poster indicates that doesn't work for VZW, and most other comments I have seen say it's bad karma to mix PRI versions and carriers.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:19 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch
Carrier: bell

sleepyz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFSFAN View Post
Are you sure it's safe to run PPST on a Bell touch? I ran PPST when it was first discovered without thinking what it would do to my phone. At first, GPS locks were fast and within less that 1-2 min. But I started to run into problems with getting slow or no internet connection at all. I did a hard reset and got internet back, I checked my PRI after and it's 1.3 something. So I guess everything went back to normal, now GPS would lock in 5-10 min.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Telus

ghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on repghettofreeryder is halfway to VIP status based on rep

yeah check the sprint gps issue sticky. There are details on how to enable the gps portion of the sprint pri and have your carrier PRI as well
Old 05-31-2008, 10:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Htc Touch vogue
Carrier: Bell

Balkar is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettofreeryder View Post
yeah check the sprint gps issue sticky. There are details on how to enable the gps portion of the sprint pri and have your carrier PRI as well
Where in the thread? Can we get a post number
Old 05-31-2008, 11:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

plemen is just getting started

Here you go:

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.p...&postcount=211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkar View Post
Old 05-31-2008, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkar View Post
Yes, I would like to see that as well. The GPS information is spread out all over, and most of what I see doesn't even ID the carrier. Or in some cases, ID's another carriers (typically
Bell or Alltel).

And when I see recommendations like "install the PPST cab" or "let customizations run" and then elsewhere (such as in most all the instructions) is says "don't let the customizations run" and "now my phone is stuck in roaming", I think maybe wires are getting crossed.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

spetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuffspetrillo knows their stuff
Seperate Topic - But Related

All,

As you can see we have lots of information all over the place, and its not getting any better. I have made a request to the powers at PPCGEEKS to open a forum dedicated to GPS/SAT information, and NAV software also. I have big ideas for this forum, but to date have not gotten it created.

Should you agree its time to do this please go to the Forum Request section and post a reply to my initial request that you are in favor of this. Its only when we all speak up will things move in our favor.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 06-01-2008, 09:45 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Seperate Topic - But Related

Quote:
Originally Posted by spetrillo View Post
All,

As you can see we have lots of information all over the place, and its not getting any better. I have made a request to the powers at PPCGEEKS to open a forum dedicated to GPS/SAT information, and NAV software also. I have big ideas for this forum, but to date have not gotten it created.

Should you agree its time to do this please go to the Forum Request section and post a reply to my initial request that you are in favor of this. Its only when we all speak up will things move in our favor.

Thanks,
Steve
I totally agree. http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=27130
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development