PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2009, 11:25 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

djstone86 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Set up a home server? How can i do this?

Hi guys i have a touch pro and windows xp, and this weekend i went out of town and wanted to listen to music and watch some shows on my computer. besides logmein, is there a way where i could access and transfer the files quickly to my touch pro?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

fishpony is becoming a great contributor
Re: Set up a home server? How can i do this?

stream with ORB? it's free
Old 10-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You need to have a server software for this to work. Windows uses IIS, so start there if you wish, otherwise google free server software...

Orb is just a streaming program, not a server.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6700

djheir is keeping up the good workdjheir is keeping up the good work

Yeah, Orb is probably your best bet. Not only can you stream your files (quicker, and you can pick your dl speed), you can also download files to your phone for "offline" access. You can also hook up cable to your pc and have access to all of your basic cable channels through orb as well.

Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2009, 04:13 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

ORB will do what you want. Its nice because you don't need a fancy "server" to stream video and music. I used to use ORB all the time when I had a TV tuner in my PC.

http://www.orb.com/
Old 10-05-2009, 06:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro-GPS
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Rangerdave is keeping up the good workRangerdave is keeping up the good work

or set up an ftp server.

RD
Old 10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
VIP Member

zone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributionszone23 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdave View Post
or set up an ftp server.

RD
I don't believe an FTP server will allow you to stream video or music. Most IT guys would not recommend setting up an FTP site as they can also be a security risk.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 4g & TP 2
Carrier: Dan.

coolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on repcoolwhip1220 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
ORB will do what you want. Its nice because you don't need a fancy "server" to stream video and music. I used to use ORB all the time when I had a TV tuner in my PC.

http://www.orb.com/
+1. This is what I use.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro-GPS
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Rangerdave is keeping up the good workRangerdave is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by zone23 View Post
I don't believe an FTP server will allow you to stream video or music. Most IT guys would not recommend setting up an FTP site as they can also be a security risk.
Streaming your very correct, unless your browser is able to make some interesting corrections on the fly on a mobile phone. I use BulletProof ftp server at my house. Very Bulletproof.
Orb would be a good one to try out as noted before.

RD
Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdave View Post
Streaming your very correct, unless your browser is able to make some interesting corrections on the fly on a mobile phone. I use BulletProof ftp server at my house. Very Bulletproof.
Orb would be a good one to try out as noted before.

RD

Yep I used BPFTP for a long time then I got windows home server and didn't need it anymore.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...rver/eval.mspx

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro