PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

kidmet is keeping up the good workkidmet is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to kidmet Send a message via Yahoo to kidmet
Re: Best Buy no longer carries Touch Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
well windows is the operating system, which many would argue is extremely antiquated. Even 6.5 is only applying band-aids to a much more serious fundamental issues with the WM platform such as multi-touch, and it's reliance on stylus. It's stability or lack-thereof is also nfamous on these forums. The biggest and probably only saving grace of WM is the openness of the platform and the ability for people to do things like cook ROMs and such. BB/Apple/Palm completely lock down their hardware to prevent that, most likely because they have direct control of their hardware.

HTC also needs to improve the quality of their phones. Granted they are probably the best producer of WM phones right now, if they don't come out with phones with better designs/drivers/quality, they're going to fall behind and eventually people will have forgotten they existed. It would be a real shame as HTC is really the only contender for good WM phones with physical keyboards.

I have to disagree on two major points here. Lack of stability? I am bone stock and RARELY have stability problems. My roommate has a Storm and he has major problems with stability (that's the only competitor I am familiar with enough to comment, though iPhone 3GS battery problems have been surfacing). I also NEVER use my stylus. It's been missing for weeks now and I haven't even noticed. Does HTC produce a good phone, yes. Can they produce a GREAT phone by listening to customers, getting drivers, and combining features they already provide, absolutely. We want our cake and we want to eat it too, but I can't say the TP is a disappointment by any means. Head to head with the competitors, I rarely find features that my phone doesn't have. If I do, there are also downfalls that my phone doesn't have, so it all depends. As far as the TP2, if they expected it to be major upgrades, I am sure they wouldn't have used the "TP" brand for it. A bigger screen is enough to make me upgrade, but I understand that everyone uses their phone for different things and I am sure HTC does also. Regardless, I think the TP2 will be a good device and I forsee a lot of people that say they don't want it, ending up upgrading for the fact that we are all here for the same reason. We love gadgets, we want the latest and greatest, and like the title of the website says, we are geeks. I wish I could say I wouldn't upgrade and the screen, keyboard, etc wasn't enough to make me upgrade, but honestly, it is....
Old 06-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Jedi Master

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidmet View Post
I have to disagree on two major points here. Lack of stability? I am bone stock and RARELY have stability problems. My roommate has a Storm and he has major problems with stability (that's the only competitor I am familiar with enough to comment, though iPhone 3GS battery problems have been surfacing). I also NEVER use my stylus. It's been missing for weeks now and I haven't even noticed. Does HTC produce a good phone, yes. Can they produce a GREAT phone by listening to customers, getting drivers, and combining features they already provide, absolutely. We want our cake and we want to eat it too, but I can't say the TP is a disappointment by any means. Head to head with the competitors, I rarely find features that my phone doesn't have. If I do, there are also downfalls that my phone doesn't have, so it all depends. As far as the TP2, if they expected it to be major upgrades, I am sure they wouldn't have used the "TP" brand for it. A bigger screen is enough to make me upgrade, but I understand that everyone uses their phone for different things and I am sure HTC does also. Regardless, I think the TP2 will be a good device and I forsee a lot of people that say they don't want it, ending up upgrading for the fact that we are all here for the same reason. We love gadgets, we want the latest and greatest, and like the title of the website says, we are geeks. I wish I could say I wouldn't upgrade and the screen, keyboard, etc wasn't enough to make me upgrade, but honestly, it is....
One of the key signs of stability issues is the number of times you find it necessary to soft reset a phone. No matter what WM I ran, from WM5 to WM6 to WM6.1 stock WM6.1 custom to WM6.5 I've always had to soft reset my phone at least a couple times a week due to various issues, whether it started to slow down or completely freeze.

Now I absolutely abhor the iPhone, but one of my friends didn't even know how to reset her iPhone until about 5 months after she first got it, when it froze for the first time. The iPhone is much simpler in structure, but it is a testament to it's stability. Many of my friends with BBs also rarely reset their phones. Many people have different experiences with WM, depending on their level of customization and programs installed, but I am willing to bet that the majority of power users on this forum have significant stability problems with WM. But like I said, I unfortunately deal with these issues on the tradeoff of customization, but I just wish it were possible to have it both ways. I can see how the average consumer would be turned off to using WM due to it's flakiness.

HTC and WM6.5 has significantly improved 'finger-friendliness' but it's nowhere near the ease of use that a multitouch screen offers. I find myself constantly having to use my nail to pinpoint things on the screen if I'm too lazy to pull out the stylus.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:45 PM
brushrop03

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

We need better hardware right now. Not necessarily a better OS. I'm fine with 6.5 and 6.1

TP2 was such a waste. They could have thrown in some more ram or better processor. So disappointed.

People are going to throw money at the TP2 unless they already have their upgrade ready or can sell their TP to offset the cost.

Kidmet I think you just like to spend money...
Old 06-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Bay Area Boss
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

p-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributionsp-slim should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via Yahoo to p-slim

Quote:
well windows is the operating system, which many would argue is extremely antiquated. Even 6.5 is only applying band-aids to a much more serious fundamental issues with the WM platform such as multi-touch, and it's reliance on stylus. It's stability or lack-thereof is also nfamous on these forums. The biggest and probably only saving grace of WM is the openness of the platform and the ability for people to do things like cook ROMs and such. BB/Apple/Palm completely lock down their hardware to prevent that, most likely because they have direct control of their hardware.

HTC also needs to improve the quality of their phones. Granted they are probably the best producer of WM phones right now, but if they don't come out with phones with better designs/drivers/quality, they're going to fall behind and eventually people will have forgotten they existed. It would be a real shame as HTC is really the only contender for good WM phones with physical keyboards.
I do have to agree, because i've had 3 tp's and they all keep going out because of the keyboard. That is definitely htc's fault and not winmo's.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Hercules Valvalotus
Pocket PC: Nokia N900 as my tablet Tmo G2 for my phone
Carrier: T-mobile & Google Voice

TheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuffTheRealHotshot knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to TheRealHotshot Send a message via MSN to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Yahoo to TheRealHotshot Send a message via Skype™ to TheRealHotshot

The bigger screen,better keyboard and faster tf3d is more than enough for me to upgrade. I too run the stock rom and even before I installed ram cleaner program it was very rare I I had to soft reset my phone I had the 6700 and mogul and I must say 1 to 2 soft resets was common for me and I mean seriously if it kills you to MAYBE have to soft reset 2 to 3 times out a full 7 day week than I really don't know what to tell you. But the ram cleaner program set to every 3 hrs to clean keeps my phone running strong

*formerly known as Not_A_Stain*

GOOGLE WAVE USER
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrop03 View Post
Kidmet I think you just like to spend money...

Maybe.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
One of the key signs of stability issues is the number of times you find it necessary to soft reset a phone. No matter what WM I ran, from WM5 to WM6 to WM6.1 stock WM6.1 custom to WM6.5 I've always had to soft reset my phone at least a couple times a week due to various issues, whether it started to slow down or completely freeze.

Now I absolutely abhor the iPhone, but one of my friends didn't even know how to reset her iPhone until about 5 months after she first got it, when it froze for the first time. The iPhone is much simpler in structure, but it is a testament to it's stability. Many of my friends with BBs also rarely reset their phones. Many people have different experiences with WM, depending on their level of customization and programs installed, but I am willing to bet that the majority of power users on this forum have significant stability problems with WM. But like I said, I unfortunately deal with these issues on the tradeoff of customization, but I just wish it were possible to have it both ways. I can see how the average consumer would be turned off to using WM due to it's flakiness.

HTC and WM6.5 has significantly improved 'finger-friendliness' but it's nowhere near the ease of use that a multitouch screen offers. I find myself constantly having to use my nail to pinpoint things on the screen if I'm too lazy to pull out the stylus.
I think as far as stability goes, the customizations, etc could be a reason for the issues. Lack of customization = stability (not saying this is true, just saying this could eb a reason for the stability of BB and iPhone)
Old 06-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-slim View Post
I do have to agree, because i've had 3 tp's and they all keep going out because of the keyboard. That is definitely htc's fault and not winmo's.
I agree with the keyboard issue. I can't imagine how much money they have lost because of this issue. I have had 3 as well because of it.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond and TP

Shin_Akuma26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularShin_Akuma26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularShin_Akuma26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularShin_Akuma26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularShin_Akuma26 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Great to know thanks for sharing and now to cancel that piece of poo!
Old 06-30-2009, 02:05 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

savior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIPsavior02 is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to savior02

htc and the tp2 is soo overrated!!!!!! samsung already has the best pda ever made..the omnia pro should be out this year thats what i want! i will jump carriers to get it. tp sux

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro