PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 04:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VX6850
Carrier: Verizon

tbone2000 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
SLOOOOOW to pick up satellites

I've been back and fourth with custom ROMs and stock ROMs. I have a Verizon Touch Pro. I recently have tried a few more custom ROMs but I continue to have a major problem with GPS which is that it can take minutes, sometimes 10's of minutes to connect to the satellites. I have no idea why this is the case. If I burn the stock ROM and run VZ Navigator it works great but Google Maps with the stock or custom ROMs take forever to get satellites. I have tried QuickGPS and GPSTool and they seem to make no difference. I can't live without the GPS ability and I can't wait 20 minutes to get a signal. Worst case I'll have to go back to the stock rom and VZ navigator but I'm hoping that someone has some insight and maybe I have to program something or run another program or perhaps Verizon opened up the GPS and makes it painfully slow with any program other than VZ Navigator so that you will be forced to go with VZ Navigator.

Thanks,
Tbone
Old 11-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

drdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to drdrewdown Send a message via AIM to drdrewdown Send a message via MSN to drdrewdown Send a message via Yahoo to drdrewdown Send a message via Skype™ to drdrewdown
Re: SLOOOOOW to pick up satellites

i would highly suggest flashing a new radio before you try anything else.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, will do and I'll let you know how that goes.

Thanks

Last edited by tbone2000; 11-09-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

drdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuffdrdrewdown knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to drdrewdown Send a message via AIM to drdrewdown Send a message via MSN to drdrewdown Send a message via Yahoo to drdrewdown Send a message via Skype™ to drdrewdown

np man, keep in mind you dont have much to lose. feel free flashing any carrier radio & your phone will still work... ie a sprint radio on verizon phone will still work fine!

also it will not wipe or hard reset your device, but your GPS will work =]

this thread explains it in detail

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74422

GL
Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks for the link. I thought I programmed a new radio many months ago but now that you brought it up I'll check what I have and perhaps as you've suggested will flash a new one to see if that solves my issue.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

good to know also that when do the "flash dance" & put a stock radio package back on ur phone, typically they include the stock radio as well. so anytime you go back to stock rom package, you will want to consider upgrading the radio again at some point.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, first attempt is not so good. I tried the Telus radio. Firstly, it did hard reset my device. Of course, I had just flashed SSK last night so I hadn't put anything else on so no big deal but I wonder what happened. Secondly, I don't seem to have a data connection anymore. I tried Google Maps and another program and they said "you must have an internet connection to use the software. I've never seen that before. Might it be related to the Telus radio on the Verizon network?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok, I flashed the latest Verizon radio and I have the Internet connection back but still no GPS. Any other ideas?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Got it. Ok, maybe I was just stupid. What solved it was installing the latest !!!bored!!! hack. I guess since I had installed the newest stock ROM which opened the GPS I assumed that I don't need a hack anymore but I guess with custom ROM's you still do. There is a new version of it. Once I installed that and ran the GPS tool the programs found the satellites with no problems.

By the way, the Verison radio is just a soft reset but the Telus did a hard reset. Just an FYI.

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

you bet... i've never heard of a radio hard resetting a device. even that thread says it wont so thats interesting. i'm not arguing, just saying

anyway glad ya figured it out! i havent had to do any hacks to my guys phones at work.. i've setup 3 vzw touch pros & not one have had to find any hacks. after performing the vzw update which unlocked GPS, it continued working when i put calkulin/ssk roms on there. just fyi =] cheers!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro