PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint

head honch is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Keyboard Issues

lately my keyboard has acting up to the point that it doesn't even function..

so i gave it a week because it seemed to work when it wanted to, and then it finally gave in so this past monday i took it into a Sprint store here around my job and they weren't able to fix it so they sent me a refurb (which i was pissed about) the battery cover was repainted and everything my scratched up cover looked newer....anyways so i got it yesterday they set up the phone after some complications and the kybd was working...until

i got home they couldn't transfer the contacts at the store so i plugged it up to the HTC USBcable that comes with the phone and i was able to sync just fine, and load my apps back into the phone.....then about two hours later the kybd starts to lag and stops functioning again after only having the phone a few hours

so i took it back today told them the issue i even tried to get rid of my TP for a Pre and no luck cuz i'm fed up at this point it's gonna be my 3rd one in less than a month they just ordered me a replacement (i'm expecting another refurb) , but i left it cuz my data wasn't working (Internet & Weather)

Has anyone else had this happen to them? if so what did u do?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:24 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Evo Shift
Carrier: Sprint SEP 4G

elmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuffelmerfudpucker knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to elmerfudpucker
Re: Keyboard Issues

find a different sprint store + be extra nice or call customer service and do the same
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

yeah, I went in to alltel and told them I need a NIB replacement (new in box)
it's a manufacturing defect that's covered by the manufacturing warranty,
and the manufacturing warranty states the defect warrants a NIB replacement,
and if they call their tech department or HTC they will be told the same exact thing.

Worked for me, and they said ok they can do that before even pulling up any of my account info.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment

blazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuffblazinazn knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to blazinazn

Welcome to the club, although I don't think you want to be in this club. I'm on my 3rd TP. Keyboard flaked out on the first 2 and they were brand new.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49422&page=8

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71454

I've heard some pretty bad stories about getting replacements(refurbs) so I'm sure some people can relate.

I flashed a new radio as soon as I got my 3rd TP and it seems to keep the phone from getting hot, which seems to help ::knock on wood::

Watch, my KB will start flaking out and I'll need to get a new phone, again...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:25 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinazn View Post
Welcome to the club, although I don't think you want to be in this club. I'm on my 3rd TP. Keyboard flaked out on the first 2 and they were brand new.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49422&page=8

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71454

I've heard some pretty bad stories about getting replacements(refurbs) so I'm sure some people can relate.

I flashed a new radio as soon as I got my 3rd TP and it seems to keep the phone from getting hot, which seems to help ::knock on wood::

Watch, my KB will start flaking out and I'll need to get a new phone, again...
Everyone that gets refurbs are getting ripped off.
Don't take a refurb.
Manufacturing warranty states that you deserve a NIB(New In Box)
replacement for the manufacturing defect.
If you get a refurb, your phone company is only ripping you off that much more. Don't allow it. haha
Old 06-25-2009, 08:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Arrive

livejazz is becoming a great contributor

Here's the rub:

Manufacturing replacements will, potentially, have the same defect because it is a manufacturing defect across the board. The phones that have made it out of the wicked loop are the ones manufactured in May or later and taken by Sprint and repaired. These will be dispensed as refurbs, but have no talk hours and no lifetime. Even though Sprint (or HTC, for that matter) never owned up to a problem, they are, one device at a time, repairing the problem, sometimes before they ever reach the end users hand. This is from personal knowledge and experience, as well as reading this and other forums. Best to get the refurb, not the NIB. Hope this clears things up a little.

matt
Old 06-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

mgioia2 knows their stuffmgioia2 knows their stuffmgioia2 knows their stuffmgioia2 knows their stuffmgioia2 knows their stuffmgioia2 knows their stuff

That sucks man...i just got a refurb because my keyboard died as well but honestly this phone is better made than my origirnal NIB phone was...
Old 06-25-2009, 09:52 PM
ott
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

ott is keeping up the good workott is keeping up the good work

Their are times where a refurb is better than a NIB, sometimes the NIB sit on shelves for who knows how long and don't have the newer parts or sw, true the TP hasn't had any new SW but I have noticed better keyboards the last few months. When the TP first came out we would see this a lot! But not near as much anymore. The "reason" for the keyboard going out is the pressure on the spacebar. Directly under the spacebar is where the ribbon that runs it comes from the keyboard to the circuit board and to much pressure over time ruins this or can unattach it from the keyboard causing it to fail. So replacing the keyboard with one that has a good ribbon should work fine, I have done this twice with mine. Their are also rumors that their are ground contacts on the back housing of the phone that ground the keyboard, and if they were to get bent somehow and not ground the keyboard then it will fail too, and bending them back will work again, I'm not sure how true this is cause I haven't tried it but it's worth a shot.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro