PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: sprint

chico71 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
block my cell number

I have a google phone number and my real cell phone number. I want to be able to block my real cell number when sending a text message and only have my google number show up. If another person has google voice, and they send a text message, then I reply, it shows my google voice number and my real number. Is there a way to block my original cell number and just have my google voice number show up?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: block my cell number

i dont think so... i havent played a ton with it yet though... sms via GV seems to act differently than their calling features..

i very well could be wrong though..

just ran some txt tests though...i have 3 lines hooked to one GV number... i can txt and reply to the GV txts... it shows my GV number as the sender, but shows my Full Name and the reply in the message body..

no real cell number though... if your thinking you can remian anonymous with texting via GV, i dont think its gonna happen
Old 09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico71 View Post
I have a google phone number and my real cell phone number. I want to be able to block my real cell number when sending a text message and only have my google number show up. If another person has google voice, and they send a text message, then I reply, it shows my google voice number and my real number. Is there a way to block my original cell number and just have my google voice number show up?
If I recall, there is an option to send your cell phone number in the text message as a "call back" number. I just tested with a friend and my Google Voice number was shown when I replied to a text message. Not sure why it isn't doing that for yours??
Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

juddrl is becoming a great contributor

If you follow the steps in this link, I think it will do what you're looking for. The only thing I think is that you have to get them to SMS your google number first so you can get their unique 406 number.

http://lifehacker.com/5316921/how-to...y-mobile-phone
Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 | HTC Hero

appzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to appzattak Send a message via MSN to appzattak Send a message via Yahoo to appzattak Send a message via Skype™ to appzattak

Your cell is not sent as long as you reply to the 406 number, it will appear as your GV number

Old 09-01-2009, 11:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

juddrl is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by appzattak View Post
Your cell is not sent as long as you reply to the 406 number, it will appear as your GV number
yes, but the question remains: How do you get them to send an sms to your google phone so you can get the 406 number without texting them first (thereby giving your cell number).
Old 09-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 | HTC Hero

appzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regularappzattak is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to appzattak Send a message via MSN to appzattak Send a message via Yahoo to appzattak Send a message via Skype™ to appzattak

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddrl View Post
yes, but the question remains: How do you get them to send an sms to your google phone so you can get the 406 number without texting them first (thereby giving your cell number).
Ok, here is how it works. I never give out my cell phone number, I always give out my GV number. I tell those I give it to they can call or text me. So they text my GV number, now there number is assigned a 406 number which I had to their contact info. then I can send a text to that number and it looks like it came from my GV number but it really was sent from my cell. They never see my cell unless I send a text directly to their cell and not the 406 number.

So to answer your question, stop giving your "cell" number out, give them your GV number and tell them it is your cell.....hope this helps and makes sense
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker

regression is keeping up the good workregression is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddrl View Post
If you want to be the first person to send someone a SMS using your Google number, go to Google Voice's mobile webpage. From there you can initiate a call or send a SMS. The recipient will see the text message as coming from your Google Voice number, not your cell phone number.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro