PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

ivanstanko is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: An safer alternative way to get Rev-A/GPS

Everything seems to have installed properly, Radio is 3.37.10, WM is 6.1 (although browser version says MSIE 6.0). Phone works. Internet does not connect. Is there a simple fix to restore this. Also, is there supposed to be an actual GPS icon or button for configuration? I realize I'm a newbie, but any help would be appreciated. Bell Touch in Toronto.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: xv6900 verizon

TheeWizard is a n00b

you will have to re-enter your internet connection data using the comm manager

if you did NOT copy it down, you will need to get it from another BELL user

check the various BELL pda forums

for my verizon phone the connection number is #777, and the ID is my cell number@vzw3g.com

your bell system is possibly something similar
Old 05-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell

ivanstanko is a n00b
Unhappy Re: An safer alternative way to get Rev-A/GPS

I managed to get 2.31 , and th Alltel ROM installed, but when I initially booted the renamed GPStest nbh from microsd it just said "loading" briefly, and went back to the rainbow screen. Because I didn't see anything indicating failure, I rebooted, and ended up letting Alltel customize.
F***! I reformatted the microsd again and was able install gpstest. Have I screwed this thing up permantly. WM 6.1 seems pretty stable, phone works, but internet won't connect via cell. Can I reflash Alltel & GPStest ? How do I activate or configure GPS, is there supposed to be a configure menu? Any advise? I'm on Bell in Toronto.
Thanks.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work

Go to this Thread.

Follow the instructions "DOWNGRADING AND REVERTING BACK TO ORIGINAL SPL" and "RESTORE THE 1.33.003 PRI"

This will get you back to stock. From here it's up to you if you want to attempt the upgrade again.

I think you might have skipped a step somewhere when dealing with the custom rom. It should have asked you to confirm the flash using power button.

If you didn't get a confirmation then you probably forgot to rename the file.

Try giving Dharvey4651's thread a good reading. He actually wrote a good tutorial on how to recover your device in case something went wrong.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Oh when he says to use the sprint rom. You want to use your original bell rom ok?

Last edited by Darkflame808; 05-10-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:09 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: TOUCH CDMA

atbcrash is a n00b

The link for Jd's GPS 2.1 Rom is not working. Does anyone know where to get it or could I use a different ROM.

I don't know if anyone answered but does this have this have the radio in it or does that have to be installed seperately? Also, do I have to download the sprint ROM (go back to OEM) then install this. I already have the OMJ non-gps installed. Thanks for your help
Old 05-10-2008, 06:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Darkflame808 is keeping up the good workDarkflame808 is keeping up the good work

You can use any rom you like as long as it's a rom based on the 3.x radio. Usually they are labeled as "GPS/Rev-A Rom's". The radio upgrade that unlocks the GPS and Rev-A abilities is actually in the alltel upgrade. This is why you need to upgrade using that rom before upgrading to a custom rom.

Most all custom roms actually just update the image portion. The alltel rom updates the OS as well as the Radio (CDMA) portion of the phone.

Once you go to the alltel rom it is advised that you do not return to the stock rom due to possibile incompatibilities.

I may sacrifice my vogue in a tutorial on going back to stock if it is needed but given how well things have been going thus far I prefer to just stick with 3.x

The 3.x radio / 2.31 cokeman combo has fixed all the freezing issues i've been having with the 6.1 roms lately so i'm lovin it.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Lurker

TheeWizard is a n00b

I thought i had the GPS test.rar but thefile i had, was incomplete and currupt, i am unable to Dl any JD's file or OMJ files, this sucks

I do have the altel file and the ghettoryders vista generic reva gps 700 rar and cokemans 2.31 unlocker
and one called the xv6900 RUU signed rar, which might be the dump of the verizon ROM

now i'm not sure what to use, since i don't have JD's gps test file

i guess i'll try ghetto's vista generic it has the gps in it if I don't change my mind, dang it more reading

Last edited by TheeWizard; 05-10-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

The GPS test rom was well basically.............................A Gps test rom lol. It was an attempt to get gps working and it did. Since then a lot of people have made custom roms.

You'll want to look into using astrogps or some type of program to prime your gps.

I've had great results using astrogps. It doesn't matter what type of rom i've used. They all pretty much worked with astrogps.

You'll get stories about how some took 10 minute to lock, then they tried another rom and it only took 2 minute to lock.

Then the whole world goes Oooooooh! and they all jump on ship...Then tomorrow you get 25 new threads about how last night it took two minutes, today it's taking forever again.

Then someone posts "I used to have two minute locks now it takes forever but then I tried this rom and I got two minute locks again!" Ooooooooooh! then everyone jumps on ship and tries another rom etc.

GPS is GPS. You have cold starts, warm starts and hot starts.

My GPS logger in my motorcycle is the same. If I turn it off and leave it to cool down then power it up again, sometimes it finds a lock in a minute...sometimes two....sometimes if never finds a lock unless I turn it off and turn it on again. In which case it'll lock in within 30 seconds.

Every tom you test is gonna pretty much be the same in terms of GPS. This because whatever was done to the radio to activate the gps was done when you upgraded the alltel rom and unlocked the CDMA gps portion.

Everything else is left to implementation via the OS. Some GPS roms set some regedits, some borrow from others etc....there's only so much you can do really.

When it comes to roms. Go for the look and feel. The GPS stuff as long as it's embedded within the rom should be able to be tweaked with time and patience.

Don't get cought up in the whole AGPS hopes and dreams. Just and use it like a GPS was designed to be used and start off with a clear view of the sky.

Good luck!
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Lurker

TheeWizard is a n00b

yeah, i have already DL astoGPS, GPSviewer, and something else i can't remember

I don't do GEO caching, and i generally know where i am, but having the gps function with google maps, when i'm going some place unfamilar is all I need.

I understand about lock times, ghettos generic seems a little large at 80+ mb, and vista themed, but people seem to like it.

so all i need to do is pick the RUU_signed.nhb from the xxxx.exe and rename it for the second step. just choose one i want to try

I know 'do not run customization on the altel flash'

what about after the second flash with the img ROM ? which is the wm6 or 6.1 and associated OEM stuff. do I run the customization or NOT, or does it make any difference, I realize i'm not getting the Verizon addons in any way shape or form, thats OK, I just want to make sure i do things correctly, i really prefer to have it work correctly on the first try, or i'll be using my laptop from a wifi hotspot, to ask my fixit questions

Last edited by TheeWizard; 05-10-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Vogue)
Carrier: Telus

Soul_Est is keeping up the good workSoul_Est is keeping up the good work

@Darkflame808

This tutorial is great! Now I can experiment with unlocking my vogue from within a virtual machine (the only place windows xp will work now...WTF!!!). I'll post again when I've succeeded or failed in this lame attempt to unlock my vogue.

Various tweaks and programs found on XDA-Developers, PPCGeeks, MoDaCo, and WinMo-Experts forums.

Thank you to all the experts who enlighten us on the ways of enhancing our phones beyond the norm.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Vogue > HTC Vogue Development