PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

metaGlass is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Getting phone activated, want feedback / info

Hi everyone

I currently have a new Alltel HTC Touch Pro that's going to be activated on the Verizon network either this Thursday or Friday. I have a Verizon TP that is ok, but I like the Alltel one better. Anyway, I tried to get it activated and hit the ESN registration road-block at first. However, luck shined on me and a friend of a friend is helping me out. He has the authority to get the Alltel ESN added to the Verizon DMD and will do it when he goes back into work on Thursday (or Friday if he's too busy).

Anyway, so it looks like I've got the hardest part pretty much done. I understand that the trickiest part after this is getting all of the services working (voice, sms, mms, & data) on the Verizon network. I'm looking for advice on what else I might need to do, if I've missed anything, to get the phone working.

The Alltel phone is unlocked using cmonexs image / hard-spl 0.37. I updated the PRL with the file 51056.prl. I'm not sure where to get the latest PRL, or if I even need to do so (the phone shows that I'm getting rA, EV-DO Rev A). For obvious reasons, I REALLY don't want to be roaming all of the time. I'd like to flash it to the latest MightyROM, but I'm not sure if I should do that before or after the ESN is registered & the phone is activated (or if it even matters). It also seems like I might need to go into the phones EPST settings and reset some information, and/or ask them to do a DMU Reset to get the data working. I'm assuming I need to install the Verizon carrier cab? Do I need to install the Arcsoft MMS cab too?

Sorry for the long-winded post and the questions, but I wanted to be thorough so you guys aren't in the dark. Plus I really want to get this going ASAP, and want to make sure I can take care of everything in a single call with my friend. I did read a bunch of other threads, but a lot of the info was either conflicting or old, so I figured this would be more efficient. Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 08-05-2009, 12:27 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

fenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regularfenixjn is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Getting phone activated, want feedback / info

Hi, well I can help you a little as far as roaming. You can control the phone's behavior regarding roaming by configuring the settings on the phone application, just access your phone, then hit the Menu softkey > Options > Services tab > Network service then hit get settings..., once in there you'll see the options as far as roaming. If you do not want to roam then use 'Home Only'

By default, EnergyROM does not allow roaming since the option is hidden but if you want to have it available just in case then you must use a registry editor and then go to HKLM\Software\OEM\InitProv\PhoneSetting and modify the ItemCount value (by default 3) to 5

I dont know about MightyROM since I have not tried it but the key above will help you in case you need to see all the romaing options.

As far as the ArcSoft for MMS, make sure you use one for your carrier or you might end installing something that won't work

ROM: DamageControl 3.1.2
Radio: Stock +upgrade (for now)
Old 08-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

To take care of the roaming indicator, install the newest Verizon PRI (you can find it in bored's GPS fix thread, or install the newest VZW ROM update) and you should be able to run a normal VZW PRL instead of a hacked one as I understand it.

After the MEID is added to the database you should be able to flash whatever ROM you want, input the correct PST settings, install the carrier CAB depending on which ROM you flashed (some don't need it), activate, and force 1X by making a call, etc. to get the keys written to get data working. If MMS is not included in your ROM, flash the VZW Arcsoft CAB and you should be good to go.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:24 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

metaGlass is a n00b

Excellent! Thanks guys, very informative

I understand what the PRL is, but I'm not sure what PRI means. I'll look for it later today & download it. I'm more curious about the order in which I should do these things, mainly what should I do to prep the phone before activation, and what I should do afterward. I'm not sure which settings (if any) might get lost during the activation process (I wouldn't think anything though, but hey I could be wrong). The phone currently has the stock Alltel ROM on it, and it has cmonex's hard-spl 0.37 flashed. Right now here's what I'm planning on doing...

1. Get on the phone with my friend and have him add the ESN to the Verizon DMD
  2. Ask my friend to force a DMU reset so that new settings can be written to the phone
  3. Activate the phone
  4. Flash the latest MightyROM image onto the phone
  5. Install the VZW Carrier Cab (although MightyROM might already be geared for this, will check)
  6. Install the latest VZW PRI
  7. Make a call to force 1xRTT and to have any keys/settings written that need to be written
  8. Enjoy my new phone :P

See anything wrong? Am I missing anything? Anything out-of-order?
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

metaGlass is a n00b

Ok, so it looks like he's going to do it tomorrow (unless they get slammed with calls). Any words of advice? :P

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro