PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2 (Telesales Launch Day H/W Rev.)
Carrier: Sprint PCS

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Gmail & my TP

I have several Gmail accounts, but only need to access my primary one from my TP. The primary account has over 20,000 messages going back about 4 years. As mail comes into it, a large amount is automatically labeled. Some is labeled and archived. Is there a way that I can have my TP alert me that I have new mail in the acct, while having it still respect the labels? Without them, the volume of email I get would be too much to handle.

Thanks...

Last edited by SweetBearCub; 08-17-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM
The Dyslexic VIP
Pocket PC: (3)TPs (1)TP2 (1) Optimus S (1) Dell Mini 10
Carrier: Sprint

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed
Re: Gmail & my TP

i think its too much period... i cant believe it will really load 20,000 emails...

if i sent you a txt bomb of 20,000 pages of txt, it'd mess your phone up real good...

your way overloading your device i think
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

SweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSweetBearCub is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
i think its too much period... i cant believe it will really load 20,000 emails...

if i sent you a txt bomb of 20,000 pages of txt, it'd mess your phone up real good...

your way overloading your device i think
I don't want it to load 20K emails - I only want it to tell me the following:

1) That I have new/unread email.
2) The subject line of said email.
And optionally, 3) What label the message has, if any.

Can that be done?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM
The Dyslexic VIP

boredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the communityboredandtattooed is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to boredandtattooed Send a message via MSN to boredandtattooed Send a message via Yahoo to boredandtattooed Send a message via Skype™ to boredandtattooed

well of course u can be notified of a new message...

yes ur pop up will give u the name and subject line

what do u mean by labels??/
Old 08-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredandtattooed View Post
well of course u can be notified of a new message...

yes ur pop up will give u the name and subject line

what do u mean by labels??/
'Labels' are a Gmail-specific feature. Think of them as the old style 'folders' on your average email system, except that messages in Gmail can have multiple labels, so they can be sorted under multiple headings while still only having one copy of the email in your account. This makes it easier to manage large volumes of mail and still be able to find relevant emails 4 years down the line if you need to.

For example, if I have a message from PPCGeeks come in saying that a thread that I am subscribed to has a reply, Gmail labels it as 'PPCGeeks' and keeps it out of my main inbox. The only mail that actually hits my inbox is mail that Gmail doesn't know how to filter/label, which is usually personal email.

I'd like to know when I get a new message in the account, what the subject line is, and what label is has assigned, if possible. If I could block updates for some specific labels (a couple are high-volume mailing lists) that would be nice too.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Siflan is keeping up the good workSiflan is keeping up the good work

Go to: Tool>Options>Settings and do it from there. You can even set how much email you want to load back from (3 days/7 days/all messages, etc.).
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
The Dyslexic VIP

ok i gotcha... i use gmail, but have never done the whole labeling thing...

i dont know how it would react honestly....

it may or maynot depend on if your set it up as imap(default) or change it to pop3 also on how the labeling will react
Old 08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TOuch Pro

Uemantra is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to Uemantra Send a message via MSN to Uemantra Send a message via Yahoo to Uemantra Send a message via Skype™ to Uemantra

There is a Gmail labs feature called "Advanced IMAP controls" or something of the sort. It will let you pick which labels you would like to show up as folders when you sync via IMAP. It works pretty well with the built in windows mobile mail client.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks I'll try the advanced IMAP controls.. Siflan, I tried to do the normal setup on an old Q9c I own as a test a few days ago. I set the options to the minimum (only mails from the last day, minimum amount of each mail, etc. and it began to try to download 3,074 messages. I canceled the send/receive as fast as I could, as I'm sure the Q9c would have choked.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro