PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: Alltel

catamanta is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Disable internet completely (not just data connection)

I would like to disable the internet on my stock Alltel Rom touch pro. This includes through WiFi, USB, data connection, everything. I was hoping there were some dll files I could just delete. I would also need help getting around the fact that you cannot delete system files.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

rekphiv is becoming a great contributor
Re: Disable internet completely (not just data connection)

Why would you want to take an awesome phone with great data capabilities and cripple it? Just for battery life? Dont want your kid looking at pr0n on it? what other reasons are there.....
Old 10-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

catamanta is a n00b

Essentially the second one.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker

I personally dont see how killing something would be any different than just not using it. Have you tried flashing to a different rom?
edit: sorry didnt read the kid part...
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Last edited by elmerfudpucker; 10-06-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Alltel/VerizOn

KillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillAByteZ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Trust your kid man. If your kid is smart enough he/she will figure out what you did.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

catamanta is a n00b

Thank you for all of your relies, however, I would appreciate it if someone knew what files I could delete to make the internet go away. This way I can copy them elsewhere and, when proper maturity is shown, restore them.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Honestly, deleting files wouldn't really do much good, as it would just take a hard reset to restore them from the ROM and it wouldn't take a relatively intelligent kid long to figure that out, especially if he is determined. Your best bet is going to be to cook your own ROM that has the drivers for data/wifi/etc left out. If you don't know how to do that, you can ask one of the experienced "chefs" if they'd be willing to help you out.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Arrive

Aleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good workAleki is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

While it will get rid of the data service, anything that tries to connect will bug the crap out of you with login information. To do this go to:
Start/Settings/Connections/Connections/Manage existing connections. Under the modem tab, there should be radio buttons that show your provider's name, and in some cases, phone as modem, or other services. The number that displays right next to the name of the service is what the phone dials out to attain a network connection (deleting the radio button will only cause it to reset the information when your phone attempts to reconnect). You can change that number by highlighting the radio button and tapping edit, and keep tapping next until you get to the option that allows you to change the number (#777 for sprint). Change that number to whatever random number you feel and continue tapping next until you go through all the options. After youve changed that information, you may need to do a soft reset so the phone will dial out to the new number. If you ever want to revert to allowing the phone to use data, go back to the settings and either re-edit that number or delete it (it will regenerate with the proper information if its the only radio button on the field).

If that confuses you, let me know. I'm not in the right state of mind to do a proper writeup

Last edited by Aleki; 10-06-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleki View Post
While it will get rid of the data service, anything that tries to connect will bug the crap out of you with login information. To do this go to...*snip*
That will certainly disable the data services connection, but the OP was also looking for a way to disable ALL internet capabilities of the device, including WiFi, Bluetooth.

As far as USB connectivity, the computer he connects it to would have to have ActiveSync installed in order to share its internet connection with the phone, so just make sure that's not installed and you should be ok there.

Anyone know if there's any kind of "net nanny" software for WinMo? That might be an interim solution for the OP. So, rather than disable internet, just monitor where he goes on it.

Edit: Here's one option for monitoring activity on cell phones: http://www.smobilesystems.com/parental_control.php. It has a WinMo version. Can't tell if it monitors their web usage, but certainly monitors everything else!

Last edited by abrigham; 10-06-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: found an answer to my own question!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

catamanta is a n00b

I think that I am still simply looking for some way to delete the necessary files to make the internet "work". Granted, an internet filter might work, but after a couple of hours of searching for one, I cannot seem to find one that actually filters the internet (rather than just monitoring). I am willing to do something that would be reversed by a hard reset. I don't think I am looking for quite that kind of protection. An internet filter would be removed by a hard reset anyway. So if I could have some direction along the lines of my original question I would appreciate it. And really, I am looking to disable wifi most of all. I think I got the data thing taken care by using the wrong passwords etc even if it should dial the correct 777 number. But the wifi is still a problem.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro